New Anti-Spam Feature
About five days after I decided to have non-member comments be moderated, I've changed my mind. From now on there will be no moderation (it was a pain for me to do, plus it disrupted the spontaneity of comments). Instead, I've put in place a high-tech anti-spam feature in which people who submit comments have to first type in a word displayed in a box. Members won't have to do this. Hopefully the spammers won't be willing to do this. If they do it'll be a complete waste of their time since I'll promptly delete their spam.
Categories: Miscellaneous
Posted by The Curator on Thu Nov 11, 2004
very smart thing to do. but it's sad that spam became such a bother in the first place.
Posted by Alex  in  ny  on  Fri Nov 12, 2004  at  01:38 AM
Yay! Now all I have to do is have something worth posting. cheese
Posted by Reinstag  in  My Chair  on  Fri Nov 12, 2004  at  01:49 AM
Incidentally, the Grauniad recently claimed that spam was name for the Monty Python 'Spam' sketch. True or myth?
Posted by paul in prague  on  Fri Nov 12, 2004  at  06:02 AM
"Grauniad recently claimed that spam was name for the Monty Python 'Spam' sketch. True or myth?"

It looks like there is some truth to this. Several sites refer to the Monty Python orgin.

Here are a couple of interesting pages on spam and the origins of the name:

http://www.hkentcraig.com/HowInternetSpamGotItsName.html (This one even gives the transcript of the skit in question.)

Posted by Myst  on  Fri Nov 12, 2004  at  06:47 PM
Good idea, that must've been a pain to approve/disapprove every single non-member comment. >_<''
Posted by Mewtaila  on  Sat Nov 13, 2004  at  04:33 AM
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.