1 of 2
Anti-ion bracelet tomfoolery
Posted: 09 January 2009 04:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

Saw these today, ironically in a Fry’s Electronics: http://www.trionz.com/

To sum up, they want us to think that the human body is being bombarded by ions from electronic devices, and that their little $20 wristbands will - through the power of rubber bands and magnets - cleanse the body of these, resulting in improved health.

This is a level of stupid so arcane I don’t even know where to start.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 09 January 2009 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
ShaneE - 09 January 2009 10:37 PM

There is no way to dispel ions.

Actually there are, but they would be very. . .messy if done to the human body.

Not to mention that ions are absolutely and utterly essential for the proper function of your body, anyway, so ridding your body of them would be listed under the category of “Bad Things To Do”.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 13 January 2009 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5510
Joined  2007-03-14
Accipiter - 10 January 2009 03:16 AM
ShaneE - 09 January 2009 10:37 PM

There is no way to dispel ions.

Actually there are, but they would be very. . .messy if done to the human body.

Not to mention that ions are absolutely and utterly essential for the proper function of your body, anyway, so ridding your body of them would be listed under the category of “Bad Things To Do”.

I suppose that would depend on exactly what ions we are talking about.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 14 January 2009 02:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
gray - 14 January 2009 03:04 AM

I suppose that would depend on exactly what ions we are talking about.

I was just going by the idea of ions in general, since these “anti-ion” devices never seem to make any distinctions.  Na+, UH-. . .it’s all the same to them, apparently.

ShaneE - 14 January 2009 05:27 AM

Come on you guys do not know what you are talking about.  You have positive or negative ions that surround you everyday.  Every and any Atom can be a positive or negative Ion.

In theory, yes.  In reality, no.  Atoms don’t usually just go around shedding or gaining electrons for no reason.  So certain atoms tend to form certain ions in certain situations.  And of course metals tend to form cations while nonmetals form anions due to their relative ionisation energies.

You could remove all (or at least a very great many) of the ions from your body by getting into a giant anode/cathode device and ripping them all from your body.  It would not be a very good idea, though, and would be rather messy as it would involve ending all nerve function and disassembling cell walls and the like.  That probably wouldn’t do much against anions that are bonded to a balancing cation charge, though, other than to line them all up nearly parallel by polarity. . .which would perhaps do very weird things to the body, I suppose.  But those probably wouldn’t be the sorts of ions that these people are fussing about, since they’re neutral on a molecular level.  I think that they’re raving about unbonded ions.

Or you could get rid of most positive ions by bombarding yourself with a huge stream of electrons.  Again, that wouldn’t be a very good idea.

And in either case, your shredded remains would ionise again in a short amount of time.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 14 January 2009 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

So THAT’S what happened to me last night!! shut eye

I knew it was SOMETHING out of the ordinary! LOL

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 14 January 2009 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
DavePrime - 14 January 2009 12:31 PM

So THAT’S what happened to me last night!! shut eye

I knew it was SOMETHING out of the ordinary! LOL

Would that really count as out of the ordinary for you, though?

Signature 

Posted: 14 January 2009 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

What the heck did you do to the formatting in your post?!?  shock

ShaneE - 15 January 2009 12:24 AM
Accipiter - 14 January 2009 07:36 AM

In theory, yes.  In reality, no.  Atoms don

Signature 

Posted: 14 January 2009 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16
ShaneE - 15 January 2009 12:25 AM

OOps I think I used for the quotes

Right.  So how about in the future you just go and edit your post to make it correct instead of posting that you messed it up and not bothering to fix it?  Thanks.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 14 January 2009 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16
ShaneE - 15 January 2009 01:14 AM

Oh thanks for fixing it too. grin

You’re welcome.  I’ll give you that one for free. wink

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 15 January 2009 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  737
Joined  2006-12-06

in 1990 we had this semi-famous Dutch singer (Nico Haak) advertising for a similar bracelet. He died of a heart attack in the middle of the campaign and months after his death ads still appeared in magazines of him saying: “I never felt better!” and “I’m never going to take it off!”

Signature 

“I have CDO. Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!”

Posted: 17 January 2009 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  2004-11-10

Have you all forgotten? If you have a problem with ionization you can buy a Q-Ray bracelet and be “balanced”.

Signature 

Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment, you must also be right.
-Robert Park

Posted: 11 June 2013 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2005-10-26

Sorry for the necropost, but this is still the right thread.

Alas, the wife recently bought one of these things, but she went for the ‘deluxe’ >$40 one ‘for better performance’. I shake my head that someone with a degree in Neurobiology is wearing one of them.
But, as I attempted to debunk her very expensive plastic bracelet, i ran into a problem. She countered with ample evidence that they ‘do’ work. Do a search on ‘negative ion testers’ and you will get hundreds of videos and dozens of products being sold everywhere. Ebay, Amazon and of course the bracelet sites. I went through the top 4 pages of a google search trying to find just what the ion testers are measuring. Plenty of ordinary people are buying the testers and comparing bracelets. Its a perfect storm of trolling and making products to prove the troll.
For once, I looked like the nut, because she used my logic against me. “If its not real, why are all those people selling the electronics to go with it. Why cant you find a page saying why its fake”. If I search hard enough, I can find sites calling them out as fake, but they look about as scientifically legit as anti vaccine sites.

So what gives? Has everyone made a secret pact to keep quiet and make money off this?

1 of 2