Can a bar of soap between your sheets ease muscle cramps?
The damp spot that hoaxed a city, 1912
The disumbrationist art hoax, 1924
The Berners Street Hoax, 1810
Jennifer Love Hewitt's Disappearing Breasts
A black lion: real or fake?
The Hoaxing Hitchhiker, 1941
Bonsai Kittens, 2000
Script of Casablanca rejected, 1982
Samsung invents the on/off switch
Best of the forum - 17th August 07
Well, after my holiday, my laptop went down, and it's only this week that I'm back online. I do extend my apologies for the lack of 'Best of the Forum' posts for the last few weeks.

Receive the Holy Oil! (Transfrmr)
Forum member Transfrmr found a rather... interesting advertisement in a local free newspaper.
The advertisement (see above link) shows the text:
"I heard voices calling my name but saw nobody. Sometimes the voices told me to throw
myself under a car. To top it off I also suffered with terrible nightmares...I had no peace
at all!
I did a chain of Prayer, used the Holy Oil and fight for changes in my life. Gradually,
the grudges and pain were replaced with peace, forgiveness and joy."

The holy oil comes absolutely free, apparently. If I lived nearby, I'd have been tempted to go along and pick some up.

Man says hold the cheese, claims McDonalds didn't, sues for $10 million (AussieBruce)
Jeromy Jackson, who is allergic to cheese, claims that a local McDonalds made a mistake in his order, causing him to have to be rushed to hospital. He's now suing the chain.
A friend says that Jackson at least five times checked they had his order correct, but when he ate the burger, the reaction was instantaneous. He allegedly ate the burger in a darkened room, causing him to not notice the cheese.
As many people in the forum have noted, surely someone with such severe food allergies would make sure to check his food for himself before consuming it. Whilst this story may be what it seems, it does tingle my spidey-sense somewhat.

CIA behind Wikipedia entries (Smerk)
A new identification program on the popular site Wikipedia has shown that, amongst others, frequent users include CIA, the British Labour Party, and the Vatican, all of whom edit and update not only their own entries, but others besides.

We Have Broken Speed of Light (Tah)
Two German physicists have broken the speed of light, they've told New Scientist magazine.
Doctors Nimtz and Stahlhofen claim to have completed an experiment wherein microwave photons have travelled up to three feet instantaneously.
Categories: Advertising, Business/Finance, Food, Health/Medicine, Law/Police/Crime, Technology
Posted by Boo on Fri Aug 17, 2007
The Mcdonald's guy....2 things

A) Check your food well before you eat it.

B) If it's liable to KILL you, then have better sense than to get food from a food chain that is notorious for getting your order *wrong* 99.9% of the time (judging from my own personal experience; love the food, but they never get my order right the first time).
Posted by Josh  in  Texas  on  Fri Aug 17, 2007  at  08:30 PM
"CIA behind Wikipedia entries (Transfrmr)"

Wow. I feel so slighted now. downer
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Sat Aug 18, 2007  at  02:01 AM
I was just going to say that, flattered as I am, I don't remember posting the CIA atory, nor am I as fiery or fierce as Smerk tongue laugh

Although perhaps if I combined my Holy Oil with Smerk's CIA Wikipedia entries we would have a force to be reckoned with wink
Posted by Transfrmr  in  deep trouble  on  Sat Aug 18, 2007  at  02:43 AM
Gah! Sorry, Smerk. I don't know why I'd put Transfrmr down as the author of that one. Forgive me?
smile
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Sat Aug 18, 2007  at  11:49 AM
I agree with Josh. Although I've never had McDonalds mess up my order, as far as I remember but I haven't been there in a couple of years, the last line of defense in a food alergy is the person eating the food - especially if the alergy item is visible! Darkened room? The light would have to be completly off to not see the cheese if you lift the bun top. And I've never heard of a lactose alergy being that severe, it could happen but I've never heard of it and I am sure it would have been published. More people have milk problems than peanut problems but it is the peanuts you hear about.

And on the speed of light story. There are no such things as microwave photons.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Sat Aug 18, 2007  at  01:16 PM
I'd be surprised if McDonalds actually uses real cheese on its burgers.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Sat Aug 18, 2007  at  07:47 PM
I am a former CIA-agent and despite being completely drunk I have to totally disagree. The CIA would never ever touch Wikipedia, because this is "people's stuff" and we would never dare to mess with people's live or opinion.

The same counts for the Vatican (I am Roman-catholic priest since I left the CIA): never ever would we dare to influence people's healthy opinion.

The same counts for the British Labour Party (that I am a proud member of): we just changed the information on Wikipedia, because the provided information was wrong.

Best regards,

aeiou
Posted by G.Byron  in  Tokyo  on  Sat Aug 18, 2007  at  08:30 PM
I'll forgive you, only because it's you, Boo. smile

I did wonder if you did just get yourself all confused or something.
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Sun Aug 19, 2007  at  02:35 AM
Confusion? Not really ... let's call it Sapporo beer and Wodka. Ouch.

Gonna be a mess today at the mess in my catholic church, for that CIA agent who got killed by the mob for changing a Wikipedia entry about whale-fishing. Vote Labour!
Posted by aeiou  in  Tokyo  on  Sun Aug 19, 2007  at  02:42 AM
I've got lactose intolerance, which means if I eat cheese, I get sick, but not majorly sick. This guy sounds like a full-blown lactose allergy - in which case, not only should he check his food, but he shouldn't be anywhere near any food that's been stored/prepared anywhere near milk/cheese etc! The slightest bit can set it off - even if he didn't have cheese in his burger, a splash of melted cheese from the burger next to it could set off his allergy. I'd be slightly dubious about this - sounds like a scam to me.
Posted by Nona  in  London  on  Mon Aug 20, 2007  at  08:17 AM