USB Toaster
Posted: 27 November 2008 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

It’s quite possibly the dream gadget for every hungry workaholic who can’t leave their desk

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 28 November 2008 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

I think the Toaster may actually be a real product, or if it isn’t, it soon will be. It’s rapidly becoming a universal power source for small devices.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 28 November 2008 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2501
Joined  2008-03-23

WTF!!????
well im not gonna go hungry anymore thats for sure. *buys one and uses it for buttah tost…*

Signature 

Why does spellcheck hate me?
GO HERE
Those who wish to fight, must now about eternal might. The blue skies turn red, Maybe it’s time you fled? Why wait for the army to strike when you know you don’t need to fight? Aren’t I right? The flower will bloom, and after the blue skies turn red, out comes your doom.
GO HERE….or else…My pets wont grow

Posted: 28 November 2008 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

Someone has invented it earlier

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 28 November 2008 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Of course, some people could probably just toast their bread on their computer without any need for special attachments.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 21 December 2008 02:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/12/16/gotcha.boxes.onion/index.html

Fake gadgets put the ‘Gotcha!’ in giving

At first glance, it looks like an actual product: A “USB Toaster” that plugs into a laptop to toast a single slice of bread.

“Don’t be tethered to the kitchen! Take your toast ... to go!” reads the ad copy on the slickly designed box, which sports images of a pop-up toaster and a busy-looking guy in a motel room biting into a piece of toast.

You can just imagine some poor sap struggling to look excited on Christmas morning after unwrapping the oddly useless gadget. Once he or she opens the box, however, an inside flap reveals the joke. “Gotcha!” it taunts. “There is no USB Toaster in this box. Even the concept of such a toaster is silly and unrealistic. In reality, you, the gift recipient, have been duped.”

That’s the punch line of the GotchaBox, a series of decoy gift boxes sold through the online store of The Onion, the satirical fake-news outfit. Other GotchaBoxes have featured such nonexistent products as a 28-piece “professional” whisk set and a build-your-own-umbrella kit.

Pranksters are encouraged to put their real gifts inside the gag boxes, then keep a straight face—or better yet, ask sweetly, “How do you like it?”—as the recipient squirms with discomfort.

The boxes are the brainchild of Arik Nordby, a graphic designer from Eden Prairie, Minnesota, who got the idea in 2004 after a birthday party for a friend’s young son. The boy was visibly dismayed when a toy came wrapped in a box for a coffee pot.

“A few days later, it sort of hit me,” said Nordby, who has designed boxes for bike accessories, exercise equipment and other real products. “I love doing Photoshop. I love doing package design. I love to play jokes on people. Why not play around with it?”

Nordby immediately set his sights on The Onion—whose products include a fake atlas, Our Dumb World—as a potential partner. Through persistent e-mails, he finagled a meeting with Sean Mills, The Onion’s president, and brought him a prototype box for a “home dentistry kit.”

In 2006, when The Onion launched its online store, Nordby’s GotchaBoxes were among the first products sold.

“There’s a lot of people who have ideas for goofy T-shirts and things. And they’re not always that funny. But he got The Onion’s sensibility. He just charmed us,” said Glenn Severance, The Onion’s marketing manager. “It makes for great business. Who wouldn’t want to sell empty boxes for a profit?”

The Onion sells the boxes for $7.99 apiece, or $19.99 for a set of four. Other GotchaBox “products” include:

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

‹‹ Hybrid      Dilbert: Always Darkest Before... ››