{/paginate}
“Australian giant spider invasion” is a hoax
Posted: 09 May 2009 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

source

UK reports about large numbers of venomous spiders invading the Oz town of Bowen appear grossly exaggerated.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 09 May 2009 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I think one of my kids might be one of these spiders…she’s hairy, she barks…she bites!

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 09 May 2009 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10730
Joined  2008-02-21

Hey! ONE big, hairy, venomous, barking spider ,bigger than you hand ,IS an invasion! gulp  wink

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 09 May 2009 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Maegan - 09 May 2009 02:15 PM

I think one of my kids might be one of these spiders…she’s hairy, she barks…she bites!

And if that kid is like her mother, she is venomous as well…  cheese  tongue wink

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 09 May 2009 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

They whistle when you get near them? Bizarre.

When I saw the phrase “sensationalist UK newspaper” I fully expected the link to go to the Sun or the Daily Mail or the Daily Express. But the Times? You kidding me?

That newspaper just dropped about 8 places down my ranking of journalism. It now sits behind the Beano.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 09 May 2009 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08
LaMa - 09 May 2009 03:57 PM
Maegan - 09 May 2009 02:15 PM

And if that kid is like her mother, she is venomous as well…  cheese  tongue wink

At this stage, the venom is probably harmless.  It’ll become dangerous after puberty.

And I agree with Dave…one should be considered an invasioN!

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 09 May 2009 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

“‘Accounts of a giant spider invasion have been greatly exaggerated,’ announced the town’s new mayor, Mrs. A. Rachne.  A further press conference is scheduled for this evening in her parlour.”

Renquist - 09 May 2009 07:41 PM

They whistle when you get near them? Bizarre.

A lot of spiders do that, actually.  Usually only the larger ones are audible, though.

DavePrime - 09 May 2009 02:52 PM

Hey! ONE big, hairy, venomous, barking spider ,bigger than you hand ,IS an invasion! gulp  wink

I think it’s more a case of the spiders who already live there being less discrete and more visible than usual, rather than foreign spiders moving in.  So it’s more a “coming out of the closet” thing than an invasion thing.  Perhaps literally.  wink

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 09 May 2009 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01

Dunno if they’re venomous, but I’d swear my bathroom suffered a spider invasion just last week. They’d all converge at the part of the ceiling in the bathroom shower stall while I was taking a freaking shower.  shut eye

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 09 May 2009 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
ZeldaQueen - 10 May 2009 12:48 AM

Dunno if they’re venomous, but I’d swear my bathroom suffered a spider invasion just last week. They’d all converge at the part of the ceiling in the bathroom shower stall while I was taking a freaking shower.  shut eye

They have eight eyes. . .all the better to stare at you pervishly. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 09 May 2009 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-01
Accipiter - 10 May 2009 12:55 AM
ZeldaQueen - 10 May 2009 12:48 AM

I swear those things are there to spite me. I honestly hate spiders most of all… *shudders*

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 09 May 2009 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

I read that as ‘peevishly’ and wondered why the spiders would be annoyed - had she cut in front of them in the shower queue or something…

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 09 May 2009 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-01
Madmouse - 10 May 2009 12:59 AM

I read that as ‘peevishly’ and wondered why the spiders would be annoyed - had she cut in front of them in the shower queue or something…

Maybe their mad that I ruined their webs when I turned the water on.  cheese

Signature 

~Dave Barry

{paginate}
1 of 3
{/paginate}