Did Noah take dinosaurs on the Ark?
Posted: 18 August 2006 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05
David B. - 18 August 2006 01:16 PM
Meerkat - 17 August 2006 06:16 PM

Technically I’m Kuaistic but prefer to be called Wiccan, is anyone else Kuaistic?

I’m cowistic (i.e. where a form asks my religion, I tick ‘udder’), after all ‘om’ said backwards is ‘moo’.

Oh, that is heavy!

Koom-bye-Yah!

Dan the Mystic

Posted: 06 December 2010 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-12-06

noah. ark never happened and no flood happened .this is just something you find in children’s story books . the reason it never happened is simply there are about 80000 types of insects on earth and if the flood really did happen these insects would of been all washed away with the flood and would of become extinct ,and there would of been no way noah would of been able to go out there in the world and collect every 2 species of 800000 insects ,to take on board the boat .so the bible has lied

Posted: 06 December 2010 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2010-09-21
meanghost - 06 December 2010 05:30 PM

there would of been no way noah would of been able to go out there in the world and collect every 2 species of 800000 insects ,to take on board the boat .so the bible has lied

Actually, some have argued that since the Bible passage actually says

Genesis 6:19 shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.

It could be interpreted ( funny how often that word pops up when discussing a book that is supposedly the “infallible Word of God) to mean 2 of each kind not 2 of each species… so for example ( they interpret)  he could get a male & female wolf & that pair ( thru the power of God) would be used to re-populate thw Earth with wolves, coyotes, dingos, hyenas, foxes etc etc.

Who knows WHAT is meant by “And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort ” means?  Don’t forget, this is the same God that considers bats to be birds

Leviticus 11:

13And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray,

14And the vulture, and the kite after his kind;

15Every raven after his kind;

16And the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckow, and the hawk after his kind,

17And the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl,

18And the swan, and the pelican, and the gier eagle,

19And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.

With that much unfamiliarity regarding what species a bat is, we should be glad God remembered enough to make sure Noah had a male & female of each species.

Still doesn’t explain why God wouldn’t just eliminate all the sinning humans with the wave of a hand rather than bother with a flood, the ark, tc.

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

“The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.”

Posted: 07 December 2010 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15
meanghost - 06 December 2010 05:30 PM

noah. ark never happened and no flood happened .this is just something you find in children’s story books . the reason it never happened is simply there are about 80000 types of insects on earth and if the flood really did happen these insects would of been all washed away with the flood and would of become extinct ,and there would of been no way noah would of been able to go out there in the world and collect every 2 species of 800000 insects ,to take on board the boat .so the bible has lied

Actually there a number of “flood related” stories that probably resulted from an actual event at the end of the last Ice Age. This was when the land bridge that kept the Atlantic Ocean from flooding what is now the Mediterranean sea collapsed. I’ll try to dig up the link again although I think it’s been mentioned on MOH forums before.

I think it took something like 50 years for the Mediterranean sea to be filled.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 07 December 2010 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Peter - 07 December 2010 01:44 PM

Actually there a number of “flood related” stories that probably resulted from an actual event at the end of the last Ice Age. This was when the land bridge that kept the Atlantic Ocean from flooding what is now the Mediterranean sea collapsed.

The biggest problem with that idea being that it happened millions of years ago, which is about thirty times older than our species.

Another theory is that it was the Mediterranean spilling over into the Black Sea when a natural dam at the Bosporus gave way, which might actually have happened within only a thousand years or so of the events in the Bible.  Though there is a huge amount of debate about that.

Then there is also the refilling of the Aegean some time during the Miocene, a giant glacial lake that formed in western Siberia about 24,000 years ago, and the re-filling of the Persian Gulf about 14,000 years ago.

North America has its own massive ancient floods as well.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 07 December 2010 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15
Accipiter - 07 December 2010 04:03 PM
Peter - 07 December 2010 01:44 PM

Actually there a number of “flood related” stories that probably resulted from an actual event at the end of the last Ice Age. This was when the land bridge that kept the Atlantic Ocean from flooding what is now the Mediterranean sea collapsed.

The biggest problem with that idea being that it happened millions of years ago, which is about thirty times older than our species.

Another theory is that it was the Mediterranean spilling over into the Black Sea when a natural dam at the Bosporus gave way, which might actually have happened within only a thousand years or so of the events in the Bible.  Though there is a huge amount of debate about that.

Then there is also the refilling of the Aegean some time during the Miocene, a giant glacial lake that formed in western Siberia about 24,000 years ago, and the re-filling of the Persian Gulf about 14,000 years ago.

North America has its own massive ancient floods as well.

OK. I might’ve got my events mixed up. That Bosporus thingy sounds familiar as a likely culprit.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 07 December 2010 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Peter - 07 December 2010 10:30 PM

OK. I might’ve got my events mixed up. That Bosporus thingy sounds familiar as a likely culprit.

No, you were right:  the flooding of the Mediterranean is one of the most often cited possible Flood story inspiration scenarios.  It’s just that if it is, then it had to have really made an impression on our pre-human ancestors for it to have been passed down for so long.  Which would explain how a story of the Mediterranean forming would eventually become muddled into a story of an angry God flooding the world, I suppose; it would be like one of those games where one person tells something to the next person, and then that person tells it to the next person, and so on. . .only instead of just passing from person to person, it would also be passing from hominid species to later hominid species.

Of course, then there are those who have decided that the story of the Flood wasn’t an actual flood at all, but was instead a tsunami caused by a) a meteorite hitting the Indian ocean or b) the island of Thera exploding.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 07 December 2010 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  2005-10-21

There was also speculation about a good-sized flood of the Red Sea, I seem to recall..

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

12 of 12

‹‹ Between You and Me      Walken for 2008 ››