Hoax Museum Blog Posts From
October 2003
Pool Shark
Posted by The Curator on Sat Oct 18, 2003
Mark Allsop was kind enough to send along this photo of him and his kids on holiday in Australia. Thanks, Mark.
Categories: Photos/Videos Comments (6)
Jesus Face
Posted by The Curator on Sat Oct 18, 2003
Urine Prank
Posted by The Curator on Thu Oct 16, 2003
Two aides at a nursing home pull the old urine-in-a-sports-drink prank and discover the victim isn't amused when she discovers what she drank.
Categories: Pranks Comments (0)
Raeling Cloning Hoax, One Year Later
Posted by The Curator on Thu Oct 16, 2003
Remember the Raelians and their claims that they've produced a number of human clones? Well, this reporter infiltrated their ranks and writes that the Raelians are now all chuckling about what a brilliant publicity stunt the cloning hoax was.
Categories: Birth/Babies Comments (0)
Mother Teresa Hoax
Posted by The Curator on Thu Oct 16, 2003
Rationalists describe Mother Teresa's miraculous cure of Monica Besra's abdominal tumor as a hoax.
Categories: Religion Comments (0)
Johann Dieter Wassmann
Posted by The Curator on Thu Oct 16, 2003
I've already linked to the website of the art of Johann Dieter Wassmann, but The Age has a full article about this fictitious artist.
Categories: Art Comments (0)
Russian Roulette TV
Posted by The Curator on Thu Oct 16, 2003
Man plays Russian roulette on British TV as three million viewers watch. Of course, it was just an illusion, vetted in advance by the police. But the stunt causes controversy anyway.
Categories: Entertainment Comments (1)
Male Lactation
Posted by The Curator on Tue Oct 14, 2003
Here's an odd website, forwarded to me by Mara. It's titled Milkmen: Fathers Who Breastfeed. Now, when I first saw this I figured it had to be a joke. It surely can't be possible for men to lactate and produce enough milk to feed an infant. But after reading through the site, and exploring some of the links it provides, I'm beginning to suspect it might not be a joke. One of their links goes to this article about a man from Sri Lanka who breastfed his child after his wife died. I guess men do have all the physical equipment necessary to produce milk. It's just a question of…
Categories: Birth/Babies Comments (13)
Hell on Earth’s Suicide Stunt
Posted by The Curator on Wed Oct 01, 2003
Hell on Earth promises that its concert in St. Petersburg this weekend will include an onstage suicide. A terminally ill patient will be the one departing this world. I guess if you wanted to go, doing it at a rock concert wouldn't be a bad way to do it, but in my opinion this is a pure publicity stunt hoax. In the same vein as Hunting for Bambi, Or Freck's New Feet (in which Freck claimed he was going to cut off his legs for a live audience... that never happened, of course). What will happen in this case is that the police will show up, and the concert will never take place. But Hell on Earth will…
Categories: Death, Entertainment Comments (0)
No Marriage
Posted by The Curator on Wed Oct 01, 2003
A visitor (Carly) has asked me whether I think nomarriage.com is a hoax site. After checking it out, I don't think it is. The guy may be slightly tongue-in-cheek, and he's definitely designed his site to generate maximum controversy, but I'm sure that if you pay him $9.95 (via paypal) you really will get his NoMarriage book, and it'll basically be a misogynistic rant against American women. I could see people thinking it would be an amusing gag gift for someone about to get married, but personally I wouldn't want to give any money to the guy.