It’s nothing personal. Just business:  who would you just LOVE to grace this phrase to?
Posted: 20 March 2009 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

You’ll get 32,400,000 hits via Google for the phrase:  nothing personal, just business.  Perhaps there will be a lot more added by the end of this day?

I consider this phrase to be the cop-out phrase of, at the very least, this decade.  As soon as I hear this froth from an individual’s mouth, I now immediately label them thugs and/or MUCH worse.  But that’s me, and after hearing one employer I worked for use it over and over so many times to good and loyal employees who stood before him to be shanked out of their jobs for no reason except that the employer loved to ‘see their face after I’ve really worked them dry the entire day and gotten my money’s worth or more’.

Probably he shouldn’t have shared that with me so very often because, just after my last day - when he requested me to return to the office to speak with him (after I’d been sent home on New Year’s Eve), I instead sent an e-mail advising that there was no need for me to meet with him at his office at all, but that I was requesting written documentation that my unemployment insurance was in fact up to date along with the actual date of my dismissal and ended with “I have always valued your kindness and friendship, this is nothing personal, just business.’ 

I received all information I needed promptly, along with an apology and a rather hefty severance check and a couple other perks. 

Who would YOU like to slam this phrase to???
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NothingPersonal

Nothing Personal

“It’s nothing personal. Just business.”

A Stock Phrase that has two uses.

The first is usually used by an antagonist. Generally it will be given after the antagonist has announced what he’s about to do, but before he actually does it. Alternatively, it may be given after the protagonist has overwhelmed the villain and the villain is trying to defuse the hero’s anger or justify his actions. It wasn’t personal, after all. This can also come in the form of “it’s not personal.”

Often used this way by the Lovable Traitor and the Punch Clock Villain.

Usually, when a person says this, it really isn’t personal to them. Why this should matter to the person they’re hurting is a mystery, however. As such, this trope can also refer to the character himself and not just to dialogue.

The second is to use it as another way of saying “no offense.” Nothing personal, but this comment might offend you. This is more a figure of speech than a stock phrase, and as such we probably shouldn’t catalog examples.

Contrast times when it IS personalhttp://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitlelsweoq6tcdke?from=Main.ItsPersonal

continued examples next post:

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 20 March 2009 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NothingPersonal

Examples

Anime and Manga

* Used in Afro Samurai, when a random mook who led an attack for the Number Two Headband asks Afro “Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?”, Afro replies “Nothing personal. It’s just revenge.”
  * Mahou Sensei Negima has Fate starting off like this. He actually says adoesn’t have anything against Negi, but beats the crap out of him because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Eventually after Negi screws up his plans, he switches to Its Personal.
  * Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion, one of the JSSDF tells Shinji that shooting him in the head is nothing personal, Misato explains to said grunt that he shouldn’t take her blowing them away personally either.

Film

* One of the most famous examples has to come from The Godfather.
    Tom Hagen: “Your father wouldn’t want to hear this, Sonny. This is business not personal.”
    Sonny: “They shoot my father and it’s business, my ass!”
    Tom Hagen: “Even shooting your father was business not personal, Sonny!”
      o And again in The Godfather, used by Tessio to Hagen at the end.
  * Used by the invading alien in the upcoming movie Monsters vs. Aliens
  * In the current movie Taken, one of the antagonists uses this. The protagonist replies “It was always personal to me” and shoots him anyway.
  * Y

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are