Unfortunate Last Names
I've always thought my last name was pretty bad. And I mean that in the literal sense. 'Boese' means 'bad' (or angry) in German. But its meaning wouldn't matter much if only English-speaking people could pronounce it (it's 'burr-za', as if it had an 'r' in it... not 'boose'). But I shouldn't feel too sorry for myself, because this guy in Brazil, Mr. Reinhardt Adolfo Fuck, has me beat hands down. As far as I can tell, that really is his name. He must get endless jokes about it.
Identity/Imposters
Posted by The Curator on Thu May 20, 2004 Comments (693)
Greetings. Dr Reinhardt A. Fuck indeed is a real
person. He is a respected geologist from Brazil.
I did a literature search on his name in the
international database GeoRef and there are 91
bibliographic citations for him.

Steve Craigg
Hydrogeologist
Atlanta, GA
Posted by steve craigg  in  atlanta, GA  on  Thu May 20, 2004  at  03:09 PM
Dr. Fuck no doubt comes from German stock. His
last name is probably pronounced "Fook.

BTW--I really like your site. I've always wondered how you get the time to devote to it.
Posted by steve craigg  in  Atlanta, GA  on  Thu May 20, 2004  at  03:31 PM
You would think he would legally change his name.
Posted by Alex  in  GA  on  Thu May 20, 2004  at  06:44 PM
Maybe he doesn't want to change it. Having a name like that might actually help him pick up women. Or it might not. Could work either way... depending on the woman, really.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Thu May 20, 2004  at  07:00 PM
I had an art teacher named Mrs. Anger, and a friend whose last name was Gross.
Posted by PlantPerson  on  Thu May 20, 2004  at  08:52 PM
I had a dentist named Dr. Maybe. But the all time winner is the girl who sat behind me for a semester of Freshman algebra in high school: Nancy Kockabich. Yes, it's pronounced how you're thinking.
Posted by Goo  in  Dexter, Maine  on  Thu May 20, 2004  at  11:54 PM
My mother is a college professor, and at UCSD early in her career, she somehow got a Justin Time (Thyme?) and a Justin Case in the same class! They actually partnered up for projects, I think.

Also in San Diego, I distinctly remember a Dick Ryder running for a position in local government sometime in the early 90s. I am absolutely not making this up. Why wouldn't you go by "Richard?"

More recently, I found out that the first name of the manager of a friend's apartment building is Nimrod. He's of middle-eastern or eastern-european descent, and it's a biblical name, but even so -- you can't help but do a double take when someone shakes your hand and says "Hi, I'm Nimrod."
Posted by Ben Syverson  in  Chicago, IL  on  Fri May 21, 2004  at  02:33 AM
The real estate agent in our town is Dick Payne... Again, why would you not make it Richard? Especially when you're going to display it on large signs all over town...
Posted by Lachlina  on  Fri May 21, 2004  at  06:42 AM
Here in Portugal there's a Brasilian football plauer known as Argel, but is real name is ArgĖŠlico Fucks.
There's also an italian (I think) named Marco Bode (stands in portuguese for male goat...)
Posted by sakeb  in  Portugal  on  Fri May 21, 2004  at  09:25 AM
Let's see... there's a Dick Seaman, the GP racer from the 1930's; there's Amigone Funeral home; and don't forget Dick Trickle, the NASCAR driver
Posted by Bob S. Yunkle  on  Fri May 21, 2004  at  12:47 PM
These are all good aptronyms being posted. I know several usgs people whose names are aprtonyms:
Robert Gauger (stream hydrologist)
Richard Hereford (geomorphologist, specializes in the effects of cattle overgrazing on arroyo formation in arid landscapes)
Erik Beever (ecologist)
Kyle Juracek (geologist)
John Sutter (geologist; remember Sutter's Mill?)
there's Sally Ride (the astronaut)
the list could go on and on. i'm sure there's an
aptronym website out there.
Posted by steve craigg  in  Atlanta, GA  on  Fri May 21, 2004  at  12:56 PM
Here in San Diego there's a car dealership called Lusti Motors. I always figured that must be a happily married couple who owns it: Mr. and Mrs. Lusti.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Fri May 21, 2004  at  01:09 PM
sorry to post again, but I just remembered... once my dad had an interview with a guy named Sultan McDoom. We all got a laugh out of that one, and the idea that he might get a job with Sultan McDoom as his boss.
Posted by PlantPerson  on  Fri May 21, 2004  at  04:55 PM
My Aunt in Iowa has a dermatologist named Harry Hyde...really...true person.
Posted by Gee  on  Fri May 21, 2004  at  05:55 PM
There is a funeral home near Buffalo, NY - "Amigone Funeral Home"...
Posted by Megan  in  Arlington  on  Fri May 21, 2004  at  08:53 PM
Edith Mycock..she was a year behind me in high school. A relative of her lives a few doors down from me. Her maiden name is Mycock.
Posted by bob g  on  Fri May 21, 2004  at  10:20 PM
I lived in Porto Alegre ( Rio Grande do Sul) for a while and there are lots of Fucks there (fnarr fnarr snigger). By the way, I went to school with a girl called Nichola Gotobed, who apparently did put out , but wether this is true or not I don
Posted by Alistair  in  Macei  on  Sat May 22, 2004  at  12:38 PM
In Keneduskeg, Maine there's an orchard called Treworgy Orchards. Apparently named after the family that owns it.
Posted by Goo  in  Dexter, Maine  on  Sat May 22, 2004  at  06:27 PM
Is the town of Fucking, Australia a real place?
Posted by David  in  CA  on  Sat May 22, 2004  at  09:25 PM
Yes and no, it's in Austria.
Posted by Peter  on  Sun May 23, 2004  at  09:37 AM
I played football against a guy in high school with an unfortunate last name. His first name was Jeremy, and his last names was pronounced shi-they-ad. But sadly, it was spelled shithead. And the name shithead didnt look very good on the back of a football jersey.
Posted by Bob  on  Sun May 23, 2004  at  04:47 PM
There was a woman, daughter of a former Texas governor, James Hogg, whose name was Ima. That's right, she was Ima Hogg.
Posted by Bionic Bozo  in  San Marcos, TX  on  Sun May 23, 2004  at  09:59 PM
And don't forget the thousands of places (city, streets, etc..) named Fu King
Posted by Bob S. Yunkle  on  Mon May 24, 2004  at  01:24 AM
A man that goes to my church has the name Ivan Odor.
Posted by AJ  in  Michigan  on  Mon May 24, 2004  at  10:27 AM
In high school there was an Asian boy bearing the unfortunate name of Pissit Tapanya...
Posted by K  on  Mon May 24, 2004  at  02:14 PM
Mr. Lear of Lear jet named his daughter, Krista Shanda Lear.
Knew a girl in highschool- her grandmother's name--Christy Malisty Spitznoggle. Her other gm's name --Florence Hotblast Brown--The Florence Hotblast cookstove was delivered on her birthday.
Posted by allan munkres  in  benicia, ca  on  Mon May 24, 2004  at  05:20 PM
I used to live in a house with a girl named Melinda Cockhead.

Went to school with Titsianna Boobalini.

Worked with an exchange photomat dude named Dum Phuick.

Ah... the laughs go on and on...
Posted by Happy Noodle Boy  in  Ausfailure  on  Tue May 25, 2004  at  01:06 AM
I know someone with the last name Cockburn
Posted by Abi  in  A'burg  on  Tue May 25, 2004  at  10:11 AM
Some people with the surname Hornblow live near me and some unfortunate Chinese person has a name that looks like You Shit! Yu something. Alas I've long forgotten the Shit part of the name...
Posted by Jan  on  Tue May 25, 2004  at  10:42 AM
My friend graduated just this month and in his class there was a woman named Anita Dick. She married into the name.

When my mother graduated last year from grad school one of the presenting professors was Anita Panake. It is pronounced PAN-a-kay, but it was misheard as Pancake.
Posted by Tam  in  Texas  on  Tue May 25, 2004  at  12:36 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 24 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.