September Morn, the painting that shocked the censor, 1913
Did Poe say 'The best things in life make you sweaty'?
A black lion: real or fake?
Van Gogh's ear exhibited, 1935
Tourist Guy 9/11 Hoax, Sep 2001
Fake Photos of Very Large Animals
Stotham, Massachusetts: the town that didn't exist, 1920
The Cottingley Fairies, 1917
The Great New York Zoo Escape Hoax, 1874
The boy with the golden tooth, 1593
New Atlantic Tunnel
The new Atlantic Tunnel will open in September 2009. It's being built by the Atlantic Tunnel Corporation (who else?). Check out their website to learn all about this amazing feat of engineering. You can even enter a competition to win a trip on the first train through the tunnel. There's a rumor that the London ad agency TBWAGGT is also somehow involved in this.
Categories: April Fools Day, Exploration/Travel
Posted by The Curator on Thu Apr 01, 2004
I believe that I discovered either your April Fool's Joke or a bug, and if it's the former I am not happy. Every time you click a catagory or "next page" on the homepage it comes up with the homepage again. Which would be fine and good except you had an article about a painting that was rumored to be fake that I was doing an assignment on, and now I can't find the article.
Posted by Goo  in  Corinna, Maine (Currently)  on  Thu Apr 01, 2004  at  02:18 PM
So anyone know what happens if you enter the contest to win tickets?
Posted by roy the chimp  in  Lakewood, OH  on  Sat Apr 03, 2004  at  02:44 AM
The April 2004 issue of Popular Science has a serious article on this subject. A former MIT researcher proposes to build a neutrally buoyant tunnel, suspended 300 ft below the surface and anchored to the ocean floor. Trains would run in a vacuum and reach speeds of 4000 mph. Estimated cost is $88 - $175 billion. It would run between New York and London via Greenland and Iceland.
Posted by Al  on  Fri Aug 13, 2004  at  01:43 AM
The Atlantic Tunnel Corporation may have an anteriority problem with Harry Harrison "A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah" in Analog SF, April 72
Posted by BODIANSKY  in  Paris  on  Sat Jun 04, 2005  at  05:36 AM
It can't be possible. Word would have leaked out and it wouldn't be such a huge secret. Wouldn't they want everyone to know. Also, they say that it was built during and after WWII. Yeah sure. I believed it at first, then i thought about it. I would love to believe that it is true. In the future they will build it, but not yet.
Posted by Anthony  on  Wed Jun 22, 2005  at  07:27 PM
I don't know - it seems pretty... convincing. But then again, I'm rather gullible, heh.

But you're right, it does seem really outlandish (then again, people thought that going to the mood was outlandish not so long ago).
I'm going to chose NOT to believe it until I hear some more concrete evidence.
Posted by Jenna  on  Fri Aug 12, 2005  at  11:50 AM
You mean its just a hoax? Darn. I was planning on doing it for a school project.
Posted by Josh  on  Thu Sep 08, 2005  at  01:49 PM
Atlantictunnel.com seems to be an advertisement for Virgin Atlantic air services.
Posted by George Matthews  in  UK  on  Sat Aug 12, 2006  at  08:08 PM
Just watching this movie:

The Tunnel (1935)

In 1950, governments unite to build a transatlantic tunnel, but as with any other major engineering project, there are tough times ahead.

In the early days of the Talkies there was a craze for multi-lingual production. Parallel films were made using the same script and sets, but different casts for the different language versions. The Tunnel is sometimes lumped in with those films, but it is actually a swift remake of the 1933 German/French Der Tunnel.
Posted by Graeme Holt  in  Aus  on  Sat Mar 31, 2007  at  02:37 AM