In the Wake of Grilled Cheese Mary
image Following the $28,000 sale of that Virgin Mary Grilled Cheese Sandwich, it seems like it's been loony season on eBay (if it was ever NOT loony season on eBay, that is). Among the more memorable Grilled Cheese Mary Wannabes have been the Jesus Fish Stick, the NutriGrain cereal that looks like ET, and the piece of popcorn that looks like the Virgin Mary holding Baby Jesus. Buck Wolf, in his weekly column on ABC News, points out some miracle foods from years past that have beguiled the public, including the Tennessee Nun Bun (a cinnamon bun that looks like Mother Teresa), the Miracle Tortilla of New Mexico (a tortilla that looks like Jesus), and the Holy Eggplant of India (an eggplant that spells out 'Allah' in urdu script).
eBayFoodReligion
Posted by The Curator on Wed Dec 01, 2004 Comments (12)
I dunno... the Jesus fish stick kinda looks more like a Jim Morrison fish stick to me....
Posted by Liz  in  Toronto  on  Thu Dec 02, 2004  at  10:26 AM
The Miracle Tortilla has been around since 1977. When I was much younger, I wrote a poem about it, which was later published in a magazine.
I understand the backyard shrine has had very few visitors in recent years, though, probably due to the fact that the tortilla is said to have faded or molded or otherwise decayed to the point where you can't really see a face on it anymore. They needed, but didn't get, a second miracle, to preserve the tortilla perpetually in an incorrupt state.

The Holy Eggplant reminds me of a species of marine aquarium fish commonly known as the "Koran angelfish," because it shows markings on the tail that resemble a line from the Koran written in Arabic script (I think the line is "God is great," which is something like "Alluah Akbah," except written in Arabic characters, of course).
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Thu Dec 02, 2004  at  05:34 PM
If you really believed a piece of cereal or a wad of dryer lint or whatever was a miracle and a message from God, as the would-be popcorn seller claims to believe, would you try to auction it off on E-Bay with a minimum bid of $250?
Won't God be pretty pissed about that when she finds out?
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Thu Dec 02, 2004  at  05:40 PM
"This image [a piece of popcorn] in NO WAY should be used as an idol, or as an icon to be worshipped."
Uh, OK, I'll try to restrain myself ...
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Thu Dec 02, 2004  at  05:44 PM
Great...now I'm hungry...
Posted by Gee...  on  Thu Dec 02, 2004  at  05:55 PM
Maybe they're all prodcuts of ISeeJesus.com
Posted by John  on  Thu Dec 02, 2004  at  06:49 PM
I have an idea. How about frying pan with etched or embeded picture of whoever you want on the bottom. Then everybody may have nice stake with picture of ... I don't know ...
Posted by Loxx  on  Thu Dec 02, 2004  at  06:52 PM
I am still thinking. It cannot be religious.. Relatives, I guess not, it is like send them to hell.
Frying pan and all images from that are associated with hell for me.
Actually, I guess, it was not a Virgin Mary but rather Lelith...
Posted by Loxx  on  Fri Dec 03, 2004  at  11:29 AM
Godness gracious me...people are the worst,or maybe quite amusing vampire ,why do they automatically assume it
Posted by Evey  in  Sweden  on  Fri Dec 03, 2004  at  03:52 PM
I'm sorry but I don't see how that could be mistaken for Mother Tersea. But then agian I need my glasses prescripton changed.
Posted by Dany  in  Texas  on  Sat Dec 04, 2004  at  01:50 PM
If you would mistake a cinnamon bun for Mother Teresa (or any other human), you probably need more than just new glasses.
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Sat Dec 04, 2004  at  07:23 PM
I don't think so. I'll leave my non-exseint religious beleifs under my bed.
Posted by Dany  in  Texas  on  Sat Dec 04, 2004  at  11:33 PM
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.