The Diaphote, a television hoax, 1880
Man flies by own lung power, 1934
Adolf Hitler Baby Photo Hoax, 1933
The Cottingley Fairies, 1917
war of the worlds
The night Martians invaded New Jersey, 1938
Rachael Ray cooks her family and her dog
Fake Photos of Very Large Animals
Sober Sue, the woman who never smiled, 1907
Mule elected G.O.P. committeeman, 1938
What do the lines on Solo cups mean?
Save Toby
image If we all don't cough up $50,000 by June 30 then Toby, who happens to be 'the cutest little bunny on the planet', is going to die. His owner will kill him and eat him. Does this all sound familiar? Why, yes! It's a shameless rip-off of Save Bernd. Just as European movies are remade by Hollywood for American audiences, it now seems that European hoaxes are being remade for American audiences as well. However, the American version of the rabbit-killing hoax feels compelled to put a little notice at the bottom of the page telling us that it's all a joke. If you can't get savetoby.com to load, try the google cache version of it. The guy's site seems to be having bandwidth issues. (Thanks to Lawrence for the link)
Categories: Animals, Food
Posted by The Curator on Wed Feb 09, 2005
One of my pet (sniggle!) hates it the new tendency to put disclaimers or whatever on hoax/joke websites. Totally undermines their value... angry
Posted by paul in prague  on  Wed Feb 09, 2005  at  05:17 AM
Rabbit is tasty.
Posted by cvirtue  on  Wed Feb 09, 2005  at  07:39 AM
bon apetite..
Posted by Darren  on  Wed Feb 09, 2005  at  08:21 AM
Yeah, I never understood the logic of putting disclaimers on hoax websites either. If you're going to do a hoax, just do it. Don't do it and admit to doing it in the same breath.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Wed Feb 09, 2005  at  10:10 AM
It seems to be a take off the classic National Lampoon magazine cover from the mid-70s, which featured a mutt on the cover with a gun held to his head, and the blurb: Buy this magazine or we'll shoot this dog. A lot of people failed to see the humor and complained loudly. The result was that the issue became an instant collector's item, and was sold out in back issues stock. Back in the day, eh.
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Wed Feb 09, 2005  at  11:32 AM
Then would this be the hare of the dog?
Posted by Chadds Ford Prefect  on  Wed Feb 09, 2005  at  01:41 PM
"However, the American version of the rabbit-killing hoax feels compelled to put a little notice at the bottom of the page telling us that it's all a joke."

The European Save Bernd site also says that it's a joke at the bottom of the page.
Posted by Atomo  on  Wed Feb 09, 2005  at  04:28 PM
I think that notice on the Save Bernd site is new. The page has definitely changed since I last visited (which was last year).
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Wed Feb 09, 2005  at  04:32 PM
I'm guessing that the outcry over the Bonsai Kitten has something to do with the disclaimers; a lot of fragile, soul-less people were genuinely upset by that, probably the same kind of people who value the lives of animals more than they do human beings, and will therefore turn more readily to cannibalism when civilisation finally collapses. Mark my words. If you're sitting next to one of these people on a long, trans-Andean flight, and the plane starts to lose height, just jump; a quick death would be better than having your legs gnawed off by the Bonsai Kitten haters.
Posted by Ashley Pomeroy  in  Behind you  on  Wed Feb 09, 2005  at  04:52 PM
Ashley, I'm definitely agreeing with you. Here's a funny story like that that happened to me last week:

In my ethics class, we start off every class with a story about an ethical dilemma, and then we go around and each give our opinion. The other day, the story had come out of a movie (I don't know which one), but it was the story of a man who kidnapped a girl and buried her in the ground with only enough air to live a few more hours, unless he got ransom money. A police officer caught up with the kidnapper and knowing there wasn't enough time to go through procedures, he illegally tortured the man in order to find out where the girl was buried and attempt to save her.

Anyways, we then went around the class and each gave our opinion on whether the police officer was morally right in his actions. One of the girls said she believed he was morally wrong because he was breaking the law, but she then added that it would have been different if it were an animal about to be killed rather than a person. When asked what she meant, she said that an animal's life (she mentioned a dog as an example), was worth more than the human girl's because animals are, by their nature, entirely innocent. I'm not for harming animals or anything, but if it comes between the life of a human or an animal, it would seem to me that the human
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Wed Feb 09, 2005  at  09:15 PM
hmm...you know, thinking about it, I bet he has to put the disclaimer at the bottom in order to avoid legal issues. I mean, if people really believe he will kill the bunny and send him money in order to avoid it, they can claim they have been scammed and therefore sue him. A hoax site like the bonsai kittens do not have to worry about legal issues because they aren't collecting money.
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Wed Feb 09, 2005  at  09:19 PM
Did someone try sending him the money? i wonder if it would actually get sent to him....
I think the comment made by Ashley is a bit too extreme. I would be what you call a 'bonsai kitten hater', but I don't believe animal's lives are more important then humans, or the other way around. I would think they are both equal, as they both possess a life with a beating heart and a will to live. So by assuming animal lovers are human haters is extreme and wrong, that's like saying homosexual people hate woman. 'If they aren't that way, they must be the other way.'
Now about the rabbit thing, I don't think it's real. But even if it was, I don't have anything against me. I mean the cows and piglets we eat, they are as cute and innocent. Just because we don't witness them being killed , doesn't mean it's not happening. Where do you think the meat patty came from in your hamburger? It's a food chain, we have to get use to it. And of course, we must appreciate the animal's lives that are sacraficed in order for us to continue living, and must not cause un necessary harm to them.
That's my two cents .
Posted by Mika  on  Thu Feb 10, 2005  at  12:37 AM
I would recommend the Lapin Braise. I have had it in France (at a Route 66 Harley restaurante, no less), and it is damned good. So, don't give this guy any money AND LET HIM IT THE RABBIT!
Posted by BugbearSloth  in  earth, 3rd planet, sol system  on  Thu Feb 10, 2005  at  02:05 AM
um... LET HIM EAT THE RABBIT!!! DAMMIT!
Posted by BugbearSloth  in  earth, 3rd planet, sol system  on  Thu Feb 10, 2005  at  02:12 AM
well i hafta say, that dog was probably more innocent than the girl... i have a friend who seems to value animals over humans and i cant say i blame her, but shes a very extreme vegeatrian and would never eat meat (trapped starving on an island, with a chicken, i think its ok to eatthe chicken whoever you are)

and im not a hippy vegetarian, i eat meat, i think bonsai kittens are funny, and i recently cut the leg off a cat to watch it hobble around the room and make me lauggggghhh
Posted by joeodd  on  Thu Feb 10, 2005  at  07:32 AM
Yes joeodd and i recently adopted a 1 year old from an orphanage, then i proceeded to rip off his arms and legs with my bare hands. (took a little while with the kid squirming and everything) It was bloody hilarious, except the freak'in kid won't stop screaming in my ears. I wonder why, i mean i paid a lot of money for him so he should make it worth my while.
Then i put him in a cardboard box and buried him in my backyard, in fact I think i still hear him crying right now.
I find that funny, i certainly hope you do too. ^^
Posted by Ren  on  Thu Feb 10, 2005  at  06:51 PM
I think it's offensive to categorize animal lovers like that. Some people may not love animals as much as others, but don't try to make it something ugly. I feel that animals are just as important as humans, and I would say that it's ethical to torture the man in either the case of a dog or a human.
Posted by Rita  on  Thu Feb 10, 2005  at  07:55 PM
"I mean, if people really believe he will kill the bunny and send him money in order to avoid it, they can claim they have been scammed and therefore sue him."

What could they sue him for? They voluntarily sent him money not to kill a rabbit, he didn't kill the rabbit; he's as good as his word. They would only have a cause if he took the money and then ate Toby anyway.
Notice that taking the $50,000 only obligates him to spare this one individual rabbit. He could celebrate his newfound wealth by inviting all his friends to a rabbit stew banquet. As long as the ingredients are rabbits other than Toby, he's not breaking his promise.
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Thu Feb 10, 2005  at  08:10 PM
"I find that funny, i certainly hope you do too. ^^"

kk, each to their own
Posted by joeodd  on  Fri Feb 11, 2005  at  07:37 AM
I think the movie Razela was talking about is Clint Eastwood's "Dirty Harry". It kind of makes you wonder each of us would do in the same situation. Dirty Harry decides on torture in that movie but takes the opposite stance in "Magnum Force" when he fights the vigilantes.
Posted by Captain Al  in  Vancouver Island, Canada  on  Fri Feb 11, 2005  at  11:52 AM
Yes, Toby is really cute. Although, since I've been allergic to beef and pork for several years I've developed a fondness for wild game. I think I might have to copy down some of his recipies.

BTW, according to the website, this guy has already raised over $13,000. Wish it'd been my idea!
Posted by Tru  in  Other Words  on  Fri Feb 11, 2005  at  05:25 PM
Do any of the rest of you remember seeing the Bugs Bunny cartoon, I think from the 30's, that seems to be making fun of Bismarck by dreesing him up as a king, and he's constantly shouting "I WANT MY HASENPFEFFER!!!"? All the kitchen & wait staff keep running around trying to catch & kill Bugs - with predictable results. Toby, maybe you need to learn a few of his tricks; real soon. Nah!
Posted by stork  in  the spiracles of space  on  Fri Feb 11, 2005  at  09:16 PM
yep, that's the movie captain al! I've never actually seen it though.
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Fri Feb 11, 2005  at  10:17 PM
Sorry, I meant Pres. Hindenburg, not Bismarck. I think it might have been in retrospect, though, as Hitler was probably already in power. There are a couple pretty funny propaganda-type Bugs Bunny cartoons after that, tho, with Hitler, Mussolini, and Tojo all characatured as world-dominating wannabees getting screwed up by a clever rabbit. Toby, learn Bugs - learn him, now.
Posted by stork  in  the spiracles of space  on  Fri Feb 11, 2005  at  11:31 PM
what are you people getting so worked up about? awww killing bunnys, why dont you go tell the mayor! so, my family kills bunny's. whats the big deal? you eat chicken dont you? and cow? they can be pets too. and yes, i want to be a vet, i love animals. but, people, get over your selves. and the person, in wich i know, was just trying to see how stupid people really were.
Posted by Zena  in  LA  on  Sat Feb 12, 2005  at  06:06 PM
lol. you people make me laugh so hard. and the person that did this, that i know, is a master mind, what a quik way to get money?!!!
Posted by Zena  in  LA  on  Sat Feb 12, 2005  at  06:10 PM
i went to some other toby websites, and they are just like you people, getting all worked up over nothing. i will admit though....that i did get worked up over the bonsai kitten thing, i have a soft spot for cats. and i have two of the coolest and cutest cats in the world, so yes, i was very sad. but i do like bunny's. but what have they done for us? and PETA isnt going to help. PETA is an evil orginization, who should be stopped, i hate those "animal wrights activits" those people are the stupiest people that i have ever met. so sorry if i have pissed some people off, but i had to get my words out there. i feel very stongly about hunting and killing animals. it is something that i rarely see girls doing, and they should be doing it. it is not only a guys sport. no, i dont like seeing animals dead, that is just mean, but i do like eating them!!!!!!
Posted by Zena  in  LA  on  Sat Feb 12, 2005  at  09:00 PM
Who gives a flying crap?

If he really found the bunny and nursed it back to health, he will give it a happier death than it would have found.

If he eats it, who cares? The average person eats animals all the time. If he wants to eat his pet, it's his call. PETA has nothing to do with it. There's no cruelty involved.

Stupid people "should" have their money taken from them. Survival of the fittest. Maybe if they are broke, they won't have enough money to breed more stupid people. And, btw, "stupid" people are different from "innocent" people. A person is not "innocent" just because their naive, stupid or irresponsible with their money.
Posted by AwShuttheHellUp  on  Mon Feb 14, 2005  at  05:33 PM
I always thought "Save Larry" was the funniest.

(Eddie Murphy, SNL, Lobster)

Damn Larry was saved. *burp* maybe not
Posted by jack  on  Mon Feb 14, 2005  at  07:11 PM
It looks like the site owner must have decided the joke notice took away from the value of the page, the notice has been removed from the site.

Just out of curiosity did anyone try clicking the donate button. I did just for the heck of it and got a paypal error page "This recipient is currently unable to receive money." Gee how am I supposed to help save Toby! LOL
Posted by Myst  on  Thu Feb 17, 2005  at  03:16 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >