Ant Carries Crackers
Status: Photoshopped
image My strong hunch is that this picture has been photoshopped. It looks too well composed not to have been. Also, I don't see how the crackers could balance that evenly on the ant's back. I don't know where the picture comes from, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was either from Worth1000 or some kind of inspirational poster.
Update: It is a Worth1000 picture. (Big surprise there, 90% of hoax pictures seem to originate from there.) It's part of a "Mission Impossible" gallery and was created by Jaffar1900. (Thanks to Marcan Dy Arabian for finding it on Worth1000.)
Categories: AnimalsPhotos/Videos
Posted by The Curator on Thu Dec 22, 2005
"My strong hunch is that this picture has been photoshopped. It looks too well composed not to have been. Also, I don't see how the crackers could balance that evenly on the ant's back. I don't know where the picture comes from, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was either from Worth1000 or some kind of inspirational poster."

Ya think? Seriously, you need to get away from the west coast for reprogramming.

Cookies on ant means "use lemon on chicken."
Posted by Craig  on  Thu Dec 22, 2005  at  11:37 PM
Honestly, you're slipping.. I mean, it's not much of a *hoax*, is it? A bit of photoshopping, maybe a couple wild claims at best.

I'm gonna guess 'Inspirational Poster'.
Posted by Robin Bobcat  in  Californian Wierdo  on  Fri Dec 23, 2005  at  01:18 AM
Maybe, maybe it's a picture of crackers stacked on top of an ant. But it's not as if ants carry food that way.
Posted by Citizen Premier  in  spite of public outcry  on  Fri Dec 23, 2005  at  01:26 AM
Yes, ants don't carry food that way (they carry it in their mandibles), and I think that the centre of balance is too far off for them to even be stacked on the ant. Unless the ant is wearing some sort of a pack harness, and has her feet glued to the cloth. . .in which case you'd have a very unhappy and angry ant.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Fri Dec 23, 2005  at  02:14 AM
It's a Bush administration/Wal-Mart motivational poster: "If this little ant can endure this much physical exertion, so can you."
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Fri Dec 23, 2005  at  02:39 AM
Home-built PC: $350
Monthly Internet service: $9.99
1.5 liter bottle of Shiraz Cabernet: $7.95
Getting drunk off your ass and making a post that makes absolutely no sense and embarasses you to the point of faking your own death: Priceless
Posted by Craig  on  Fri Dec 23, 2005  at  10:11 AM
I don't think we'll have to call in the "Myth Busters" for this one.
Posted by Captain Al  in  Vancouver Island, Canada  on  Fri Dec 23, 2005  at  02:29 PM
This is clearly maufactured. Even setting aside the ridiculous way that the ant is supposed to be carrying the cookies, look at the flag/patriotic motif of the whole thing. Totally studio.
Posted by Gearyster  on  Fri Dec 23, 2005  at  06:02 PM
Yay crackers are good!
Posted by pura  on  Fri Dec 23, 2005  at  06:31 PM
I'd vote for promotional poster or something, reminds me of the song about the ant...

"Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant, can't
Move a rubber tree plant

But he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time your gettin' low
'stead of lettin' go
Just remember that ant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant"
Posted by thunder  in  England  on  Sat Dec 24, 2005  at  07:07 AM
Assuming the picture to not be a fake, how do we know the ant in the picture is alive? Maybe someone stuck some crackers on a dead ant and took the pic.
Posted by eriC draveS  in  Over here somewhere  on  Sat Dec 24, 2005  at  06:38 PM
This black ant is obviously from New Orleans. I do not think this is a fraud. If you'll look closely, you can see that the little fellow has gang tatoos burned on.
Posted by cindy_bin_2006  in  Illinois  on  Sat Dec 24, 2005  at  09:04 PM
http://www.worth1000.com/cache/gallery/contestcache.asp?contest_id=8417&display=photoshop -- the second entry
Posted by Gutza  on  Tue Dec 27, 2005  at  09:06 AM
Just saw the update -- was my comment posted after the update and I didn't notice that?
Posted by Gutza  on  Wed Dec 28, 2005  at  04:57 PM
Done originally by a poster named SCALVERT at http://www.dpchallenge.com. I believe the ant was frozen and the crackers were held up by a small rod later removed using advanced editing.
Posted by Allknowing  in  USA  on  Wed Jul 25, 2007  at  11:32 AM
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.