2 of 2
A round Earth?  I think not!
Posted: 09 November 2008 01:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2501
Joined  2008-03-23

Off course earth isnt round its spherical if its round its a flat circle!

Signature 

Why does spellcheck hate me?
GO HERE
Those who wish to fight, must now about eternal might. The blue skies turn red, Maybe it’s time you fled? Why wait for the army to strike when you know you don’t need to fight? Aren’t I right? The flower will bloom, and after the blue skies turn red, out comes your doom.
GO HERE….or else…My pets wont grow

Posted: 09 November 2008 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Robin Bobcat - 09 November 2008 04:07 AM

Flat-earthism takes a rather sort of *deliberate* ignorance, doesn’t it? I mean, you have to really, *really* work at it.

Yup.  You have to deliberately ignore tons of astronomical evidence that you can see for yourself.  You have to keep your eyes closed whenever you’re in an airplane, out at sea, or on some high point with a wide view.  You have to intentionally not acknowledge the matter that when you travel halfway around the world, what was midnight is now noon.  You have to put aside so much common sense, basic physics, history, navigation, and all sorts of other stuff.  You need to keep from putting your beliefs to the test and looking for yourself.  Which just goes to show how much people will lie to themselves in order to believe what they want to believe.  Fortunately for them, “it’s all a huge conspiracy!” is a handy catch-all for all sorts of weird theories like this.

Crafty Dragon - 09 November 2008 05:25 AM

But what about the ones on the bottom of the sphere, like Smerk and Nettie?  Why don’t they fall off?

Why do you suppose that Smerk evolved those long pointy talons?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 09 November 2008 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

Personally, I believe the world is square…..either that, or a parallelepiped.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 09 November 2008 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

“And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped”
“This new learning intruiges me. Tell me again how sheeps bladders may be employed to stop earthquakes.”

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 09 November 2008 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17
Robin Bobcat - 09 November 2008 05:49 AM

*shrip*shrip*shrip*
“G’day, Bruce!”
“Owarya, ‘ary?”
“Oh.. bit crook. A goanna’s glue came off. Bloody thing flew up, bashed me good on the chin before flinging off into space.”

LOL LOL LOL

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 09 November 2008 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  421
Joined  2006-05-29

To go on about historical notions. Columbus was actually considered a fool by many, not because he thought the earth is round instead of flat, but because he either underestimated its size or overestimated the size of Asia. Large navigational maps of coastal regions were based on the assumption of a certain curvature of the earth. Something any sailor could see. It didn’t matter whether the earth was spherical, there was nothing (attainable) of interest there, and it would take way too long to actually go around it. Columbus was just lucky he bumped into an entirely new continent before his supplies ran out.
And if you take a look at theological maps from before 1500 (and some after), the earth is represented as a single continental mass. See: O-T maps. Which most scholars assumed lay on a spherical earth, divided in climate zones and so on.

Signature 

-Paranoid amnesiac: I keep forgetting they’re after me-
Vanquished Illusions and Desire wear Techno-Organic Wings

2 of 2