Fake Fish Photos
Eccentric's last prank, 66 years after his death, 1900
BMW's April Fool's Day Hoaxes
Actress who claimed she was kidnapped by puritans, 1950
Swiss peasants harvest spaghetti from trees, 1957
'Solar Armor' freezes man in Nevada Desert, 1874
The Nazi Air Marker Hoax, 1942
What do the lines on Solo cups mean?
The most sacred relic: the Holy Foreskin, circa 800 AD
Vilcabamba, the town of very old people, 1978
Human-Flavored Tofu
image The Dartmouth Online reports on a new business launching soon. It's Hufu, which stands for Human Tofu. This is a "type of tofu that simulates the texture and flavor of human flesh." Hufu (and, by extension, human flesh) apparently "tastes like beef but a little softer in texture and a little sweeter in taste." The article states that the company will:

initially only offer Hufu Classic Strips, which, according to Nuckols [the founder of the company], "will basically resemble the choicer flesh, which is upper arms, thighs and buttocks." Nuckols, however, assures customers that plans have been made to develop Hufu Hearts and Dr. Lector's Liver.

I'm not sure if this is a hoax in the spirit of Manbeef.com, or whether the guy is really planning to sell Hufu. He could basically sell regular tofu and call it human-flavored. Who would know the difference? He does admit that "a larger market will be for the clothing items." (thanks to Iain Cupples for the link)
Categories: Food
Posted by The Curator on Mon May 16, 2005
All I can say is "Eeeewwwww"!!!!
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Mon May 16, 2005  at  01:47 AM
Manbeef was a brilliant hoax. When I was working on a radio morning show in Boise, we interviewed the manbeef.com guy on the air. He even used a voice changer because, he said, he didn't want people to know what line of work he was in (reminiscent of when my friend Alan Abel was Omar, the guy who "ran" a school for panhandlers and he wore a hood over his head).

Manbeef.com was a great site!
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Mon May 16, 2005  at  02:25 AM
I actually heard something about this several years ago. I can't remember anything about it, though.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Mon May 16, 2005  at  05:17 AM
I thought that tofu took on the flavor of whatever you cooked it with. Or, that's been my experience with it anyway.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Mon May 16, 2005  at  11:29 AM
You ate man beef?
Posted by booch  on  Mon May 16, 2005  at  01:17 PM
What gets to me is that it wouldn't even taste like human flesh. Anyone who has done the research will know that human flesh tastes like pork, not beef. I would hope for more fact-checking in my hoaxes.

(There are plenty of medical reasons why the animal we most taste like is pig, but there are also lots of historical resources to affirm this. See "Did Mohawks wear Mohawks" as a good reference.)
Posted by Vryce  on  Mon May 16, 2005  at  04:38 PM
Oh, Hufu is for real. It is a real food product, and when you see our website you will find a lot, a lot of very worthwhile and engaging content. We are working on the last few web issues, we hope to go live tonight or tomorrow AM.
Posted by Mark Nuckols  on  Tue May 17, 2005  at  04:19 PM
i thought humans taste like chicken? thats what i heard cannibals say.
Posted by celeste  on  Thu May 19, 2005  at  02:21 AM
It is real. I have tried it. Buy it when it comes out.
Posted by Thaddeus Olchowski  in  Dartmouth College  on  Thu May 19, 2005  at  09:17 PM
i ate that hufu and it tasted like delicious chicken liverworst
Posted by Juggroopdeep  in  West Virginia  on  Fri May 20, 2005  at  01:56 PM
Believe me, HUFU is not a hoax. We have put a lot of time and work into developing the food product as well as the website, which ought to be obvious if you visit http://www.eathufu.com
Posted by Mark Nuckols  on  Wed May 25, 2005  at  07:51 PM
whether or not it is a hoax it seems rather interesting to be able to buy something labeled as human taisting tofu
Posted by nicole  on  Thu Oct 13, 2005  at  04:36 AM
Nice, Now maybe I won't get arrested when I taste the sweet taste of raw flesh!
Posted by Josh Hunt  on  Mon Dec 05, 2005  at  03:37 PM
I heard it tastes funny.... wait... that's a clown joke.
Posted by Mr. Stinkhead  in  DC  on  Wed Mar 01, 2006  at  02:14 PM
Having grown up in Papua New Guinea in the early '70s I can say with with a fair amount of conviction that human flesh reportedly tastes like pork.

Human flesh is known as "Long Pig" in PNG.
Posted by Joel B1  in  Hobart, Tasmania  on  Sat Mar 14, 2009  at  03:51 AM