Swiss peasants harvest spaghetti from trees, 1957
war of the worlds
The night Martians invaded New Jersey, 1938
Snowball the Monster Cat, 2000
Paul Krassner's Stereophonic Hoax, 1960
Dead Body of Loch Ness Monster Found, 1972
Vilcabamba, the town of very old people, 1978
Do Bakery Products Contain Human Hair?
An old article on Albalagh.net (it was new to me) describes how numerous bakery products contain an ingredient made out of human hair, and are therefore not allowed to be eaten by Muslims. The offending ingredient is the amino acid L-Cysteine, which can be made out of feathers, hooves... or yes, human hair. Back in January I linked to a story about soy sauce in China being made from human hair, so when I heard about bagels, croissants, pizza dough, etc. also containing human hair, I immediately suspected that this human-hair-in-food thing may be a bit of an urban legend. But as far as I can tell, there is some truth to it. The Shenzhen government has stated that it's looking into the soy sauce/human hair allegations. And L-cysteine can be made from human hair, as this Australian food additives guide notes. But I can't imagine human hair would provide the cheapest source of L-cysteine for commercial producers of it. Where would they be getting the hair from? Unless Supercuts is secretly supplying bulk shipments of it to the bakery industry (now there's a disgusting thought).
Categories: Food
Posted by The Curator on Mon May 31, 2004
Try India where hair is shorn off millions of heads each year at Tirupati. It is no secret that much of the hair is sold to make wigs. Other hair not being of good quality is sold to Chinese industry.
Posted by Ronald  in  New York  on  Thu Jun 03, 2004  at  06:36 PM
I like to eat human hair, though.
Posted by Fred  in  Florida  on  Mon Nov 20, 2006  at  11:08 AM
The April 2007 edition of Harper's magazine does a piece titled the "Dietary Industrial Complex" that disects the contents of a musilim approved MRE (meal ready to eat) that mentions human hair and bakery products...
Posted by william farkas  in  hamilton ont  on  Wed Apr 11, 2007  at  08:37 PM
Human Hair mmmmmm................
Posted by Bob  in  Florida  on  Mon Aug 27, 2007  at  07:44 PM
White flour usually contains the addative L-Cysteine which is sourced from animal hair feather and in some cases, human hair.

Awful but true.

To avoid eating human hair in your bread - buy 'Wholemeal' instead.

Avoid E120 (european clasification) red food colouring too if you don't want to eat dead beetles.

JimP
Posted by jim  in  wales (UK)  on  Mon Jan 07, 2008  at  01:26 PM
As a stylist for 25 years, I am used to eating a little hair with my food!
Posted by Sue  in  USA  on  Sun Jul 06, 2008  at  05:05 PM
erghh!!!!!!!!
Posted by sarah  in  wales, uk  on  Sun Feb 22, 2009  at  10:48 AM
hey human hair is yummmyyyyy
Posted by fsgr  in  sgfg  on  Thu Jan 21, 2010  at  07:19 PM
I work with hair the whole day, I am a wigmaker, but the idea is repulsive! beuuuuuuuuuuu
Posted by feliz  in  belgium  on  Sat May 29, 2010  at  01:23 PM
Yeah it is used to...

1. Reduce the mixing time of the flour dough.
2. Stop shrinking of pizza crust after it is flattened.
3. Help move the dough through various bakery processing equipments or dough conditioners.
Posted by Jake Lopez  in  USA  on  Wed Jun 30, 2010  at  03:10 PM
Gives me the creeps, like hearing about those horror
stories from nazi concentration camps. They used human hair, just as they did with human skin.
Posted by Bob  in  Frankfort, IL USA  on  Wed Aug 04, 2010  at  09:44 PM