HOME   |   ABOUT   |   FORUM   |   CONTACT   |   FACEBOOK   |   RSS
April Fool Archive
April fools throughout history
Hoax Photo
Archive

Weblog Archive
March 2005
image For the pooch that has everything, the internet now brings you Dog Condoms:

What Sizes and Scents Do They Come In?
Dog condoms come in three sizes to fit small, medium, and large breeds. Almost every dog will find a comfortable, well-proportioned condom to meet their needs. The condoms also come in lubricated and meat scented varieties to enhance pleasure for both dog partners.
How Effective Are They?
Clinical studies are still underway, but we expect them to be about as effective, if used correctly, as human condoms.
Can I Train My Dog To Put It On Himself?
No, the dog will require human intervention each time he wishes to put on or take off a condom.

Great idea, although it seems to kind of defeat the purpose to make them meat scented. (yes, I am assuming these are a joke... thanks to Ric for the link).
Categories: Animals, Sex/Romance
Posted by Alex on Tue Mar 22, 2005
To complement my list of the Top 100 Best April Fool's Day hoaxes of all time, I've now created a list of the Top 10 WORST April Fool's Day hoaxes ever. These aren't jokes that are just lame or old. These are (at least in my opinion) attempts at humor that are profoundly awful. But they're so bad that a few of them are kind of funny, in a dark, twisted way. Enjoy.
Categories: April Fools Day
Posted by Alex on Tue Mar 22, 2005
I just received this request from USA Today. I'm not sure how to respond to it. Any suggestions?

Hello,
We are doing a story on 10 great places that have fools in their name. Do
you have any handout photographs of the exterior or interior of the museum?
Thanks so much,
Life Picture Desk
USA TODAY
Categories: Miscellaneous, Photos/Videos
Posted by Alex on Mon Mar 21, 2005
I received an email with these pictures of extreme cars attached. Are they real? I'm not sure, though they look like something you'd find in a Worth1000 photoshop contest. I have the feeling that I've seen the pictures before, but I'm not sure where or when. I'm sure someone will know the story behind them.
imageimageimage
imageimageimage
Categories: Photos/Videos
Posted by Alex on Mon Mar 21, 2005
image I love my cat, but the idea of making a pillow out of her seems a bit ghoulish to me. But those who fancy the idea can have pet pillows prepared by Jeanette's Taxidermy. However, you have to make sure you follow the instructions carefully: "Please freeze your pet immediately upon passing to insure there will be no hair slippage.  Double bag to insure no freezerburn." This is similar to VIP Fibers, the company that will make a sweater out of your pet's fur, which I posted about last year. The difference is that VIP Fibers doesn't require your pet to be dead first.
Categories: Animals, Death
Posted by Alex on Mon Mar 21, 2005
image The setting is a dorm room. A kid gets sprayed with water and retaliates by throwing a pair of scissors which, if you think the video is real, lodge in the arm of the kid spraying the water. I'm skeptical that it's real. Those would have to be some pretty sharp scissors to stick in an arm like that and most scissors are blunt (purposefully).
Categories: Photos/Videos
Posted by Alex on Sun Mar 20, 2005
About a month ago I mentioned reading about a beer named Bigfoot Barleywine-style Ale. Well, I found some of it on sale at my local beer store and just had a bottle of it. It's very good, but also very strong (almost 10% alcohol content), so I doubt that it would agree with anyone who's used to light American lagers. While I was at the store I also noticed a beer called Moose Drool, so I had to get some of that also. It'll be a night of Bigfoot and Moose Drool for me. Wish me luck.
imageimage
Categories: Food
Posted by Alex on Fri Mar 18, 2005
The rumor I heard was that McDonalds would be outsourcing the job of taking orders at the drive-thru window to some company in North Dakota, because the minimum wage in North Dakota is only $5.15, whereas it's higher in other states, so they figure they can save some money. In other words, you could be going through a drive-thru in San Diego and giving your order to some guy in North Dakota. This struck me as very odd. But it appears that the story is basically true, except that McDonalds denies that its reasons for doing this has anything to do with trying to pay their employees less. They claim that when employees have to take orders over the drive-thru mic and deliver food at the same time, they start making a lot of mistakes. So this is just an effort to make the system more efficient. Maybe. But I've read Fast Food Nation so I know that McDonalds is one of the worst companies in terms of underpaying their employees, and I'm guessing that they are hoping this will reduce labor costs.
Categories: Business/Finance, Food
Posted by Alex on Fri Mar 18, 2005
image Have you ever wanted to fill your home with the smell of Jesus? Now it's possible. A couple of Christian entrepreneurs have bottled the smell of Jesus and put it in a candle. They're selling these candles under the brand name "His Essence". So how do they know what Jesus smelled like? Simple. Psalm 45 mentions that when Christ returns his robes will be "fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia", so knowing a great marketing opportunity when they saw one, Bob and Karen Tosterud mixed up the scent of myrrh, aloe, and cassia and put it in a candle. I suppose next there will be His Essence perfume. His Essence deodorant. What about His Essence bathroom freshener?
Categories: Religion
Posted by Alex on Fri Mar 18, 2005
TalkToAliens.com is a company that will beam any message you want into outer space, so that you can 'talk to the aliens.' The way it works is that you call their 1-900 number (it'll cost you $3.99 a minute). The phone line is hooked up directly to a parabolic antenna that beams your voice into space, live, as you talk. This sounds similar to Endless Echoes which also beams recorded messages into space (they advertise it as a way to contact the dearly departed). What I find interesting is TalkToAliens' response to the question: What proof do we have that you are indeed transmitting?

We are working to provide live "proof" -- such as a live Web cam with views of our transmitter and our parabolic dish antenna. But we've just launched the service, which is financed with our own private funds. Now that the transmitter is up and running, our attention will focus on some of the more interactive opportunities, like the Web cam.

Why would a webcam image of an antenna prove anything? In fact, I can't think of any good way they could prove that they're really doing what they claim to be doing. But then again, does it really matter. It's just a gimmick anyway. New Scientist has more info about the company. (via Home Town Tales)
Categories: Extraterrestrial Life
Posted by Alex on Fri Mar 18, 2005
Here's an old news story (from Dec. 2003), but it's still interesting from an urban legend perspective. An 18-year-old youth in South Africa claims that three women forced him at gunpoint to have sex with them. "The youth claims that after this the women said welcome to the world of Aids." It seems like the police didn't believe his story. They just laughed at him, which isn't surprising considering that his story is exactly like that urban legend about someone who wakes up after a one-night stand to find the person they slept with has disappeared and written 'Welcome to the world of AIDS' on the bathroom mirror. But just imagine if the kid is telling the truth. No one will ever believe him.
Categories: Law/Police/Crime, Urban Legends
Posted by Alex on Thu Mar 17, 2005
image Some guy (I can't find his name) has put together a huge and fascinating collection of examples of 'adventure art'. Many of the examples he describes are basically elaborate pranks. Some of the stuff is completely insane. Many of the stunts seem to end with the artist's arrest. I haven't had the time to read all of it, but here are a few samples that caught my eye:
  • The Austrian artist group produced "Nellanutella" as part of their contribution for the Venice Biennale. The artists threw themselves repeatedly into Venice's canals from café tables, bridges and boats.
  • Gordon Matta Clark cut large holes into the walls of Pier 52 on the Hudson River. The work "day's end" resulted in a warrant issued for the artist's arrest and his eventual flight to Europe.
  • Doug Fishbone installed a gigantic mountain of bananas - well over a ton of them - in the historic town square in Piotrkow Trybunalski in Poland. The work, which was eaten by the crowd in minutes, was meant as a commentary on greed, globalization, consumerism and violence.
That last guy, Doug Fishbone (the banana artist), actually went to Amherst College with me. We were both in the same year but never hung out together. I haven't seen him since Amherst.
Categories: Art, Pranks
Posted by Alex on Thu Mar 17, 2005
image As everyone knows, Germans are the life of the party wherever they go. So what better way to add some spice to your life than to Rent A German: "Imagine to appear with your German at parties, family events, or just hang out with them at the local shopping center. No matter, wich occasion you choose, you can surely impress your environment by presenting an original German." I have dual US-German citizenship, so I guess I could sign up to be rented out. However, I speak hardly any German, so people would probably think I wasn't authentic enough.
Categories: Websites
Posted by Alex on Thu Mar 17, 2005
After reading about this, I'm just at a loss for words. How in the world is this guy lifting the weight? Is he using a string to tie it to himself? Or is he just somehow positioning himself to lift the dumbbell from the ground? Either way, it can't be real. 75kg is a lot of weight. About 165lbs. Many men would struggle to bench press that much (especially if they had never done any weight training). And, of course, the fact that the story is on Ananova doesn't lend it credibility:

A Chinese man has lifted a 75kg barbell for 10 seconds - with his penis. Zhan, from Harbin city, Helongjiang province, said the skill is a branch of Kung Fu, which is exclusive to his family. Zhan, 55, says his father taught him the skill to help him get fit after a serious illness when he was 18. He started training by lifting small bricks with his penis, then gradually added weights and extended duration, reports Yangtsi Evening Post. Zhan, a director of the Hong Kong Chinese Culture Development Fund, said he had no interest in applying to the Guinness Book of Records.