Vaccination myths?
Posted: 09 November 2008 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Robin Bobcat - 09 November 2008 04:22 AM
I am an ex associate - 08 November 2008 06:48 PM

prior to smallpox vaccinations, millions died or were very disfigured by the disease.  For all you males out there, if mumps were not contracted as a child, do you really want to bet you cojones(sp) on getting it as an adult?

“Mumps is a funny thing.. If you have it as a kid, you don’t get it as an adult. But if you get it as an adult, you don’t have kids. Take *that* you little home-wreckers!” (proceeds to spray the room with more disinfectant) - Col. Maxwell Klinger.

I didn’g get any vaccinations until I Was in my late teens.  I suppsoe that it’s a good thing from the standpoint of future generations of diatom-dragon hybrids that I managed to at least avoid mumps for those later years. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 24 December 2008 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-12-24
Madmouse - 08 November 2008 06:08 PM

http://www.breastfeeding.com/kh_articles/article_58517_1.html

Infants are generally protected from measles for 6 to 8 months after birth due to immunity passed on from their mothers. Older kids are usually immunized against measles according to state and school health regulations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measels#Prevention_and_Public_health

Unvaccinated populations are at risk for the disease. After vaccination rates dropped in northern Nigeria in the early 2000s due to religious and political objections, the number of cases rose significantly, and hundreds of children died.[6] A 2005 measles outbreak in Indiana was attributed to children whose parents refused vaccination.[7] In the early 2000s the MMR vaccine controversy in the United Kingdom regarding a potential link between the combined MMR vaccine (vaccinating children from mumps, measles and rubella) and autism prompted a comeback in the measles party, where parents deliberately infect the child with measles to build up the child’s immunity without an injection. This practice poses many health risks to the child, and has been discouraged by the public health authorities.[8] Scientific evidence provides no support for the hypothesis that MMR plays a role in causing autism.[9] However, the MMR scare in Britain caused uptake of the vaccine to plunge, and measles cases came back: 2007 saw 971 cases in England and Wales, the biggest rise in occurrence in measles cases since records began in 1995.[10]

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), measles is a leading cause of vaccine preventable childhood mortality.

There is alot of poverty in Nigeria. Many do not have running water, electricity, access to good health care, and sewage contaminates their drinking water. (And this info should have been included in that Wikipedia article so as to help people make as informed of a decision as possible) In a country like this, survival chances are going to be dramatically lower. Our own children are not likely to suffer nearly as drastic of consequences of the disease as the children of Nigeria.

Posted: 24 December 2008 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

Nigeria is not the only country rift with these conditions.  In fact problems such as these exist as well in the most seeming prosperous countries where many erroneously believe that ALL citizens and their children have access to not only running water and upscale medical (and other) technology and health care.  These are the children that are even more carefully hidden and forgotten than those in obvious global areas of poverty.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 24 December 2008 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  2005-10-21

Oy.. Necroposting..

Yes, you are correct that Nigeria (and other, similar nations) have a great deal of poverty and hideous health care. The average amount of health care in developed nations is signifigantly better.

However, not everyone in those developed nations receive better health care. Additionally, a large portion of that better health care is simply the availability of vaccinations at a young age. Even with the best health care available to them, there will still be a death rate from those diseases. Any chance I have to keep any potential kids I have from dying of an otherwise preventable disease will be taken.

I will agree that pointing to Nigerian death rates and claiming that developed nation death rates would be the same is irresponsible and alarmist. However that is not what the Wiki article is doing. They are demonstrating the effect that lack of vaccines had upon an area which already had poor health care. As you said, the chances of a child contracting any disease in such conditions are signifigantly lower. As a result, more children will die from disease, as opposed to just ‘being sick for a couple weeks, then getting better’, which is harder to keep track of statistically. Therefore, you can effectively correlate vaccination rates with the death rates, and see that a drop in vaccination rates results in a rise in death rates.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 24 December 2008 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2501
Joined  2008-03-23

I agree huli, Normally people who do this are in fact descendants or people coming from that country or activists for that country you must remember kelly, that my country the philipines is a hell area we also have problems. Also about 80% of the worlds countries are at least developing or have been a developing country, So here thats the problem these days you see the UN and other relief groups go to as many developing countries as they can. I guess Nigeria is one but they cant get that much relief since they help all other countries not just nigeria.

Signature 

Why does spellcheck hate me?
GO HERE
Those who wish to fight, must now about eternal might. The blue skies turn red, Maybe it’s time you fled? Why wait for the army to strike when you know you don’t need to fight? Aren’t I right? The flower will bloom, and after the blue skies turn red, out comes your doom.
GO HERE….or else…My pets wont grow

Posted: 24 December 2008 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-23
Kelly - 24 December 2008 08:53 PM

There is alot of poverty in Nigeria. Many do not have running water, electricity, access to good health care, and sewage contaminates their drinking water. (And this info should have been included in that Wikipedia article so as to help people make as informed of a decision as possible) In a country like this, survival chances are going to be dramatically lower. Our own children are not likely to suffer nearly as drastic of consequences of the disease as the children of Nigeria.

But you must also remember that india even if it is big is also 3rd world and if you say they might be growing that still does not change the fact. It seems that you are saying that we must actually add that information in the article but we must also remember that vaccines are expensive and many people in africa cant get to a hospital many people in africa are iliterate many people in africa have not even heard of vaccines many people in africa still use witch doctors, many people in africa dont know why they have so many children, you must put the fact that theyre not as intelligent as some americans we must remember that people in developing countries all need help not just one country. So basically all countries have dramatically lower survival chances to Hi tech countries also they were using nigeria as an a example about the risk and the power of disease im sure many americans and people not just you know about whats happening in nigeria i mean im just very young and i know about many tragedies.

Signature 

GO HERE
Those who wish to fight, must now about eternal might. The blue skies turn red, Maybe it’s time you fled? Why wait for the army to strike when you know you don’t need to fight? Aren’t I right? The flower will bloom, and after the blue skies turn red, out comes your doom.

Posted: 24 December 2008 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

silver, I think you stated that very well.  I’m actually very proud of you little one!

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 24 December 2008 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-23

*Bow*

Signature 

GO HERE

Posted: 25 December 2008 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

African people know why they have so many kids.  Consider that many societys still put a lot of stock in having a lot of kids.  Catch-22 so many kids die that to have more you ensure that you will have surviving kids.  Include that women often times have little choice in sex relations.

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 25 December 2008 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

The very poor have “so many” kids…not b/c they figure SOMEONE will survive…but b/c of the lack of birth control options or education.  And in places that are patriarchal driven societies, having many children is a sign of strength or super machismo.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 10 April 2013 03:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

An old thread bump, but this is relevant to the topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22085678

It is 15 years since Dr Andrew Wakefield published research suggesting a possible link between the MMR vaccine and autism.

Although both he and his research have been discredited, the MMR scare still casts a long shadow.

That may seem improbable, given that MMR coverage rates now exceed the level they achieved before his claims were published in 1992.

First dose MMR coverage for England now stands at 89% in England and 92.7% in Wales - and latest quarterly figures for both countries suggest rates are edging towards the crucial 95% uptake the World Health Organisation says is needed to provide herd immunity and provide full protection.

But in 2004 it fell to 80% in England and 78% in Wales. That means more than 100,000 children were not protected in that year alone.

There is now a huge cohort of children who are not protected and this has allowed the measles virus to circulate - often infecting babies who are too young to have had the MMR vaccine.

There were 2,016 confirmed cases of measles in England and Wales in 2012, the highest total for 18 years.

The number of cases in the current Swansea outbreak has reached 620.

more at the link.

3 of 4