{paginate}
1 of 2
{/paginate}
Disprove god to me
Posted: 17 June 2009 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-06-17

I am the youth leader at a church and I have been looking for someone to challenge my faith respectfully, as in, i respect your views and you respect mine. I am looking for an intellectual argument, not a little kid one, so lay it on me.

Posted: 18 June 2009 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-06-17

I am willing to bet there is no one who can sway me.

Posted: 18 June 2009 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10730
Joined  2008-02-21

With that attitude, I am sure you are right. hmmm

Basically what you seem to be asking for is a discussion of religion with no point in mind. Do you really think that you are actually going to change another’s viewpoint by arguing it over an anonymous web forum?  Doubtful.

I personally liked the Apostle Paul’s take on it: “Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God.” - Rom. 14:22  hmmm

Just a small thought to chew on…......

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 18 June 2009 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16

Being an agnostic (or, at least, that’s the closest word I’ve come across to describe my belief system), I believe there is the possibility that God exists (I like how you have “god” in lowercase letters in the title of this thread - that says a lot about your faith right there), though I won’t believe it until/unless it’s proven to me.  So I would be unable to “prove” to you that God doesn’t exist since the only proof I have is the lack of proof that He does.

So I would rather have you offer proof to me that God does exist - since I have a strong lack of that kind of proof, too.  Undeniable, substantial, hard evidence that the All Mighty does exist.  Thanks.

Oh.  And I should put the warning in here that if the discussion in this thread becomes belligerent, hateful, flaming, trollish, argumentative, mean-spirited or anything other than a respectful and polite debate it will be closed before you can say, “Rumpelstiltskin.”  And any offending parties will be subject to discipline and warnings up to and including banning.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 18 June 2009 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5530
Joined  2007-03-14

Why should I even bother trying to debate you when you have it set in your mind that you can’t be swayed?  If you want a debate I challenge you to prove to me that god exists.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 18 June 2009 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2006-01-01
Kahuna Makani Koa - 18 June 2009 03:52 AM

I am the youth leader at a church and I have been looking for someone to challenge my faith respectfully, as in, i respect your views and you respect mine. I am looking for an intellectual argument, not a little kid one, so lay it on me.

Nah cheers, I’ll pass this one.

Posted: 18 June 2009 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1826
Joined  2006-03-03

I’m with Tah and gray on this one, if you’re so sure you’re right then prove it to us.

Signature 

I am the Malfunction!

Because dignity is overrated anyway cheese

Posted: 18 June 2009 02:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

I am an agnostic and a scientist, and am fed up with this kind of posts here.

Disprove unicorns to me. I am looking for someone to respectfully challenge my belief in them. I am looking for an intellectual argument.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 18 June 2009 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

It’s just slightly impossible to prove the non-existence of something.

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 18 June 2009 04:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Let’s see…

My usual argument for such things is as follows: What evidence or argument will you accept as conclusive in proving the argument? Is there anything I could say or point to that you would consider valid? In this case, what could I offer to you as proof that God does not exist that would accept it and say ‘Yes, you are correct’?

If we postulate that God’s existance is an article of Faith, then the faithful will Believe, independant of any and all evidence or argument to the contrary. Therefore any discussion aimed at ‘proving’ a nonexistance would be futile.

How do you know God exists? Because the Bible and Church says it is so.
How do you know they are correct? Because the Bible and Church says it is so.
There are other books and other faiths that say they are also correct, how do you know they are not? Because the Bible and Church says it is so.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 18 June 2009 05:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

bla bla bla, so lay it on me.

Ok.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 18 June 2009 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

God in the Christian concept exists beyond such matters as the material world, cause and effect, logic, science, and all that.  No system exists to disprove something that would exist beyond all systems.  You could disprove cases where he supposedly did interact with the material world (such as by showing that some event that is claimed to have happened didn’t happen), but that’s the limit of any disproving.

It’s easy enough for those who disbelieve to support their disbelief, though:  if God does exist, then where is the proof?  Lack of disproving is not proof of existence.  Just as you’d need actual proof to disprove the existence of God, you need actual proof to prove God’s existence as well.  And all that just about anybody in the world has seen is inference and stories that were already second-hand thousands of years ago.

Besides, it’s not up to those who have not seen any evidence in support of an idea to provide proof.  It’s the people who do support an idea who should do so.  Imagine what it would be like if you had to disprove the existence of every single faerie tale creature and myth.  How would you disprove LaMa’s unicorns?  You’d have to check every single square centimeter of the entire Universe simultaneously to do so, and that would be physically impossible (and even then it could be argued that that wouldn’t truly prove anything).  So if you’re supposed to believe in something unless it can be disproven, then you’d have to believe in a huge amount of stuff, most of it mutually incompatible.

On the other hand, to prove the existence of unicorns, all that would be needed is for somebody to show one.  Quick, simple, and definitive.  It should be simple to do, if unicorns do exist.

So while there’s no way to disprove God, it should be possible to prove that He does exist (if He does).  Can you provide any such proof?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

{paginate}
1 of 2
{/paginate}