Tourist Guy 9/11 Hoax, Sep 2001
The damp spot that hoaxed a city, 1912
The Man-Eating Tree of Madagascar Hoax, 1874
Cursed by Allah
Rare planetary alignment decreases gravity, 1976
What do the lines on Solo cups mean?
Samsung invents the on/off switch
BMW's April Fool's Day Hoaxes
Bonsai Kittens, 2000
The Case of the Vanishing Belly Button, 1964
April Fools Day 2008 - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Some more reports from April 1st: the good (or at least midly amusing), bad, and plain ugly.

The Good
List Universe posted the Top 10 Bizarre Genetically Modified Organisms. I saw this today, without realizing it was an April Fool's Day joke, and it had me going for a while. My favorite on the list was the paper tree which "grows square leaves that, when dried, are already usable as writing paper." • ThinkGeek wrote about a strange new Nintendo Wii game: Super Pii Pii Brothers. The point of the game: "A series of toilets are presented on screen and the challenge is to tilt your body to control a never-ending stream of pee." • The Norwegian energy company Statkraft released a video announcing they had developed a way to generate power from starlight. • WestJet announced that it would be converting overhead compartments on its planes into sleeper cabins. (Not that bad an idea.)

The Bad
A New Zealand radio station claimed that the Foo Fighters would be playing at an Auckland venue. Hundreds of people took the day off work. Some even booked plane tickets to make it to the concert. Sorry, no concert! • Two Los Angeles DJs pretended that a two-year-old was being tattooed in their studio. When the (fake) child began to scream, some listeners called the police. It was not only a stupid joke, it wasn't even original.

The Ugly
An Australian woman called emergency services to tell them her baby had fallen off the bed and stopped breathing. When the ambulances arrived, there was no sick baby. It was her idea of a hilarious April Fool. • But the absolute worst story from April 1st:
"Aswin, 19, a first year student of a private engineering college went for a swim in the Malankara reservoir near here along with friends. Soon after he entered the water, Aswin was seen struggling to stay afloat but his friends who watched him drowning from the banks of the reservoir mistook his cries for help to that of an April fool prank, the police said. By the time they realised their mistake, it was too late for the student. His body was later fished out from the reservoir by Fire Force with the help of local people, the police said."

Categories: April Fools Day
Posted by The Curator on Thu Apr 03, 2008
Okay, the drowning joke is not too funny, you know? I did this once the time and my friends thought it was too funny too, but they would not stop stepping on Raoul's Head! Ha ha hah, I am sorry, but that is a very old joke in The Land Of My Birth. We also tell the very funny story about the lady in town with the ravens down her blouse, but my favorite is the thrilling story of Love Overcoming Adversity, and the wrinkly scrotum. That one always makes me cry the tears... Hah ha, I am just fooling you- the scrotum in the story is not wrinkly at all, so there you are! Rrrraoul
Posted by Raoul  on  Thu Apr 03, 2008  at  02:00 AM
I'd quite like a lemur cat. In the late 1800s/early 1900s, a ringtail lemur was awared a prize at a British cat show. Judges decided it was a type of cat. A couple of ringtail lemurs were exported via Britain and were fed ham on the journey because they were considered a type of arboreal cat.
Posted by Sarah (Messybeast)  on  Thu Apr 03, 2008  at  02:31 AM
Super Pii Pii Brothers is a joke?

Nuts! I'd ordered a copy for myself and one for my nephew.
Posted by David B.  on  Thu Apr 03, 2008  at  11:59 AM
Aswin might have had more of a chance if his brother hadn't persuaded him to wear lead-lined swimming trunks to protect his 'valuables' from the radioactive heavy water.
Posted by David B.  on  Thu Apr 03, 2008  at  12:01 PM
You know at least the Grapple is real off that list of genetically modified foods. Its main site can be found here http://www.grapplefruits.com/index.html and you can also go to foodnetwrk.com and check out the fact that they had it featured on an 'Unwrapped' they did called 'Grapeful'. I knew that it was a real item because I happened to see it in my local supermarket once before.
Posted by Virginia  in  Nebraska  on  Thu Apr 03, 2008  at  04:12 PM
Poor kid... that's why April Fools Day is "The Evils of Deception"...
Posted by Jackie  on  Thu Apr 03, 2008  at  04:13 PM
The GloFish are also real; see here: http://www.glofish.com/

Apparently everything after the Grapples are fabricated, though. The Dolion, incidentally, appears to be a dog with a bad haircut, like that cat picture that was circulating some time ago.
Posted by Antenora  on  Thu Apr 03, 2008  at  08:02 PM
Glofish are real (unfortunately), and they are for sale at a pet store near my home.

I don't know of any tree that grows perfectly square (or rectangular) leaves, but there are many trees whose leaves can be used as writing paper. Many ancient and medieval Buddhist texts are written on palm leaves and on the leaves of the Bo tree. I have a souvenir from Cuba which consists of a preserved "sea grape" leaf with poems by Jose Marti (the great poet and national hero of Cuba) written on it. The sample in the picture looks more like a piece of birch bark, which in fact can also be used as writing paper. The inner bark of the tree is used, and the best time to strip it from the tree is early summer.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Eddy, Texas  on  Thu Apr 03, 2008  at  09:00 PM
You missed a good April Fools Troll joke!

Michael Arrington is suing FaceBook for $25 million in Statutory Damages.

Michael Arrington is a Troll.
Posted by Igor The Troll  in  Japan  on  Sun Apr 06, 2008  at  04:53 AM