Jean Gauntt, the Immortal Baby, 1939
Van Gogh's ear exhibited, 1935
The Gallery of Fake Viral Images
war of the worlds
The night Martians invaded New Jersey, 1938
The Hoaxing Hitchhiker, 1941
Ahmadinejad’s Wife
This photograph, which supposedly shows Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and his wife, has been circulating online for a few months. It's often linked to with teasing, tongue-in-cheek phrases such as "Ahmadinejad's wife is a hottie!" or "Ahmadinejad's wife is hotter than Palin!"

But is the image real? Is that really his wife? If so, why and when did Ahmadinejad pose for the photo? It hasn't been easy to find any answers to these questions.

One source claims the image came from the German magazine Bild, though I can't find any confirmation of this. Instead, I think the source might have been the Turkish newspaper Hürriyet, though I have no idea what the text accompanying the picture says, and Google doesn't offer Turkish to English translation.

The only other pictures of Ahmadinejad's wife that I could find were taken when she accompanied him on a state visit to Kuala Lumpur in 2006. They were posted on IranFocus.com:

IranFocus also provides this small piece of info about Iran's First Lady:
Iranians have hardly caught a glimpse of Mrs. Ahmadinejad, and her first and maiden names rigorously resisted exposure after an hour of determined Googling in Persian and English. In the President’s official biography and website, there is no reference to Mr. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad being married, let alone to his wife. One ultraconservative website reports in Persian that the President married a mechanical engineering student in Tehran’s University of Science and Technology in 1980, when he was 24 - you would have to guess her age - and that he has three children.

The woman in the top picture and the Kuala Lumpur pictures does seem to be the same, though it's interesting that she's showing more of her face in the Kuala Lumpur photos. So I'm going to say that the photo of Ahmadinejad and his wife is real. However, I still have no idea when the photo was taken or why.
Categories: Photos/Videos, Politics
Posted by The Curator on Tue Nov 11, 2008
Forget the wife; has anyone ever seen the man in the same photo with Ringo Starr? Ahmadinejad is the unholy offspring of Mr. Starkey and a Persian groupie, I'm sure of it.
Posted by ktownson  in  Pearl River, LA  on  Tue Nov 11, 2008  at  05:09 PM
Man, that's just a GREAT culture for women, isn't it? I mean, you have none of those concerns about makeup and what you're going to wear when you leave the house.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Tue Nov 11, 2008  at  09:20 PM
No disrespect intended, but those photos have an uncanny resemblances to several fake ghost photos I've seen.

Can anyone confirm that the "Lady in Black" was actually there?
Posted by Joel B1  in  Hobart, Tasmania  on  Tue Nov 11, 2008  at  10:13 PM
Showing his wife in a public photo like that is actually rather radical of him, all things considered. I'm a bit surprised at it.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Tue Nov 11, 2008  at  11:01 PM
Wait, I just realized, that's not his wife, that's the Masked Magician!
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Nov 12, 2008  at  05:00 AM
Personally, I am surprised to see that fine man putting up with such an immodest slut.
Posted by outeast  on  Wed Nov 12, 2008  at  05:13 AM
Truthfully, when I came to the U.S. I was hopeful I wouldn't see black 'blankets' moving about the landscape anymore. Lately I've started to see a few here in Maryland. It evoked then and does now an image of a bleak and hopeless world. The only females I saw in the past NOT covered like this were ones under the age of 8 years old.

On hot summer days I always wondered (still do) how they survived.

It's a very good way to hide lots of stuff though, including gender as well as movement or even intent. Aside from glasses exposed, there could really be any number of women (or men) posing as a single individual. Like Acci though, I'm surprised that much of the face is exposed.
Posted by hulitoons  in  Abingdon, Maryland  on  Wed Nov 12, 2008  at  09:55 AM
The picture looks kind of fake... There's too much "static" on the sides of their bodies. Looks Photoshopped.
Posted by Mr. Sunshine  in  SoCal  on  Wed Nov 12, 2008  at  09:36 PM
I agree with ktownson, he looks an awful lot like Ringo.
Posted by Madd Maxx  in  New Orleans  on  Wed Nov 12, 2008  at  11:25 PM
>>The picture looks kind of fake... There's too much "static" on the sides of their bodies.<<

This is usually a result of image compression, not being "photoshopped".
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Wed Nov 12, 2008  at  11:39 PM
From what I can see of her, I don't really blame him for making her wear a burka. FUGLY!!!
Posted by Craig  on  Thu Nov 13, 2008  at  11:39 PM
Hey Alex,

here is the URL for the article:

It's titled 'Mr. Ahmadinedschad shows his wife'.
The photo is taken at a conference in Teheran.

M.
Posted by Matthias  in  Germany  on  Mon Nov 17, 2008  at  04:01 AM
THE FACE OF EVIL AND HIS COVERED PARTNER,AS SIMPLE AS THAT.
Posted by PAYMAN JAHANBIN  in  usa  on  Mon Aug 02, 2010  at  10:05 AM
I'm sorry for myself.
I'm living in Iran and he and his wife are shamed us.
Ahmadinejad and his ideology and his leader khameneyi and their Islamic ideology is our Iranian shamed.
we are about 95% who lives in Iran hated them.
they are not our President and our Leader.
they are dictator and hurt Peoples.
after 2009 Presidnet Election in Iran they fight and kill peoples in Streets.
they are Islamic Terrorist.
i hate ahmadi nejad and khameneyi.
their Islamic ideology is Talibanist.
we hate their Islam.
Islam is not the one running in Iran which Hang and Kill Iranian peoples.
the world nation and people all over the world please help Iranian inside if Iran.
shame on Ahmadi nejad and his talibanism Islamic who make his wife in this form.
she seems a crow.
Posted by Reza  in  Iran  on  Sun Aug 29, 2010  at  06:46 PM
He has shamed Iranians and an old culture.
We all Iranian feel shamed by treatment he has.
Posted by Mli  in  Toronto  on  Thu Oct 14, 2010  at  12:35 PM
His wife's cover reveals that why they need nuclear electricity since a great part of that electricity is required to enlighten the way to target under that cover!! LOL
Posted by marijuanaman  in  toronto  on  Thu Oct 14, 2010  at  02:29 PM
it seems like this
but actually its different
in iran women use lots of make up
more than any other country
nobody can believe it
and it is bcause of limitation
they try to show their face
Posted by vahid  in  Iran  on  Thu Oct 14, 2010  at  03:48 PM