The Man-Eating Tree of Madagascar Hoax, 1874
Monkeys pick cotton, a 19th-century urban legend
Dead Body of Loch Ness Monster Found, 1972
Jean Gauntt, the Immortal Baby, 1939
The Great New York Zoo Escape Hoax, 1874
Did Paul McCartney die on Nov. 9, 1966?
The Nobody For President Campaign, 1940 to Present
BMW's April Fool's Day Hoaxes
The Hoaxing Hitchhiker, 1941
Use your left ear to detect lies
Batman’s Greatest Boner
image A series of scans has appeared on the scans_daily LiveJournal blog, apparently from an early Batman comic (Batman #66). It details a 'boner' made by the Joker, and his subsequent efforts to force Batman 'into a boner'. The word boner is repeated so often that it seems like it has to be a joke, especially when you read lines such as "Gotham City will rue the day it mentioned the word Boner!" Perhaps someone photoshopped the word 'boner' into an issue of Batman. But I don't think so. I think it's real, although I can't be sure since I don't have a copy of that particular Batman comic (in fact, I don't have any Batman comics). The cover of that issue can be seen here. It's titled 'The Joker's Comedy of Errors!' So the issue itself is real, and 'boner' can mean an error. I think that it's only in recent decades that boner has come to predominantly refer to something else.

Another thing... in one of the panels a newspaper headline reads "Wrong-Way Batman! Lawman Aims For California, Winds Up In England!" This is a reference to Wrong-Way Corrigan, an aviator who wanted to fly solo from New York to Dublin but wasn't given permission to do so. So on July 17, 1938 he took off for California and 'accidentally' went the wrong-way and ended up in Ireland.
Categories: Art, Literature/Language
Posted by The Curator on Sat Mar 05, 2005
When guys are younger, we can get an erection when we least expect it. So the word "boner" started to be used when, as for example, a guy in class had to stand up when a teacher called his name, class mates would laugh and say he made a boner. Years after, thats what people started to associate that word with.
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Mon Mar 07, 2005  at  11:19 AM
Stephen, you Boner-ignorant twit. Boner was a family name derived from one's occupation, like "Cooper","Tanner",etc. Mr. Boner worked in a chicken plant, with Mr. Choker... Dar
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Mon Mar 07, 2005  at  03:31 PM
You're tha one!!
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Mon Mar 07, 2005  at  03:56 PM
I don't think I've met anyone named Boner, but I know a family named Bohn. They pronounce it "Bonn," but they don't fool anybody.
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Mon Mar 07, 2005  at  05:30 PM
Is Wrong Way Corrigan hoax-worthy? From reading the background info on About.com, it's clear what his goal was when he took off. Should he be in the museum?
Posted by Katey  on  Mon Mar 07, 2005  at  05:45 PM
Another site to have previously posted these images (back in February).
Posted by Katey  on  Mon Mar 07, 2005  at  05:59 PM
A premature Joker elation, as it were.
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Mon Mar 07, 2005  at  09:08 PM
When I was a kid in the 70's "boner" meant a big mistake or an erect penis. It depended on how you used it. It wouldn't be at all surprising if this is the actual text from the comic. It just means blunder here. But sure is funny now.
Posted by Getting Old  on  Tue Mar 08, 2005  at  11:45 PM
I think the comics are real. I'm portuguese (that's in Europe, by the way...) and I have allways known the two meanings of boner. How the hell are there American people that don't know it?...
Posted by corax  in  Lisbon - Portugal  on  Sat Mar 12, 2005  at  10:43 AM
According to the American Heritage Dictionary (teehee, DICtionary...), the word "boner", in its original sense, comes from "bone(head)"+"er". It sounds likely enough.

Posted by Adam  in  Soviet Russia  on  Fri Mar 18, 2005  at  08:28 PM
This is so real! I found it on ebay going for nearly 200 bucks. Look for Batman #66 from 1951. Also, grab Wizard magazine #164 (June 2005) and look on page 12 there is a little segment called "Joker's Wacky Boner" - yikes! It's fantastic if you ask me. They need more stuff like this in comics!!! smile
Posted by Remy LeBeau  on  Thu Apr 28, 2005  at  07:37 AM
For whoever is interested here is a link to an article which appears to be critiquing
Posted by Remy LeBeau  on  Sun Jun 12, 2005  at  09:06 PM
The Redshirt site is mine. To the best of my knowledge the issue is genuine. I have a scan of the entire issue including the other stories if anyone is interested. If it is photoshopped it is by far the best photoshop I have seen, as every single instance of text matches perfectly and there is no evidence of foul play.

And hey, that was what the word meant in those days. Its like the word 'gay' being happy back then. Just funny from todays perspective
Posted by Matt Marshall  on  Mon Jun 20, 2005  at  01:37 PM
I am really trying to find a digital copy pf the issue. If you have a digital copy, I know many others (I will pass it on to) who are anxious to see it as well. I would really appreciate any help you can give me.

-Koots <^^> Gegol! Gegol!

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Posted by Koots  in  Seoul  on  Sat Sep 10, 2005  at  08:49 AM
Ireland is not in England.
Posted by egg  on  Thu Nov 17, 2005  at  10:35 AM
on words or phrases changing meanings over time?
It happens so often, I make believe a time traveller went back in time and is having his or her joke...

such as...
the old-time song standard ALL OF ME
"all of me, why not take all of me..."

or LITTLE RASCALS...
"my dad can 'lick' you dad..."

psst.. buy him dinner first...

RENFIELD
Posted by RENFIELD  in  New Jersey USA  on  Wed Jul 16, 2008  at  01:00 PM
I know this one's old, but just for anyone who doesn't know yet and is curious; someone at DC must have a sense of humour because this comic was recently included (preserving its original quality) in a compilation of Joker stories entitled The Joker: Greatest Stories Ever Told. The comic is FULL of references to "boners", even in a few panels not published on these sites.

So... there you have it...
Posted by The Lilac Pilgrim  in  Scotland  on  Sat Aug 09, 2008  at  08:25 PM
I guess the innuendo must have been very intentional even when it was fist published.. From what I read earlier here it was around the time the word got it's current meaning. The writer could still use the excuse that he was decent and didn't know better than that the word still had the old meaning... cramming it in as often as possible.
Posted by Alecks  on  Thu Jan 22, 2009  at  06:21 AM
snake i fear boner . it made me crazy. boner is the thing makes crazy . bull licking my self
Posted by juju  in  newganda, ar  on  Fri Jul 24, 2009  at  11:43 PM
Comments: Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2