Big Squid
Edna Barrie has forwarded along some pictures of large fish (and one large frog). I don't see any reason to think any of these aren't real.

image image image image
Categories: AnimalsPhotos/Videos
Posted by The Curator on Thu May 12, 2005
The frog is certainly real, as I've seen ones like it in Africa. I don't doubt the squid pictures, either, although the largest one I've ever personally seen was probably three feet long. The horseshoe crab (it isn't a stingray like the picture claims), though, I do wonder about. I'll have to look into how big they get.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  02:06 AM
I would believe these are real, i mean we've explored 1% of the ocean so far.
The possiblities are ENDLESS. ^^ so cool, the giant squid
Posted by Yushi  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  02:07 AM
Yes, that is so not a stingray. I can't believe they got the name wrong. That is a horseshoe crab. But, wow, the size surprises me and I thought those at the beach were pretty big.
Posted by nicknack  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  02:49 AM
From what I've been able to find out, the largest species of horseshoe crab is usually only 24 inches (about 60 centimetres) long. That's only the normal size, though, so they could get larger. Even so, that one in the picture is considerably larger than 24 inches long.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  03:20 AM
I'm ready to believe that the giant squid is for real, although the eye looks a bit strange on the second picture. But this kind of critter, though elusive, is known to exist.

In my opinion, the horseshoe crab is a fake. On the one hand, they don't get that big, and I don't think that they could live if they did (too much weight for the legs to carry; too much food to gather to feed such a big beast, which is a slow feeder and would only get slower at such a large size). On the other hand, it looks like it's been cleverly photoshopped on the picture. Isn't it funny that the tail is the same colour as the rest of the body, as it should be partly hidden by the reflection on the water? I'm waiting for the original picture to turn up...
Posted by Christophe Thill  in  Paris (France)  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  04:51 AM
The horseshoe crab one is obviously a fake, as said in the post by Accipiter in partibus infidelium; the females only get at maximum 2 feet _long_. If this were real, it would be a major find. As for the squid and frog pictures - absolutely real. It has been documented that giant squid can get up to 30 feet long including their tentacles!
This is off of the subject of living sea creatures, but check out this giant fossil centipede!!
Posted by Nymph  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  05:14 AM
Millipede - oops!
Posted by Nymph  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  05:15 AM
They all look real, except for the stingray one...that one is interesting...if it's fake, then it's done very, very well.

The frog is real for sure, and those squid are easy to believe...but that stingray/crab thing is a little larger than life.

-The King
Posted by The King  in  NY  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  07:13 AM
NOT a stingray. HORSE SHOE CRAB.

That is a deffinate fake. The picture of the person might be real, but the crab was edited in at that large size.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  08:26 AM
I've seen a lot of big horshoe crabs in Cape Cod... but not THAT big. The others are real, but I'm voting down on that one. I saw a frog just like that at an aquarium. It was in a tank with a sign that said, "Beware of the Killer Attack Frog." (Just a joke of course, but a frog of that size is rather unnerving.)
Posted by PlantPerson  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  08:27 AM
...Would like to have a bit of calamari now...
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  08:27 AM
I bet #2 is fake too. I think it captures squid laying on the table or glass. Look at the "reflection" of the box on the left.
Posted by Loxx  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  11:16 AM
The stingray is real. The squids look as real as the octopus in "Ed Wood." I guess the frog is real, if you think the budweiser frogs are reall. It's a dang puppet, for cryin' out loud. That kid would be tossing that thing like a hot potato if it was real. Look at its eyes. You people are so gullible. But the stingray is definitely real.
Posted by booch  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  12:02 PM
There is no picture of a stingray.
Frogs that large DO exist. I think all little boys would want to hold one.
The first squid looks really real, and the 2nd just looks bad b/c it looks like a still taken from a video.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  12:19 PM
Seriously, what is that guy gonna do w/ that little net, even if the horse shoe crab was real?
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  12:19 PM
This is a sting ray...they're soft:

This is a horse shoe crab. They have a hard shell.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  12:21 PM
Have you ever been to California? It's called a STING RAY. My uncle stepped on one once and bled like a stuck pig. Oh, and I've got a kermit puppet that looks realer than that thing. BUD WISE ERRRRRRRRRR....
Posted by booch  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  12:26 PM
Stinray -

Horseshoe crab -

Notice the segmentation. The picture in the topic is a horseshoe crab.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  01:40 PM
Booch...SHUTUP. You obviously don't know what you're talking about. You've had TWO people show you TWO different sets of pictures that prove you wrong.

Sting rays are soft...
The animal in the pic that Alex posted is NOT soft. It's got a crunchy outshell and one hell of a spike on it's tail. They're easy to find on the beach, and are very easy to pick up, if they have been stranded.

What is the deal? Why the hell would I post something that was wrong? I've hardly ever wrong, and when I am it's about something stupid like song lyrics. BAH! I'm going home!
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  03:40 PM
Ummm... what? You're rude, and wrong. We're not talking about the two pictures sent by a couple of goofs, we're talking abut the fake picture of the stingray. How in the blue blazes do you know that Alex's pic is not soft? Do you know that if you touch your computer screen, they're ALL not soft? What do you have on your monitor? Get some windex, and some class, before you start to give me the bizness.
PS- The reason you would post something that is wrong is bacause you're not a very smart person. You don't even know how to spell Meagan.
PSS- West Coast rules
Posted by booch  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  04:44 PM
booch, do you honestly think that looks like a stingray? Charybdis already mentioned the segmentation, can't you see that?

By the way not everybody spells their name the way you think they do.
Posted by lvt  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  05:02 PM
The frog is definately real. It's an African pixie frog, they get very large. I have one but it's just a baby now.
Posted by lvt  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  05:05 PM
Dear Dumbass... aka Booch.

It's a crab and not a stingray obviously. You don't even need to be a layperson to know this, just a semi-educated one. Now be man enough to admit when you were wrong. You spouted off your mouth, thinking you knew something, when really you were wrong. Be man enough to admit that... you giving men a bad name... little boy!

PS - It's her name, given to her by her parents so I'm pretty sure she knows how to spell it better than you. What's next, you gonna start bitchin' at Alex for not spelling his name Alec?

PSS - The East Coast rules as everyone knows. Where is the US seat of federal government? Where is the "Capitol" building? Where is the Pentegon? Yes, occasionally we do let some dumbass hick from the West (aka Bush) into the group, but it's only so you guys won't riot again!
Posted by Mark-N-Isa  in  Midwest USA  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  05:35 PM
The first picture is real, squid do get that big, and we have found many specimen of giant squid like that one.
The second looks fake. It has the *possibility* of being real, again, squids can get that big, but it is of a very poor quality and the eye looks like it is a "shrinky-dink".
The third is definitly a fake, and not a sting ray, its a horseshoe crab. Horseshoe crabs just don't jet that big. I don't know how the person mistook it for a sting ray, but there are ignorant people out there.
The forth picture is real, the kid is holding some sort of bullfrog or toad from africa, where I have seen them that size.

I still don't get how they mixed up a sting ray and a horseshoe crab, jeez...
Posted by Draconegia  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  05:47 PM
Mark-n-Jen,
Please don't. You don't know what you're getting in to. But since you started it...
It doesn't surpise me at ALL that you and Jen are experts on crabs.
I'm all man, bud, and to prove it, I won't get into a little sissy name-calling game with some midwestern corn holer, um, corn eater.
Lay off Meagan- if she can't spell her name right, what do you care? Do you IM each other secretly?
You don't HAVE a coast- just dirt. You are part of the unimportant afterthought, the middle. It's the place where Dave Matthews jettisons his tanks, and for good reason. That's where it belongs.
I don't have a beef with you. Let's be friends. Mark-n-Jen, my friends with the crabs.
Posted by booch  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  05:59 PM
Like Draconegia said...

"I don't know how the person mistook it for a sting ray, but there are ignorant people out there."

That's you that's being referred to there Booch. Which is BTW what seeps out of your ass when you "think" you have to fart but really have the shits! wink

As for all the other drivel you spouted...

Boo-Hoo... you really hurt my feelings. NOT! smile
Like I said, you're a dumbass! I also noticed you still haven't addressed your mistake. I thought you said it was a "stingray?" What's up there?

I first suspected that you were just ignorant, but it now seems as though your stupid! I bet the educated people of the area really appreciate your "representation" of them!

rolleyes
Posted by Mark-N-Isa  in  Midwest USA  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  06:25 PM
Um, I hate to be picky about it, Alex, but there are NO pictures of fish here. What we have are two squids (cephalopod mollusks), a horseshoe crab (which is technically an arachnid, not a true crab, and a million miles from being a stingray), and an outsized amphibian of undetermined species (though it reminds me of the Australian Cane Toads).

I just had to get that out of my system.
Posted by Big Gary, pedantic again  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  06:28 PM
Mark,
Do you kiss that crab-infested Jen with that mouth? Clean up your act, and get some class.

It's a stingray.

I bet you're a democrat, with a foul mouth like that.
Posted by booch  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  07:13 PM
Nope not democrat...

But with a brain like yours I'd bet your Republican!

No, it's not a stingray...

BTW you can't even spell your own name right...
it's spelled B-I-T-C-H!
Posted by Mark-N-Isa  in  Midwest USA  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  07:47 PM
NOBODY could be that stupid! Booch is obviously just "taking the piss out of you". He's just trying to get you stirred up, and it's working. Ignore him.

It's definitely a horseshoe crab, and it's way too big to be real.
Posted by Peter L.  in  Australia  on  Thu May 12, 2005  at  08:45 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.