The Great Wall of China Hoax, 1899
What do the lines on Solo cups mean?
'Solar Armor' freezes man in Nevada Desert, 1874
Man flies by own lung power, 1934
Adolf Hitler Baby Photo Hoax, 1933
Female thieves hide money in their bras, 1950
Stotham, Massachusetts: the town that didn't exist, 1920
The Berners Street Hoax, 1810
Did Poe say 'The best things in life make you sweaty'?
Actress who claimed she was kidnapped by puritans, 1950
Barbecued Cats?
After receiving a complaint that some residents of a Houston apartment complex were barbecuing stray cats, the Bureau of Animal Regulation and Control investigated but determined the complaint was a hoax. But their conclusion isn't that reassuring, because after analyzing bone fragments from nearby dumpsters, the bureau did find that "There are animals that have been consumed that are similar to the size and structure of a cat."

So, if not cats, what were these animals that were consumed? Small dogs? Giant rats? Chupacabras?

Also, this is news to me. According to Texas Penal Code 49.02, it's legal to cook and eat cats "as long as it's a wild or stray cat and was not killed in a cruel manner." But you're not allowed to cook your pet cat.
Categories: Animals, Law/Police/Crime
Posted by The Curator on Thu Jun 18, 2009
Rabbits have bone structures very close to that of cats.
Posted by Doc  on  Thu Jun 18, 2009  at  11:17 AM
You were funnin me about eating cats in Texas!
You're good.
Posted by Shel-tone  in  Austin  on  Thu Jun 18, 2009  at  02:53 PM
Perhaps it could be raccoons or possums, too.

Personally, I wouldn't eat a feral anything that I found wandering around a city or neighbourhood. No telling what they might have gotten into, or what might have gotten into it.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Thu Jun 18, 2009  at  04:26 PM
Here in Australia you can't keep a Wallaby or Kangaroo as a pet but you can eat them. (My local supermarket has both grin )
Posted by Joel B1  in  Hobart, Tasmania  on  Thu Jun 18, 2009  at  08:01 PM
I'm sure there's a joke in here about Chinese take-away and cats, but I'll be damned if I can find it.
Posted by KDP  in  Madill, OK  on  Fri Jun 19, 2009  at  09:35 AM
I was thinking possums too, or possibly nutrias (which are pretty close to giant rats, actually).

It's Texas. They'll barbecue anything.
Posted by Cobwebs  on  Fri Jun 19, 2009  at  01:02 PM
I'm not going to eat my pet cat, but I can't see anything morally worse about eating cats as opposed to eating cows, pigs, sheep, etc.

A friend of mine was once served kitten stew in a very remote Bolivian village. She didn't find out what kind of meat she was until after dinner, but she said it was greasy and white. Guinea pigs taste a lot better, according to her.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Pasadena, Texas  on  Mon Jun 22, 2009  at  08:58 AM
Whoops. That was supposed to say, "She didn't find out what kind of meat she was EATING until after dinner ..."

Most likely she already knew what kind of meat she was (that being what in Polynesia is known as long pig).
Posted by Big Gary  in  Typoville  on  Mon Jun 22, 2009  at  10:41 PM
Buddy of mine claims cat tastes rather sharp and unpleasant. Dog is apparently much better. Based in part on his input, I really want to try dog but have no real interest in eating cat. Especially not feral cat.
Posted by outeast  on  Tue Jun 23, 2009  at  06:17 AM
As to not eating your own pet - In the EU these days, all horse owners have to sign a pledge for Brussels ( the administartion seat of the EU ) that they will not eat their horses.

What this will do to the Boulanger Cheval industry in western France and Belgium, I do not know . . .
Posted by D F Stuckey  in  Auckland New Zealand  on  Thu Jul 09, 2009  at  07:52 AM
Texas Penal Code 49.02 pertains to Public Intoxication, not culinary preferences.
Posted by Anon  in  Texas  on  Wed Jul 29, 2009  at  05:20 PM