Mencken's fake history of the bathtub, 1917
Baby Yoga, aka Swinging Your Kid Around Your Head
The Great Space Monkey Hoax, 1953
'Solar Armor' freezes man in Nevada Desert, 1874
The Olympic Underwear Relay, 1956
Article About Plagiarism Plagiarized
Status: Purposeful plagiarism
A hoax? A ploy? A gimmick? I'm not sure what to call this. Check out this piece by David Edelstein on plagiarism. Now read this, which reveals that Edelstein's piece on plagiarism was, except for the first and last lines, entirely plagiarized from other sources. Very clever! Seriously -- that's pretty neat. Very meta.

(This post was plagiarized from Penguins on the Equator... and thanks to Joe Littrell for the heads up about the New York Magazine piece.)
Categories: Literature/Language
Posted by The Curator on Tue May 09, 2006
Wonderful use of irony, isn't it? I should show this to my english teacher.
Posted by Dracul  on  Wed May 10, 2006  at  03:16 PM
Funny, a couple of weeks ago, I got the idea to "write" a book composed entirely of plagiarized passages from other, famous books (probably stuff in the public domain to avoid legal problems). I figured it would HAVE to become a best-seller.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu May 11, 2006  at  04:05 AM
Cranky Media Guy:
Can I plagiarize your idea? raspberry
Posted by fizz  on  Thu May 11, 2006  at  07:37 AM
Oddly, several weeks ago, I had the idea to 'write' a book entirely composed of passages plagiarized from other, more famous books (more than likely works in the public domain to avoid legal hassles). I figured it would have to become a top ten best-seller. raspberry
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Thu May 11, 2006  at  10:59 AM
A hoax? A ploy? A gimmick? I'm not sure what to call this. Very clever! Seriously -- that's pretty neat. Very meta.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Gun Barrel City, Texas, USA  on  Thu May 11, 2006  at  06:35 PM