1 of 1
{/paginate}
True Blood - the books and series
Posted: 04 June 2009 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Is anyone else watching this?  Erik has been steadily reading the books (started long before they decided to do the series), and says that so far they’ve kept to the book but embellished on a couple minor characters in the books putting them into starring roles and so far have removed Bubba (Elvis Presley gone to retardation because he hadn’t been property ‘turned’).

We’ve gotten all of the first season through Netflix because we don’t have HBO (I told Erik I want to get it so I don’t have to wait a year to see season 2). 

Obviously this is NOT something to watch with the children.  There is a horrific amount of sex and it’s fairly explicit but needs to be since this is part of the reason specific characters behave the way they do.  It’s addictive and I have REALLY loved the first season.  I really hate that I now have to wait for the next season!!!!!!!!!

LaMa mentioned this in another unrelated thread: Vampires Were People Too and in the same thread Charybdis gave the HBO url:  http://www.hbo.com/events/trueblood/

Anyone else watching???

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 04 June 2009 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  597
Joined  2009-06-04

If you have no qualms about using internet TV, you can watch the series on places like Surf The Channel and other similar places.  That’s how I watched the series, and I have to agree, it’s really good.  I don’t watch it anytime the kids are awake though, don’t need any questions about what the people on the screen are doing lol.  I’m trying to convince my hubby to give the series a try, though he doesn’t usually like the same shows I do.

Signature 

Help my dragon grow http://dragcave.net/user/CarmenSense

Posted: 04 June 2009 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

I might watch it, says the hubby spoken of above.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 04 June 2009 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

What age do you guys think would be the limit would be? More R rated or PG13?  My 18 yr old would be fine but I have a 12 yr old that I would question would be old enough.  But suprisingly for a boy he doesn’t like horror stuff, even that is more for his age group

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 04 June 2009 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Not appropriate for a 12-year old, not because of the horror but because of the gratuitous sex in the series because it’s part of the reason for the scenarios playing out.  The themes even besides this, however, are very adult oriented.  It’s unusually well written, fast paced and the acting is excellent.

According to TV ratings this is an MA (mature audience)
If it was a movie it would be R

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 04 June 2009 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16
hulitoons - 04 June 2009 11:54 PM

It’s unusually well written, fast paced and the acting is excellent.

Which, from what I’ve always heard about HBO series, is not unusual.  (That is an HBO series, right?)

But I’ve never watched HBO series, so can’t say first hand.

Though if HBO makes a series out of George R. R. Martin’s A Song of Fire and Ice books I may very well have to subscribe to HBO just to watch it.  That is an excellent series of books (so far).

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 04 June 2009 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9365
Joined  2005-01-23

Christian downloaded the pilot episode that was leaked on the net about six months before the show started to air and even though the episode had missing scenes and wasn’t finished yet, I was hooked. I went out and started reading the books and so by the time the series began I was a huge fan. The show was really well done and even though Christian hasn’t read the books, he really enjoys it too. But yeah, definitely not something that you want the kiddies to see! Even the opening credits are explicit!

Signature 

The Middleman: (drinking milk) You know, that was some darn fine cow squirt.

Posted: 29 June 2009 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-06-29

I have actually just started watching True Blood.  I have seen the first two episodes of season two.  Over the next few days I am going to watch all of the first season on demand.  I really did not think I would enjoy the show but have really found myself “sucked in”  cheese However, like an earlier poster said, definitely not appropriate for a 12 year old.

Signature 

Greg

Posted: 10 October 2009 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9094
Joined  2008-03-02

I just started watching the series a few days ago, and love it!  I’m going to have to pick up the books too, I think. smile

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 10 October 2009 04:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26366
Joined  2004-11-29

I was actually a little disappointed with the series in comparison to the books.  I found that the vampires reminded me of the way that they were portrayed in the original Buffy movie - kinda cheesy.  I absolutely pissed myself laughing at the end of one of the early episodes where Sookie’s confronted by the trio of vampires at Bill’s place and the vamps all have their fangs out and are hissing…huh…and on second thoughts, that reminds me of a scene in Red Dwarf…

I was also a bit disappointed that by the end of the series, Sookie’s turned into a damsel in distress type.  Plus, do they really need to swear in (what seems like) every other sentence?  Charlaine Harris managed to write all those books in the series with minimal swearing (I think I only recall one or two occasions where she’s put in the f-bomb).

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}