The Nazi Air Marker Hoax, 1942
The Lovely Feejee Mermaid, 1842
Swiss peasants harvest spaghetti from trees, 1957
Burger King's Left-Handed Whopper Hoax, 1998
Female thieves hide money in their bras, 1950
The Diaphote, a television hoax, 1880
Museum of Hoaxes Christmas Tree
We set up the Christmas tree in the house a few days ago, and in a flash of inspiration I figured, why not have some hoax-themed ornaments. So I created a few. All that was required was printing the pictures on card paper and cutting them out. I created a whole bunch. (I was procrastinating.) Pictured below (clockwise from top left) are the jackalope, fur-bearing trout, Bigfoot, Cottingley fairy, Nessie, and Touristguy. Nessie and Bigfoot kept fighting, so I had to move them apart. Now Bigfoot keeps wandering around and hiding behind the tree. I can tell already that he's a troublemaker.

The one flaw with the tree is that it's real. Next year I'll need to get a fake tree just for the hoax ornaments.

image image image
image image image
Categories: Folklore/Tall Tales
Posted by The Curator on Fri Dec 08, 2006
Great idea Alex.I am thinking of doing this.Possibly with modelling clay.We have a real,albeit small tree,that has been growing for years.Oh,I also have a pet snouter,tasmanian mock walrus.
Posted by J  in  Well anywhere  on  Sat Dec 09, 2006  at  03:16 AM
"Pictured below"? Am I the only one that doesn't see a picture. (At least up until it gets updated, if Alex just forgot to stick the picture in the post. wink)
Posted by Tah  in  Idaho (Yes, Idaho)  on  Sat Dec 09, 2006  at  03:19 AM
Tah,There is a picture.Maybe your computer doesnt run it?
Posted by J  on  Sat Dec 09, 2006  at  03:23 AM
Here's your fake tree for next year, Alex:

Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sat Dec 09, 2006  at  03:56 AM
Ooh, very nice Alex! It's a very pretty tree all round, and your new ornaments make a nice touch.
And why does it not surprise me that you were procrastinating? wink
Posted by Nettie  in  Perth, Western Australia  on  Sat Dec 09, 2006  at  06:11 AM
Clever, Alex, and a nice job with the ornaments! Your bigfoot does look a bit troublesome, and your Cottingly Fairy looks scrumptuous. Maybe he'll try to ambush her from behind a branch? And, is 'Touristguy' someone familiar? Cool tree & good idea for next year, too. CMG-Thanks for the link. That's the perfect thing for my nephew's little 2-rm apartment. Early Happy Christmas to all!
Posted by stork  in  the spiracles of space  on  Sat Dec 09, 2006  at  02:57 PM
For whatever reason I can't see the picture of the tree. :( No problems with any other pictures on the page, though. Strange.
Posted by Tah  in  Idaho (Yes, Idaho)  on  Sat Dec 09, 2006  at  03:52 PM
Tah, can you see anything indicating that the pictures loaded incorrectly? I can't imagine why they wouldn't have loaded for you. Try reloading the page in your browser.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Sat Dec 09, 2006  at  04:39 PM
Heck, even I can see the pictures, and when that's the case you know that they should be visible to just about anybody on any sort of computer, or even on a 1920's manual typewriter.

They look great, Alex. But shouldn't you have one of yourself there, too, since you're really a replicant Alex?
Posted by Accipiter  on  Sat Dec 09, 2006  at  06:03 PM
Nada. Tried everything. Nothing showing a picture even exists in the post. Anyone want to post the direct link to the picture? I can try that way. Or maybe post it in the forum as an attachment to a post?

Err...

Wait. Is the Hoax Christmas Tree a hoax? wink
Posted by Tah  in  Idaho (Yes, Idaho)  on  Sun Dec 10, 2006  at  12:54 AM
Yo, CMG! Nice tree. Gotta say, you almost had me ordering one (I have three cats to deal with when it comes to a Christmas tree...).
Posted by Christopher  in  Joplin, Missouri  on  Sun Dec 10, 2006  at  07:57 AM
And from work I can see the pictures fine. Go figure. Must be something to do with my firewall/security at home. (Though all the other pictures on the site I seem to see fine. *Shrug*)
Posted by Tah  in  Idaho (Yes, Idaho)  on  Mon Dec 11, 2006  at  08:21 PM
My Mom anticipated that "Christmas
Tree Poster" by about 30 years. When she realized we were allergic to Christmas trees, she sewed a big wall-hanging of a Christmas trees and hung her ornaments on it.
She still uses it every year.
Posted by Big Gary  in  Leon, Texas  on  Mon Dec 11, 2006  at  10:29 PM
Dear Mr. Boese:
I represent the Cottingley Fairies estate, and we own exclusive rights to all Christmas-tree-ornament uses of the Fairies' images.
Please cease and desist immediately from your unlicensed holiday cheer.

Merry Christmas.
Posted by Shylock T. Pettifogger  in  Temple Inn, England  on  Mon Dec 11, 2006  at  10:34 PM
I must say, I do like those ornaments. They look really good for being so simple to make. And it seems just fitting for you. Also, it's nice being able to recognise them all easily, having read your website for so long. Overall, nice job.
Posted by Archibold  on  Tue Dec 12, 2006  at  09:17 PM