$150 McDonald Sandwich
Status: Real (kind of)
You've probably heard of the $250 Neiman Marcus Cookie. Now comes word of a $150 McDonald Sandwich. Yes, it's real, but it's not a sandwich from the fast-food McDonalds. It's being sold at Selfridges, a UK department store, and it's named after Scott McDonald, the executive chef at the store. Obviously the name is a little tongue-in-cheek. The sandwich is supposedly worth $150 "because of the Wagyu beef that makes up most of the filling... the 595-gram sandwich comprises 24-hour fermented sour dough bread, spread with a foie gras-flavoured mayonnaise. It also contains Brie de Meaux, considered one of Europe's finest cheeses, English cherry tomatoes and rocket, plus roasted peppers." The BBC has a picture of it.
Food
Posted by The Curator on Wed Apr 12, 2006 Comments (19)
Kinda pathetic... when you think about it. People like me who cant even afford the normal McDonalds food after the bills are all paid... and yet people have $150 to throw away on stuff like that.

And Foi gras? Yuck.. I'd rather not eat it thanks.... organs are not food (especially not when you work medical field)
Posted by Emidawg  on  Wed Apr 12, 2006  at  04:51 AM
Ain't never been a whole meal, much less a sandwich, worth $150. I cringe at the thought of eating out, and what the 'rape' charges will be...
Posted by Christopher in Joplin, Missouri  in  Joplin, Mo  on  Wed Apr 12, 2006  at  07:27 AM
The gratuity alone is $22!
Posted by Brad  in  New Jersey  on  Wed Apr 12, 2006  at  09:12 AM
Ew. That sounds like a stomach ache waiting to happen.
Posted by Sakano  in  Ohio  on  Wed Apr 12, 2006  at  09:58 AM
...I think it looks sort of good. I dunno what foi gras is though.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Wed Apr 12, 2006  at  11:42 AM
Foie gras is a duck/goose liver. It literally translates to "fatty liver."
Posted by Sakano  in  Ohio  on  Wed Apr 12, 2006  at  11:53 AM
the article on yahoo says, "The ironically named "MacDonald Sandwich" will set you back $148. This 21-ounce delicacy contains black truffle mayonnaise..."

Hmmm...

sounds a tiny bit yummier, but still....$148? No Flippin' Way!
Posted by thephrog  in  CA USA  on  Wed Apr 12, 2006  at  12:56 PM
The thing is it's international. top quality japanese beef (yes it's very expensive), french cheese and english veggy and what else to deserve this price?
Posted by katy kurione  in  France  on  Wed Apr 12, 2006  at  02:04 PM
Most of the price probably comes from the fact that it's being sold in selfridges.

They aren't known for their competitiveness.
Posted by Sharruma  in  capable of finishing a coherent  on  Wed Apr 12, 2006  at  03:49 PM
I was living in London in 2001 when I read the (apparently true) news article about a $425 (can't remember the GBP equivalent) jam sandwich. Part of the price covered picking out the jam seeds with a goose quill, and all the ingredients are supposed to be waay special ... but it's just a jam sandwich. Google picked up a reference to it here -
Posted by Wendy  in  Wellington NZ  on  Wed Apr 12, 2006  at  05:36 PM
It's sort of pathetic that businesses can get free publicity (in this case free worldwide publicity, I guess) just by coming up with something like this.

Anybody can offer a sandwich for $150, or $150,000 for that matter. Now if somebody SELLS a sandwich for that price, THAT would be news.

Which reminds me, I've got a peanut butter and honey sandwich you can have for $758,236.14. The peanuts were each individually picked by rock stars, the honey was made by African killer bees collecting nectar only from rare orchids, and the bread is made from special wheat grown in Falkland Islands minefields, hand-ground by Renee Zellweger between sets on her latest film shoot, and raised with yeast retrieved from Tutankahmen's tomb. All wrapped in 22 carat gold foil. Any takers?
Posted by Big Gary in Glen Rose, Texas  in  Dallas, Texas, USA  on  Wed Apr 12, 2006  at  06:40 PM
Speaking as a student at a culinary school (2 year chef program), I can tell you having not heard the voiceover explaining it, I caught a short video clip of the chef making one on the news and my main thought was "What a disgusting and unappetizing sandwich..."
Posted by Mel  on  Wed Apr 12, 2006  at  07:22 PM
According to report, they have sold a few. But Big Gary is right about one thing - it's a marketing gimmick.

Still'n'all, as far as advertising gimmicks goes I'd rather see a company selling a sandwich for 150 smackers than buying one for 16,000...
Posted by outeast  on  Thu Apr 13, 2006  at  03:52 AM
Oh, and who can forget Raymond Blanc's 635-quid 'Florette Sea And Earth Salad'?
Posted by outeast  on  Thu Apr 13, 2006  at  03:55 AM
Arby's Market Fresh sandwiches ar excellent, come with fries and a drink, and only cost about $6 for the whole meal... and the photo of one of theirs looks fresher and more appealing than this "fatty liver" piece of crap...
Posted by Christopher in Joplin, Missouri  in  Joplin, Mo  on  Thu Apr 13, 2006  at  07:06 AM
Even with the Virgin Mary's picture on it, $150 is still too much to pay for a sandwich.
Posted by Big Gary in Glen Rose, Texas  in  Dallas, Texas, USA  on  Thu Apr 13, 2006  at  01:56 PM
That sandwich is so thick anyways.How are you expected to eat it if you dont have a mouth that big
Posted by Metafire  on  Sun Apr 23, 2006  at  12:48 AM
I personally went to england and when I was there I purchased this sandwich. I have to say not really worth $124.23, but it was REALLY good! Im not fond of foi gras but oh well. If your ever there I would say split it with a friend and enjoy!
Posted by Travis  in  Dana Point, CA  on  Tue Jan 22, 2008  at  03:51 AM
I want to know if I can buy a mcdonald sandwich in the U.S. or just in europe. The mcdonald sandwich is a $150,2000 calorie sandwich. Included is sourdough bread,wagyu beef, brie de meaux,rocket salad,roasted peppers, cherry tomatoes,
mayonnaise made from fois gras and black truffle.
Posted by karaciger yaglanmasi  on  Sat Apr 03, 2010  at  01:58 PM
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.