The Man-Eating Tree of Madagascar Hoax, 1874
Mule elected G.O.P. committeeman, 1938
Rare planetary alignment decreases gravity, 1976
Man flies by own lung power, 1934
Can a bar of soap between your sheets ease muscle cramps?
Prof. Wingard's Death Ray Hoax, 1876
Dog wins art contest, 1974
Iceberg floats into Sydney Harbor, 1978
The Sandpaper Test, 1960
Princess Caraboo, servant girl who became a princess, 1817
Best of the Forum – 25th May 07
As some people receive Museum updates via RSS feed, or just don't frequent the forum, we have decided to round up some of the most interesting threads each week for all to see.

imageRabbit-Headed Cat (Smerk)
Two carcasses discovered in 1988 and 1993 are thought to be a new species – rabbit-headed wildcats. These Kellas cats seem to be rare, and investigators are urging landowners and gamekeepers to help them discover more. Sadly, the rabbit-like ears aren’t as impressive as I’d hoped.

Get your free virus now! (Accipiter)
“Is your PC virus-free? Get it infected here!”
409 people decided to click the text advertisement that Finnish IT security expert Didier Stevens had placed on Google’s Adword. Stevens’s experiment was aiming to show that such advertisements could be used with malicious intent. There was, of course, no virus.

June 6, Théopolis World Contact with Aliens (Antoll MA)
On June 6th, the annual gathering to officially ask the alien gods to visit will take place in Théopolis.

Boost Car Remote With Your Skull (Tah)
This video (not suitable for work, due to the type of adverts on the site) demonstrates how, by placing your car remote under your chin and opening your mouth, you can boost the range of the remote. Apparently it uses your oral cavity to amplify the signal. The video doesn’t actually show the remote being used at the same time as showing the car react, so it could be faked. There’s really no way of telling. A couple of forum members have tried it, with mixed results.

Tims Don’t Look Like Bobs (Tah)
A new study reveals that the more a person ‘resembles’ their name, the more likely it is that others will remember it.
Categories: Animals, Extraterrestrial Life, Psychology, Technology
Posted by Boo on Fri May 25, 2007
We're Famous!!
Posted by Malfunctioned  in  Redbridge, London, England, UK, Europe, Earth  on  Fri May 25, 2007  at  06:40 PM
That's a very cool idea!! Neat!
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Fri May 25, 2007  at  09:13 PM
That's a great idea! Even though I visit the forum, a lot of the time I just don't have the time to read everything and this way, I'll be kept up to date with all the big stuff.
Posted by Nettie  in  Perth, Western Australia  on  Fri May 25, 2007  at  09:15 PM
Good idea, Boo. And I'll forgive you for making me look like a rabbit-headed cat. wink
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Fri May 25, 2007  at  11:58 PM
Great idea. And I would just like to point out that I currently lead two to one (to one to one to a bunch of zeroes). cheese

(I think she was calling you a rabbit-headed cat, too, Smerk. wink)
Posted by Tah  in  Idaho (Yes, Idaho)  on  Sat May 26, 2007  at  03:01 AM
It's not a competition, Tah. raspberry
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Sun May 27, 2007  at  02:17 AM
I like the idea of Smerk as a rabbit-headed cat... wink
Posted by Madmouse  in  Edinburgh  on  Sun May 27, 2007  at  10:29 AM
It would certainly make feeding her simple. "Here's your kibble and water bowl. Enjoy!"

Or would she eat carrots? Hmmmmm.

And is she house-broken? big surprise
Posted by Accipiter  on  Mon May 28, 2007  at  01:42 AM
Sorry, but those pictures have no resemblance to any "rabbit" features at all, even in just a passing glance.

Just looks like a cat, to me. Maybe I just don't get it.....
Posted by Josh  in  Texas  on  Mon May 28, 2007  at  12:50 PM
That dead cat looks remarkably like... a dead cat.
Posted by Vincent  on  Tue May 29, 2007  at  03:13 AM
Yep, that "rabbit-headed cat" looks exactly like a cat-headed cat. Maybe those Scottish people who confuse rabbits with cats could get together with the Japanese people who buy "poodles" that turn out to be lambs, and they could all chip in on a mammal-identification guidebook. Maybe even some biology lessons.

... This reminds me of a story I heard the other day. Some students wanted to play a prank on Karl Linneus (the father of taxonomy). One of them dressed up as the Devil and came roaring into the professor's lab, shouting, "I will eat you." Linneus glanced at the monster and said calmly, "No, you have horns and hooves; therefore you eat grass and leaves." Then he turned around and went back to work sorting specimens.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Muleshoe, Texas  on  Tue May 29, 2007  at  07:19 PM
Whoops, that should be Karl LINNEAUS.
That's right, look up the name AFTER I post to the internet, good idea.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Muleshoe, Texas  on  Tue May 29, 2007  at  07:23 PM
No, wait, I guess it's LINNAEUS.
I give up.