90-year-old Kung Fu Master Does Finger Stand
Status: Fake
image Check out this video of Monk Hai-Tank (wmv file). He's 90-years-old, but he still has "finger skill." Which means that he can stand upside-down supported by only one finger. The video obviously has to be fake. I assume they're supporting him with invisible wires. Special effects like this are pretty standard in kung-fu movies. (via Ceticismo Aberto)
Categories: Photos/VideosSports
Posted by The Curator on Thu Jan 19, 2006
Plus the fact that he's leaning against the wall doesn't make it very believable.

Oh and "This is a pride of China"? LOL
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Thu Jan 19, 2006  at  02:11 AM
I'd better clarify my last comment. I'm not laughing at the slightly dodgy interpretation of Chinese to English. I'm laughing at the fact that the makers of that video have called this "feat" as (in my interpretation) something/someone that the Chinese are proud of.
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Thu Jan 19, 2006  at  02:29 AM
The movie doesn't give any more information than the still photo. There's some video of him sitting, then a cut, then he's in the position shown in the still photo.
Posted by Joe  on  Thu Jan 19, 2006  at  02:48 AM
Hidden wires, my ass! That's clearly the result of putting his LifeWave patches on backwards.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu Jan 19, 2006  at  04:44 AM
Notice he doesn't move at all while in this position. It seems if all that strain was on your finger, wouldn't your tendon in your arm stick out a little our veins pop out? Maybe he is laying on his side and the video is turned.
Posted by dae dae  on  Thu Jan 19, 2006  at  02:08 PM
I hate to go against popular opinion, but it looks real to me. If you look at the closeup of his hand, he is moving a bit. As to his body not moving... if he were wiggling all over the place, then I'd be SURE it's fake.

The 80 year old father of my wife's Qi Gong teacher can sit on the floor in lotus postion, put his thumb and two fingers of each hand on the floor, and lift himself off the floor. No big trick, doesn't make it look like a big deal, just a six-finger pushup.

I just find it easier to believe that someone could learn to do this than that someone bothered to fake it.
Posted by Mark  on  Thu Jan 19, 2006  at  06:40 PM
Standing on his finger. Big deal. I could stand on his finger any time.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Dallas, Texas, USA  on  Thu Jan 19, 2006  at  07:10 PM
Is it just me, or does it look like he's holding something in his left hand. I could see it as technically do-able if he's holding a thin wire (conveniently "hidden" by the room corner.)
Posted by karen  in  Reno  on  Thu Jan 19, 2006  at  07:21 PM
Actually, yoga people can do some wild balancing stuff. People can, thru years of practice, delvelop odd specialized strengths. Like people who balance on sticks held in their teeth. It could be real.
Posted by chyca  on  Thu Jan 19, 2006  at  09:23 PM
I do believe that this can done, considering that it is scientifically acknowledged, that some buddhis monks simply decide to die, sit down and do so.
Posted by Sebastian  in  Munich, Germany  on  Fri Jan 20, 2006  at  05:35 AM
i agree with Mark..
i have that documentary,and i can olnly say that man
are reel to me,watch closer of his finger!!
there s no wire in his hand ,cuz that man is training this style almoust a 20 years...
this is a one finger zen style,and only man can to that in the china culture is that man monk hai-tank.
Posted by kron  in  croatia  on  Fri Jan 20, 2006  at  01:18 PM
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Fri Jan 20, 2006  at  02:43 PM
Posted by Ryan Zorro  in  Germany  on  Sat Jan 21, 2006  at  07:51 PM
Ryan Zorro said:

"This can be done, because famous movie-star/martial artist Bruce Lee performed a stadium show when he was alive, and one of his techniques was to do a push up without his feet touching the floor, and only balancing on both is index fingures, so I reckon this is possible as well"

I don't know if what you say is true, but even if Bruce Lee DID do this, that by no means proves that a 90-YEAR-OLD MAN could so something similar. For most 90-year-old people, getting out of the chair is a major feat.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Jan 22, 2006  at  02:17 AM
X said:

"I actually believe this......after seeing my Sifu put a nail into a piece of wood with the palm of his hand (Iron Palm) this looks believable....."

That isn't logical. First off, just because a particular unusual thing can be done, that isn't proof that a DIFFERENT unusual thing can be done.

Second, whenever I've seen the "Iron Fist" trick, the person performing it has had a very padded hand, wrapped in tape. They are also driving the nail into pine, which is a very soft wood. Not that big a trick, really.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Jan 22, 2006  at  02:37 AM
Posted by Lore  in  In the cozychair, Sweden  on  Sat Jan 28, 2006  at  09:19 AM
Lore said:

"This reminds me of that documentary about shaolin monks that I saw a while back. It featured some really weird stuff, like someone being able to throw a needle through a pane of windowglass and people balancing on two fingers. So yeah, I think that this is quite possible."

I once saw a movie where a giant lizard destroyed Tokyo so I guess anything is possible.

Are you absolutely sure that the things you saw in this "documentary" were legitimate? I haven't seen it so I can't say for sure but I DO know that not everything portrayed in a movie, even a "documentary" is necessarily accurate.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Jan 29, 2006  at  03:26 AM
Posted by one finger skill  on  Sat Feb 04, 2006  at  01:02 AM
in china the older u are, the stronger ur chi is. so the older u doesn't neccsary mean the weaker u get
Posted by fdf  on  Sat Feb 04, 2006  at  04:06 PM
one finger skill said:

"This is such a cynical bunch, and so trapped in western ideas of strength. If you want a real discussion of "one finger skill" and similar things, take a look at http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/search/topic/14454-1.html"

That's right. I forgot that anything that comes out of a Western culture is automatically "out of harmony with nature" and anything from an Eastern (or indiginous) culture is automatically ancient, IN harmony with nature and inherently superior.

I'm going to save up some money so I can take a trip to Tibet where I will no doubt see streets filled with 90-year-old men walking around on their fingertips. Ah, the powers of Chi.

You'll have to excuse me. I have to turn my computer off and move it. I just found out it's in the wrong corner of my room and its feng shui is making my aura bounce around and cause the bad weather we've been having here on the Oregon coast. Duh. I should have known. It's SO obvious.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Feb 05, 2006  at  04:43 AM
That trick is no more skillful than a clown riding a unicycle over a horizontal rope in mid-air blindfolded at a circus.

This is almost equally impressive as those two twin brothers who made guiness world book of records balancing one ontop of the other using two knives with their tongue, balancing at the tip of each knife.

i would be more impressed if I one day see a 190 year old Shaolin monk balancing on one finger without any support at all.

Yes, the power of Chi. The ignorance of the West will soon one day be matched by the wisdom of the East.

PaiMei
Posted by PaiMei  on  Thu Feb 09, 2006  at  06:12 PM
I have been practicing Yoga for many years. I have pictures of my 1 finger balance...also other cool yoga pictures on my myspace. Check it out

Posted by Pai Mei  in  Detroit, Michigan  on  Sat Mar 04, 2006  at  08:34 PM
We have a video of this monk at home. It is a National Geographic documentary done in the 80's, just before Shaolin started taking foreign students. He is supposed to be the only monk at the temple who can do that. It is called one-finger Zen. They do some incredible things with their body. I have tried to mess around with it a little. It is much, much harder than it looks. You should see his hands. His fingers have probably been broken dozens of times. A few of the other monks do two-finger Zen, balancing on the first finger of each hand.
Posted by Ashley  on  Tue Mar 07, 2006  at  07:33 PM
you are all so dense other than one guy that mentioned something about yoga.
its 100% its a skill called shaolin steel finger.
Posted by Wh1tk1d  in  england uk  on  Mon Mar 13, 2006  at  07:12 PM
Wh1tk1d said:

"you are all so dense other than one guy that mentioned something about yoga.
its 100% its a skill called shaolin steel finger.
Shoalin monks can manipulate chi and do next to imposible things, ican do it with three fingers and the guy that monk hai tank was master to can do it with two. its also not a movie its from a documentory featuring jet li."

It's a power SO amazing that it is only evident to people who don't understand spelling, punctuation or syntax.

Clearly, if it's in a "documentory," it CANNOT be fake.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Tue Mar 14, 2006  at  02:54 AM
As much as I respect and venerate chinese culture, shaolin and kung fu in general,having watched the whole documentary theres little doubt in my mind this is fake. The young monk who later attempts this fete uses two fingers (one of which is nearly bent 90 degrees by the time he's in position.
Some aspects of the film come across a bit like a communist china nationalist propoganda film (did the goverment have a hand in making this movie?) and no doubt this scene was staged to add a little mystique. An earlier scene depicts this same poor old guy supposedly taking full force blows by a younger monk with a 3 section staff who is clearly only soft tapping him.
The majority of the show was quite impressive, shame on the filmmakers for talking the monks into the less sincere parts.
Posted by Gary uk  on  Sun Apr 09, 2006  at  03:36 PM
It's fake. If it wasn't fake, then the video would show the monk getting into position. If it isn't fake, it wasn't shot in a manner that is very convincing. It reminds me of that missing reincarnated buddha who had been meditating for months, except when they hid him with screens at night so he could eat and drink and sleep.
Posted by pj  on  Wed Apr 19, 2006  at  12:09 AM
ever heard of masters of the iron crotch.. 1 can pull a truck with his penis.. 8 masters can pull a jumbo plane with it.. lol o wait they had wires tied on them hahahaha!
Posted by Mike  on  Sun Jun 18, 2006  at  04:14 AM
Just because most of the old-aged in America are unfit and cannot get out of bed, that does not mean that there aren't old people in this world who are fitter than you. What this old man is doing is entirely possible, whether or not the video is a fake. Open your eyes to the world outside of your TV guide. You'll find that the range of human ability, both intellectual and physical, extends far beyond what you are typically exposed to. Read and travel. And don't fall for the trap of being a skeptic who is addicted to the illusory high of feeling as if they escaped being duped through their own intelligent deduction when faced with something they consider new and possibly unusual, when in reality, they have closed themselves off a little more from their own capacity to learn.
Posted by omar  in  canada  on  Thu Jul 06, 2006  at  12:01 AM
Omar in Canada said:

"Just because most of the old-aged in America are unfit and cannot get out of bed, that does not mean that there aren't old people in this world who are fitter than you. What this old man is doing is entirely possible, whether or not the video is a fake."

Oh, you are SO right, Omar. Once I threw off my Western concepts of fitness and physics, I learned how to fly. Yes, thanks to my rigorous study of Eastern philosophy, I can now fly like a bird. You should see it some time, it's truly amazing. And all I had to do was discard my silly Western notions of what is possible. How I pity those of you who still think that some things are impossible.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu Jul 06, 2006  at  04:34 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.