Hoax Museum Blog Posts From
July 2004
Give a Kidney for Christ
Posted by The Curator on Wed Jul 07, 2004
Most people have probably heard that old urban legend about a guy who shares a drink with a stranger at a bar and then wakes up in a bathtub full of ice the next morning without a kidney... the victim of kidney harvesters. But the following case is almost the exact opposite. Members of the 'Jesus Christians' cult are lying and scheming in order to get rid of their kidneys, even though the medical authorities don't want them. The leader of the cult, Dave McKay, encourages his followers to donate their kidneys. He considers the donation to be a kind of sacrifice to Christ. The problem is that Australia, where the cult is based,…
Car Filled with Gum Prank
Posted by The Curator on Wed Jul 07, 2004
Magic Mackeigan decided to help his girlfriend quit smoking by filling her entire car up with gum. Valerie Karriman discovered the surprise when she walked out to her car in the morning. I guess she was late to work that day. Of course, gum melts in the sun, which is something that it doesn't sound like Magic thought about during his elaborate preparations. I'm assuming Valerie managed to clean the car out in time, but if she didn't I figure Magic would be out one girlfriend. (Thanks to Goo for the link)
Categories: Pranks Comments (5)
Site Update
Posted by The Curator on Tue Jul 06, 2004
I've been visiting family in Virginia this week, so posting has been pretty light... and will continue to be light until July 11th. Just in case anyone was wondering. That thumbnail there shows part of the Chesapeake Bay visible from my parents' front lawn. It's a lot nicer than the view of a busy road that you get from my house in San Diego (even though I much prefer San Diego weather).
Categories: Miscellaneous Comments (5)
Finland Fanny Bus
Posted by The Curator on Tue Jul 06, 2004
This image may have been circulating around for a while, but I just got it in my email for the first time today. It purports to show the 'worst named bus company in Finland.' That would be the 'Big Hairy Fanny' Bus Line. I've come across oddly named bus lines before (specifically the Lamers bus company that operates in Wisconsin), but I refuse to believe that there's really a bus company in Finland calling itself Big Hairy Fanny. My suspicion is that the picture was photoshopped (it's pretty easy to insert text into pictures). Or perhaps there really is a bus touring around somewhere with 'Big…
Naomi V. Jelish and other Nonexistent Artists
Posted by The Curator on Sat Jul 03, 2004
A major new talent can be added to the rollcall of nonexistent artists: Naomi V. Jelish. Naomi is a 13-year-old prodigy. She has a collection of sketches currently on exhibit at the Saatchi Gallery in London. But Naomi doesn't actually exist. Naomi and her work are the fictional creation of 25-year-old artist Jamie Shovlin (Naomi V. Jelish is an anagram of Jamie Shovlin). Visitors to the exhibit are given no clue that Naomi is fictitious. Other nonexistent artists that I'm aware of are Johann Dieter Wassmann and Pavel Jerdanowitch. (thanks to hollydog in the Hoax Forum for the link)
Categories: Art Comments (5)
Fight Club, The Musical
Posted by The Curator on Sat Jul 03, 2004
Playbill is reporting that Chuck Palahniuk's hyper-masculine novel Fight Club (which was made into a movie starring Edward Norton) may come to the stage as a musical. This news was reported by Palahniuk himself at a recent book reading. But still, it's raised a few skeptical eyebrows. After all, musicals tend not to be the first thing that spring to mind when you think of manliness and bare-knuckled boxing. What's next: Fight Club, the Ice Ballet? Fight Club, the Synchronized Swimming Version? Nevertheless, Ain't It Cool News thinks the rumor is true, so perhaps it is. Or maybe Palahniuk was just pulling everyone's leg.