The Sandpaper Test, 1960
Pierre Brassau, Monkey Artist, 1964
Lord Gordon-Gordon, robber of the robber barons, 1871
Rachael Ray cooks her family and her dog
Fake Fish Photos
Paul Krassner's Stereophonic Hoax, 1960
The boy with the golden tooth, 1593
Can a bar of soap between your sheets ease muscle cramps?
Jennifer Love Hewitt's Disappearing Breasts
Fake Photos of Very Large Animals
American troops eat babies?
Among the many difficulties American troops are encountering in Iraq (I won't get all political here by listing them), one is a little bit more bizarre than others. It seems that some Iraqis believe that American soldiers carry poison-tipped bullets and eat babies. Kinda tough to win hearts and minds when you're dealing with people who think you dine on infants, I would imagine. I wondered if this story itself was a hoax until I followed the link I found and saw that it lead to Stars and Stripes, the newspaper of the U.S. Army. Again, I'm not being political here, I'm just saying that I think Stars and Stripes is a more credible source for something like this than, say, Ananova. Anyway, it's a weird one for sure.

American troops eat babies?
Categories: Conspiracy Theories, Hate Crimes/Terror, Mass Delusion, Military, Urban Legends
Posted by Cranky Media Guy on Tue Jul 10, 2007
A credulous and superstitious people is easy to fanaticize.
Posted by Sam  in  Delaware  on  Tue Jul 10, 2007  at  06:53 PM
Alex posted this June 21,2007 CMG...

but still very weird.
Posted by oppiejoe  in  Michigan - USA  on  Tue Jul 10, 2007  at  07:30 PM
... you mean American troops don't eat babies?
Posted by Dracul  on  Tue Jul 10, 2007  at  08:02 PM
A similar situation occurs when civilians die. The terrorists always claim that Americans did the killing and it gets widely reported as such but when the claim is shown to be false, there is rarely any retraction anywhere.

During WWII the fascist powers made heavy propaganda claims about black troops and the rape and destruction they would cause. I'm surprised something similar hasn't happened here given the paranoia the various muslim factions have about the purity of their women.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Wed Jul 11, 2007  at  01:01 AM
My personal favorite is that some Iraqis think that there are 'Terminiator' robots in among the troops.. THey've seen them take a high-caliber bullet to the chest, then get up cursing...

.. of course, if you're not familiar with body armor..
Posted by Robin Bobcat  in  Californian Wierdo  on  Wed Jul 11, 2007  at  03:09 AM
"Alex posted this June 21,2007 CMG..."

Oopsie!

Hmm, that makes me wonder why it's back in the news.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Jul 11, 2007  at  06:19 AM
So, since it's a re-run, should I kill this thread (apparently I have the God-like ability to do that) or do you guys want to kick this around some more?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Jul 11, 2007  at  06:22 AM
The site has officially jumped the shark. RIP

Hiya, Cranky...
Posted by booch  on  Wed Jul 11, 2007  at  07:59 PM
Fonzi in black leather on water skis, to be sure.
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Wed Jul 11, 2007  at  08:21 PM
"The site has officially jumped the shark. RIP"

In the immortal words of Steve Urkel, "Did I do that?"
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Jul 11, 2007  at  10:09 PM
"In the immortal words of Steve Urkel. . ."

Now, now. . .there's no need to be bringing dead people into the conversation. wink
Posted by Accipiter  on  Thu Jul 12, 2007  at  07:02 PM
Speaking of urban legends, eh, Accipiter?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Fri Jul 13, 2007  at  06:04 AM
I don't eat babies (I have used baby oil, though), but doesn't all this talk about this or that group eating babies leave you wondering ...
What do babies taste like?

Seriously, this rumor could be seen as just payback for the hoax the George H.W. Bush administration floated in 1990 to justify its first Iraq invasion (the "Gulf War"), when it claimed (falsely) that Iraqi troops had yanked Kuwaiti babies out of incubators and left them to die so they could steal the incubators.
Posted by Big "Jonathan Swift" Gary  in  Los Altos, CA (temporarily)  on  Wed Jul 18, 2007  at  09:09 PM
Big Gary, this sort of rumor is common enough so that it is doubtful that any specific person or group began it in response to something that happened almost twenty years ago. A threat to their children will get any parent willing to work with anyone to defend their children. And atrocity stories crop up in every war, usually early on, in an effort to demonize the enemy. Look at the propaganda from any war, and you can see it. Some of them have a basis in fact, almost any Nazi atrocity story for example, but most play against human fears of the unknown. The French occupation of the Ruhr with African troops for example spawned long-standing tales of rape. Germans of mixed parentage were sterilized because they were presumed to be the product of this rape even though almost all were the product of Germans in their African colonies.

And, by the way, babies taste like pork. Just as adult humans do.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Wed Jul 18, 2007  at  09:27 PM
Chistopher said:
"... babies taste like pork ..."

... And you know this how?
Posted by Big "Jonathan Swift" Gary  in  an undisclosed location  on  Wed Jul 18, 2007  at  09:35 PM
Anthropology studies many years ago. Various canabal societies, particularly in the SW Pacific area, refered to people as "Long Pig" due to the similarity in taste. I wouldn't know since my nose doesn't work right and my sense of taste is very bland.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Thu Jul 19, 2007  at  02:03 AM