Prof. Wingard's Death Ray Hoax, 1876
Snowball the Monster Cat, 2000
The Sandpaper Test, 1960
Eccentric's last prank, 66 years after his death, 1900
The Case of the Vanishing Belly Button, 1964
The worms inside your face
The Instant Color TV Hoax, 1962
Brief History of Triple-Decker Buses
Jernegan's Gold Accumulator Scam, 1898
Bizarre pictographs of Emmanuel Domenech, 1860
Bee Update
The exterminator came today and got rid of the bees in my wall. The good news is that the bee hive turned out to be nowhere near as big as he had first estimated when he examined my wall last week. I think it only clocked in at around 30lb. The bad news is that it was nowhere near as big as he estimated (since I was secretly hoping to be able to brag about a 300lb honeycomb in my wall). Here's a photo I snapped of part of what he removed. There was more in the wall above, from which this large piece had detached itself. image
Categories: Miscellaneous
Posted by The Curator on Thu Oct 21, 2004
That's a cool picture of the beehive. Did you get to keep any of the honey?
Posted by Big Gary  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Thu Oct 21, 2004  at  03:50 AM
Well, I'm gonna have nightmares about that for weeks to come. Great.
Posted by Matt Plante  in  Trois-Rivieres, Qc, Canada  on  Thu Oct 21, 2004  at  05:04 AM
Insulation and drywall don't make for very good honey...
Posted by The Hermit  on  Thu Oct 21, 2004  at  09:23 AM
...not to mention insecticide. Cool pic, thanks. (KV's sister)
Posted by cvirtue  in  deleted  on  Thu Oct 21, 2004  at  09:28 AM
...maybe he couldn't keep the honey, but he could keep the wax! museumofhoaxes.com/beeswaxcandles is just around the corner, I can see it all now...
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL, USA  on  Thu Oct 21, 2004  at  10:03 AM
Beeswax candles! I should have thought of that. Could have been the christmas gift for everyone in my family this year.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Thu Oct 21, 2004  at  12:38 PM
Many insecticides are toxic when burned. You might not be able to keep the wax either. THAT is a COOL PICTURE though.
Posted by Bill B.  on  Thu Oct 21, 2004  at  05:14 PM
No killer bees then.....
Hmmmmm.....dissapointing confused
Posted by Paul  on  Thu Oct 21, 2004  at  05:25 PM
Good photo, glad its not as bad as first thought beats our wasp nest.
Posted by Sylvia  in  Southampton, England  on  Thu Oct 21, 2004  at  06:46 PM
You should frame a piece of beehive and keep it as a memento. What a cool (if somewhat unnerving and expensive) experience! One question though: why are the walls in your guestroom painted fire engine red?
Posted by PlantPerson  on  Thu Oct 21, 2004  at  07:12 PM
OMG and EWWW. I'll take spiders over bees & wasps.
Posted by Brenda  in  San Antonio, TX  on  Thu Oct 21, 2004  at  07:12 PM
PlantPerson, that's cranberry red, not fire-engine red. At least that's what the color was called in the store. The original idea was to turn the room into a library with burgundy walls. But although the paint sample looked like what we wanted in the store, when we put it on the walls it turned out completely different. Then we tossed the library idea and turned the room into a guest room... though it still had all my books in it. The color fiasco was completely my fault. Next time my wife gets to pick the color.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Thu Oct 21, 2004  at  07:52 PM
DUDE... Our house had a bee problem once, but not that big, and not in the wall... It's kinda cool in an odd sort of way. ^_^''
Posted by Mewtaila  in  Happy Place, Free Country USA  on  Fri Oct 22, 2004  at  03:30 AM
Wasps keep building a little nest near the back door of my house. We have a small overhang over a 10 X 12 porch. We see them flying around most days, but when we leave the house in the morning you can see they've started the nest again. Always in the same place! It's a little bit scary going out. I've started putting a blanket over the baby...who thinks were actually playing peek-a-boo & keeps trying to pull the blanket off. My husband got stung on the lip and could barely talk for 2 days.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL, USA  on  Sun Oct 24, 2004  at  12:30 PM
Maegan, a good remedy for bee and wasp stings is antihistimine (benadryl, for example). Just today a friend's little boy got stung and we gave him a dose of Children's Formula Benadryl and he was all better in five minutes.
Posted by Big Gary  on  Sun Oct 24, 2004  at  11:04 PM
Wow, this is exactly the same situation as that in one of the portables at my school. Apparantly, there's a beehive between the ceiling platform someplace, and my teacher must've killed at least 30 wasps after school started. XD

It's really quite horrible though, I wonder when they're going to get it removed. <___<;;
Posted by Highschool Student  in  Canada  on  Mon Oct 25, 2004  at  08:08 PM
Holy crap man, that's nuts! I've caught bees before, and then thrown them across the street in glass jars, but I would never be able to handle something like that!
Posted by Mr. Starbucks  on  Sat Jan 01, 2005  at  01:51 AM