What do the lines on Solo cups mean?
Dead Body of Loch Ness Monster Found, 1972
Sober Sue, the woman who never smiled, 1907
Bonsai Kittens, 2000
Baby Yoga, aka Swinging Your Kid Around Your Head
Boy floats away in balloon, 2009
Fake Photos of Very Large Animals
Brief History of Triple-Decker Buses
Samsung invents the on/off switch
The Gallery of Fake Viral Images
Is John Edward a fake?
image It seems like whenever I turn on the SciFi channel, there's John Edward talking to the dead. I don't really care if he actually can talk to the dead or not (I assume he can't). I'm more concerned by the fact that his show is boring. But on the start of his Australian tour, a man has sued him, claiming that Edward's show violates the Trade Practices Act which stipulates that suppliers of goods can't make claims that they can't substantiate. In this case, Edward claims he can talk to the dead, but the guy suing him is pretty sure he can't. It'll be interesting to see how the case is resolved.
Categories: Con Artists, Paranormal
Posted by The Curator on Sat Feb 21, 2004
It's about time!

Characters like Edward who exploit people's
grief to line their own pockets are
the lowest of the low, barely one step
above medical quacks and charlatons.
Posted by Hiawatha  in  Earth  on  Sun Feb 22, 2004  at  06:46 PM
This was all covered on the "South Park" episode titled "Biggest Douche in the Universe"...it was a contest...John Edward won.
Posted by Gee  in  Boise  on  Wed Feb 25, 2004  at  02:09 PM
Yes. Why is this even a question?
Posted by Bob S. Yunkle  on  Fri Feb 27, 2004  at  04:36 AM
I believe there are people out there who have this gift, but obviously Edwards is not one of them. In the show he starts off with the broadest facts I have ever heard. He will say something like, "I see a man who died. Maybe it was cancer? Maybe yellow fever? Maybe a mysterious disease." And mostly the people say yes... but every once in a while you get that one person that says, "I don't recall something like that."
Posted by Alex  in  GA  on  Thu Mar 04, 2004  at  08:36 PM
i fink johnny is a dung puncher mate
Posted by john smith  in  sydney australia  on  Fri Sep 24, 2004  at  02:47 AM
eBay auction number http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5554403074 adds a new twist to Edward's "Crossing Over".
Posted by Tool  on  Sat Jan 29, 2005  at  08:29 PM
The item has been removed. What was it?
Posted by Glamcat  on  Sat Jan 29, 2005  at  10:05 PM
Try clicking here for the auction, or just search for item 5554403074. The auction is still up.
Posted by Tool  on  Sun Jan 30, 2005  at  07:55 AM
Pure bullshit. The guy is a con artist.
Posted by Logic  on  Sat Feb 19, 2005  at  06:48 AM
The E-bay auction Tool posted. Too funny! Here's a quote,

"I had to flush my toilet like ten times before the deceased 'crossed over' to the other side."
Posted by JoeSixpack  on  Sat Feb 19, 2005  at  10:33 AM
> Trade Practices Act

could this be applied to churches? where they make all sorts of claims. like medical miracles for example.
Posted by max  in  philippines  on  Thu Apr 28, 2005  at  04:35 AM
Only in America.

jesus... fucking... christ...

when will spiritual/religous fanatics ever learn to be OBJECTIVE?

The fact that a guy has a successful career pretending to be a "medium" doesnt mean there is no God or afterlife. Most skeptics [why is it such a dirty word?] dont claim to KNOW for certain about the existance of the afterlife or otherwise. Most skeptics and agnostics leave possibilities open.. but John Edward is a blatent fraud.

The ignorance and niavity of a vast amount of Americans is very worrying for us in the rest of the world, as Im sure it is for the intelligent, educated and rational minority in the USA.
Posted by yoyo  on  Sun Oct 16, 2005  at  11:58 PM
hey yoyo I have a idea why dont you watch your filthy mouth?
Posted by The Queen  in  USA  on  Wed Jun 28, 2006  at  05:22 PM
Cold reading thats all it is watch
south parks "Biggest Douche IN THE UNIVERSE"
it explains it all

think of this if u think hes tellin the truth
do and ur dead mates and family float around
u.

do u want to do that when u die, wat would be the point u just float around and talk to people like jhon

that would such
Posted by Connor  in  i in england right now but i from OZ  on  Sun Oct 01, 2006  at  09:03 PM
As much as many people trash this guy... I have my own personal story. I'm an atheist and NEVER believe this type of thing, until i was able to obtain tickets. During the show he was unable to say anything about my family that "crossed over." But afterwards, talked to many people that were walking out. I was in the last row and before walking out he grabbed me and began talking to me about my grandmother. Was it general info he notified me about? actually no.... He stated how my grandmother always though it was funny that i had an interest for a career in forensic science, but was scared of blood. He also told me that before i left, i had found an orgami swan she made out of a crossword puzzle and placed it on my favorite 1968 gibson guitar.. because her crosswords were her favorite hobby, and my classic guitar playing was my favorite hobby. I'm sorry but do any of you find it general info that he knew she made an orgami swan out of a crossword puzzle and placed it on my classic guitar?
Posted by Dan  in  Florida  on  Sun Oct 29, 2006  at  09:38 PM
And how do we know you
Posted by Mark  in  Oz  on  Thu Nov 23, 2006  at  11:31 PM
haha talk about twisting words around!! First off...NO, i am NOT from the John Edwards camp. Second off, i OBTAINED tickets by ordering them over a year in advance, stop trying to change the word to fit ur own definition. and the info wasn't obtained from others i was with because i went with my only my mother and i never told her what i saw or did that morning involving my guitar, origami, or anything like that. And no, i dont live with my mom, so she didn't come into my room or something like that. I live 3 hours north of her.
Posted by Dan  in  Florida  on  Tue Nov 28, 2006  at  09:07 PM
haha if ur an athiest then why the fuck would u go to a spiritual show? why would u buy tickets one year in advance>?
Posted by John  in  Aus  on  Wed Jan 17, 2007  at  08:11 PM
If im an atheist why would i order them? Because no one knows the truth about anything, to be locked into my own egotistical idea that IM RIGHT AND EVERYONE IS WRONG...would be pretty fuckin christian of me. I try to hear all sides, all opinions, and all answers when it comes to religion. A jewish mother, a catholic father, and im their atheist son, lol. Only religious uptight assholes like to be close minded and listen to others who agree with them. I went to the show to hear another side to the unanswered questions of religion and afterlife.
Posted by Dan  on  Tue Jan 23, 2007  at  09:47 PM
A PERSON IS DEAD HOW CAN YOU COMUNACAKE WEN YOU DONT SEE THEM ENE MORE
THATS WHAT I WONT TO KNOW I THINK HE IS JUST TRYING TO MAKE PEOPLE BELIVE IN HIM
Posted by JAMIE  on  Thu Feb 15, 2007  at  05:40 PM
I'm not saying I think he is real. I think his stuff is a load of crap, but JAMIE if you're going to make an argument you've got to learn how to spell.
Posted by Matt  in  Texas  on  Thu Feb 15, 2007  at  10:12 PM
Yeah I was at the show and turns out that he actually CAN talk to the dead cause he told me that my father was dead and he needed to tell me that the pool had no "p" in it and that was my dad's favorite joke and seriously.
Posted by Josh  in  Tacoma  on  Sat Feb 17, 2007  at  12:51 AM
Ok guys, im sick of this guy getting credit for talking to the dead. I am a magician and have studied this stuff because its what i am interested in. This man John Edwards cant do anything that a mentalist magician cant(mind reading). He uses a technique called cold reading. It is basically a guessing name of letters then he talks about things that have a high percent success rate. e.g. "I am feeling a connection with the letter K" "someone over here"(then he looks at reactions and points to a part of the audience accordingly)
Then he will go "kell.. Ke... Ka.. its not very clear" and someone in the audience is bound to jump in and say "my names Kelly" or "My grandmother was Kate" or " my sister is Kim" etc.

Now he has found a subject, now its time to start describing the person who has passed. (everyone in the whole world..who is old enough to know.. knows someone that has passed away, man or female.. He will say to them "i am seeing an elderly figure", if the person in the croud hasnt already mentioned that the person they know who has passed name is "kate, kelly, Kim, Krystal etc" then he goes on and just says a "older male or female"... it doesnt matter which one. Now he mentions other vague letters in an attempt to score the name of the person who has passed.. e.g. "Are you connected to a B name at all... like a billy, blake, bob, i just see B jumping out at me"

He could get lucky and score the persons name, but if he doesnt its still ok.. think about it, is there anyone that you know whos name starts with B.. likey yes, not 100% but there is a high chance of this happening. Then he will say "yes I see because He keeps telling me that billy (we will assume that the person has said that yes, they know a billy and it is their brother)etc, then he makes stuff up about that.

everything edwards says depends on what the audience member has told him. and he plays with that information.e.g. the audience may say that, yes he dies when he was young.. then edwards will probably say something like "yes i a, getting a picture of a car, does this mean anything to you or the person who has died" because the person who died was young, he mentions car (a likely possibility of a car crash, also a strong possibility of the person having posters of card on their wall, or an interest in cars etc)

i hope you are understanding how this 'cold reading' stuff works.

please dont write back just to critise me, write back to state your opinion. Or ask me a question etc

I hope i have helped
Matthew
Posted by Matthew  on  Tue Feb 20, 2007  at  06:50 AM
Read this, and be happy: http://www.csicop.org/si/2001-11/i-files.html
Posted by Manuel  on  Wed Mar 28, 2007  at  01:52 AM
My husband and I had an hour long session with John Edwards. He came up with very, very specific memories and factoids that he could not possibly have researched even if he had a team of private detectives. One was of a very specific memory my husband had totally forgotten about, an inside joke only he and his late brother knew about. Each time my husband tried to guess at what John Edward was "hearing," John would matter of factly say "Nah, that's not it..." If he were cold reading, surely he would have gone along with whatever my husband came up with. He did not make one "mistake", made no eye contact when he was "listening", forgot personal information we told him, didn't seem to need to win our trust, and often steered us away from helpful guesses, saying, "No, that's not it...that's not what I'm hearing exactly." It's really easy to dismiss him with generalities when you haven't actually experienced an hour with him and heard the bizarrely specific stuff he comes up with that couldn't possibly be researched. I will say it's possible that in our case he "only" read our minds to an extreme degree but I've read his books and I think he actually does communicate with the dead because of other experiences he's had. Doubt him if that feels cozy and buttresses your own fear-based ideology, but don't be so quick to assume anyone who believes in his gift is stupid or naive. There are quantum physics theories that offer a glimpse into how he does what he does.
Posted by Molly  in  Wisconsin  on  Sun Aug 05, 2007  at  05:41 PM
What gives anyone the right to judge anyone else just because some people don't believe some people need to believe why do you have to pop peoples bubbles. I do believe in the afterlife I have for over 30 years. I may not believe in everything but I do believe that my father is always with me. Get off your high horse and complain about real topics. Poor wages, better living conditions, schools, health like breast cancer and aids help to find cures. There are a lot more things we can try to change all if we all pulled together. If people want to give him money it's called free will and no one can change that.
Posted by jen  in  palm bay fl  on  Wed Oct 17, 2007  at  05:05 PM
Whether he can really talk to the dead can not be proven either way.But what he is able to do is give this people a little peace of mind in regards to their loved ones nothing wrong with that.
Posted by Sandra  in  Hawaii  on  Sat Oct 20, 2007  at  04:45 PM
Thats not giving people a piece of mind that is just lying to them and that is wrong I hate people that lie more than anything don't lie be truthful thats the way to help people
Posted by jen  in  palm bay fl  on  Sat Oct 20, 2007  at  09:40 PM
I would say that is very ignorant Jen. Some truths are not, in any way, a help. Making people feel miserable, maybe the rest of their lives, what kind of help would that be? Please explain it to me.
If someone can take that feeling away from people, and make them live and be happy again, it doesn't matter to me if he/she is lying or not. It is still a help for those people.

As far as it concerns John Edward, I have no idea whether he is a fraud or not. I'm trying to look at different aspects of his abillities, and read what different people are saying. I have seen good arguments from both sides.
Having a friend that is a medium, I really want to believe that communication with "the other side" is possible.
I know for sure that my friend doesn't deliberately get signs or clues from the audience. He doesn't deliberately use the technique referred to as cold reading.

He belives in what he does.

I, on the other hand, am not really sure what to believe. I am very sceptic, but would be very pleased to see any kind "proof" that would convince me. I have seen a few, but still not convincing enough for me to unreservely take what I have seen to be for real.
Posted by Michael  in  Sweden  on  Sat Oct 27, 2007  at  04:52 PM
This is a fact : John cannot "perform" his stunning feats for EVERY person. Yet, EVERY PERSON knows someone who has died. So, he is a liar that is able to manipulate a few, that then in turn develope STOCKHOLM syndrome, and believe ANYTHING associated with their mind's captor if questioned by the NON-Believers. I feel sorry for you that are trapped.

You have to see that surely if he can speak with the dead, he would know more than rediculess mundain details associated with your trival little life! That he would actually possess great knowledge from these spirits, but instead thier busy just relaying stupid vague or intricate details about, hmmm the person being READ!?!, and thats all... how convenient... wtf you people have no clue how ancient this "song and dance" is.
Posted by TRUTH  on  Sat Nov 03, 2007  at  09:26 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›