1 of 2
Disprove idiots to me
Posted: 18 June 2009 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

I am a recent purchaser of a coffee plunger even though I haven’t tried plunger coffee for years. My old coffee plunger died a cruel death by being disused after I couldn’t be bothered to clean it after every time I made a coffee with it. So what do I do? I buy a new coffee plunger.

I’d like some intelligent discussion on why my actions are not of an idiot but are of some use at least at the Quantum level. And is there a conspiracy to label coffee plunger purchasers such as myself as idiots?

I bought the coffee plunger from IKEA if that helps.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 18 June 2009 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-17

You were helping to stimulate the economy.  Good enough reason and not idiotic.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 18 June 2009 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Coffee is an abomination in the sight of the gods.  So poke their eyes out, before they see it.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 19 June 2009 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2006-01-01

Boy, you deserve hell for abusing coffee-making equipment like that! I bet you don’t even say your three Hail Mary’s before every first sip of godly goodness!

Posted: 19 June 2009 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  240
Joined  2007-06-23

What the hell is a coffee plunger? D:  If your coffee pot gets clogged with grounds you use it to unclog it?

Signature 

“You know, if you watch Jaws backwards, it

Posted: 19 June 2009 01:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Jen, Leader of The Hamster Brigade - 19 June 2009 05:41 AM

What the hell is a coffee plunger? D:  If your coffee pot gets clogged with grounds you use it to unclog it?

I see you’re not influenced by 80’s nostalgia.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 19 June 2009 02:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  240
Joined  2007-06-23
Peter - 19 June 2009 05:44 AM
Jen, Leader of The Hamster Brigade - 19 June 2009 05:41 AM

I see you’re not influenced by 80’s nostalgia.

It’d have to be nostalgia from some manner of past life.  Or implanted memories.  Damn CIA, messin’ with my preconceived notions.

Signature 

“You know, if you watch Jaws backwards, it

Posted: 19 June 2009 03:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06
Peter - 19 June 2009 01:49 AM

I bought the coffee plunger from IKEA if that helps.

It’s a Scandinavian conspiracy then. My Norwegian office roommate recently introduced such a plunger in my office as well.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 19 June 2009 03:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

In my defence my old coffee plunger seems cheaply made so I’m hoping this new one from IKEA will be easier to use.

I guess I’m showing my age when I mention 80’s nostalgia. I remember coffee plungers were all the rage for Yuppies going out to fashionable restaurants and the like.

For those who don’t know what they are here is some information. They are also called French Presses.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 19 June 2009 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Vikings are a cunning lot.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 19 June 2009 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

I don’t use a coffee press, but I do use a wire mesh filter for my drip coffee maker. And there IS a difference in the flavor of the coffee. (More full, less bitter)

My guess is that you merely bough another coffee plunger because you like the way it makes your coffee taste, and because you probably already have the perfect ground of coffee for it and so on.  Hopefully this one will be easier to clean so You can at least rinse it out after every pot. hmmm

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 19 June 2009 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
DavePrime - 19 June 2009 04:33 PM

I don’t use a coffee press, but I do use a wire mesh filter for my drip coffee maker. And there IS a difference in the flavor of the coffee. (More full, less bitter)

My guess is that you merely bough another coffee plunger because you like the way it makes your coffee taste, and because you probably already have the perfect ground of coffee for it and so on.  Hopefully this one will be easier to clean so You can at least rinse it out after every pot. hmmm

I don’t actually have the coffee I used to use for making plunger coffee. But I have been using instant coffee and even the good instant coffees can be a bit hard to drink after a while.

I live in a city that’s got a reputation for having high standards for coffee. Here in Melbourne we have many people from different ethnic backgrounds so the food and coffee landscape has been greatly affected by that. I’m a big coffee drinker myself. I can’t say I’m an aficionado of the Art of the Barista but I am fussy about coffee in my own way.

I enjoy a coffee that is not bitter but not weak either. If I can’t find a decent plunger coffee I might check out the more expensive coffee makers. Although I’m sure I can find some good plunger coffee again because I remember being able to taste examples of it in the city.

EDIT: My topic was on my buying a new version of what I originally stopped using. I think I’m starting to get obsessive about coffee. So I really do hope this new coffee plunger is easier to clean.  grin

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

1 of 2