WWII-US Servicemen/Aussie Pubs/The “CROW” Game
Posted: 17 November 2008 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-11-13

During WWII many US Servicemen were stationed in Australia.  Locals introduced them to the Aussie drinking custom of “Shouting”.  This our way of ensuring everyone gets to pay for his round of drinks by each person in the group paying in turn for the groups’ drinks hence the reminder, “Come on Mate, it is your Shout.”
The Locals considered that the “Yanks” were well paid and could afford to Shout more than the locals could so they invented the game of “CROW”.
They would place the names of local birds on slips of paper into a hat and each would take out a piece of paper.  Whoever drew “CROW” had to “SHOUT” the drinks.  Needless to say it was always the lone yank in the group who drew “CROW” and thus buying the group drinks.
The locals would pat the Yank on the shoulder with declarations of how lucky he was at always drawing “CROW”. grin

(The only name written on all the slips of paper was the name “CROW”.)

When the Local drew his paper out he would declare his bad luck shut eye  by naming another bird other than “CROW”.
Of Course the “Victim” never got to see all of the papers in the hat. cool smile

The Aussies at the time referred to the US Servicemen as: “Overpaid, Over Sexed and Over Here.” but always liked the “Guys” and respected their contribution to the Salvation of the Aussie Mainland from invasion by the Japs even though they duped them into paying for more “Shouts” then was their share.

Signature 

The Digger
” Let He, who is without sin, cast the first stone.”
GOLD, is where you find it.

Posted: 18 November 2008 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

If us Yanks have all this money, where’s my share?  Sad to say the military personnell don’t see a lot of it either while they’re serving.  But they do get a lot of other rewards

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 18 November 2008 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-13

Sorry Mate but I did say the Aussie perspective of the “Yanks” was during WWII.  I hope that you can understand that.

Signature 

The Digger

Posted: 18 November 2008 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08
Digger - 18 November 2008 01:48 AM

The Aussies at the time referred to the US Servicemen as: “Overpaid, Over Sexed and Over Here.” but always liked the “Guys” and respected their contribution to the Salvation of the Aussie Mainland from invasion by the Japs even though they duped them into paying for more “Shouts” then was their share.

The Brits said the same thing.  I wonder if the Aussies actually said this or if they borrowed the concept after the war.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 18 November 2008 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

I can imagine the Aussies had much the same feelings towards the Yanks as we did.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 18 November 2008 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-13

G’Day Charybdis and Renquist,

I imagine the saying was a World Wide thing.  I somehow think it was born from the movie with James Cagney which I think was called “Over THere” where the big musical number was “Over There, Over There, The Yanks are coming———etc.”
Some Wag must have changed it to “Over Here” and it may have even originated during WWI and carried over to WWII.
Even in those days of no Emails, words, phrases and jokes seemed to make their way around the world pretty rapidly considering the media of that era.

Signature 

The Digger

Posted: 18 November 2008 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Digger - 19 November 2008 12:34 AM

G’Day Charybdis and Renquist,

I imagine the saying was a World Wide thing.  I somehow think it was born from the movie with James Cagney which I think was called “Over THere” where the big musical number was “Over There, Over There, The Yanks are coming———etc.”
Some Wag must have changed it to “Over Here” and it may have even originated during WWI and carried over to WWII.
Even in those days of no Emails, words, phrases and jokes seemed to make their way around the world pretty rapidly considering the media of that era.

Well, that song started back in WWI, so who knows when or if it may have been modified?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”