2 of 4
{/paginate}
Vaccination myths?
Posted: 07 November 2008 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Bebe, those diseases can also kill an infant, or small child.  Why?  B/c their immune system is so new, it has no protection against the disease.  Just as an old persons system is so old, it may not be strong enough to protect.  Because of the large number of children who could NOT fight off the measles & mumps, and the complications involved with them (including chikenpox and shingles…which you CAN get twice…and if you’ve had once can turn into shingles as an ADULT) it was thought that a vaccination against those diseases would be more beneficial than harmful.  The child’s immune system can now fight off the disease if it comes into contact with it…or at least be able to handle it if they get it.  Children who get diseases they have been vaccinated for often suffer less than those who have not been vaccinated at all.  Their body recognizes the disease & sends out the appropriate antibodies.

One thing I do NOT do is the flu vaccine.  Because there are so many different strains of the flu, the shot is only good against the strain that doctors & researchers THINK might be the most prevalent in that particular flu season.  If you run into another strain, your shot was for naught.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 07 November 2008 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

It is true that some people because of age, too young or too old, or those whose systems are now compromised by other medical complications cannot effectively fight off some of these seeming innocuous illnesses. 

That’s pretty much the point though in vaccinating children; not just to protect them, but to also protect others who are vulnerable and may not even know it.  These aren’t just for the single child, but to protect the public. 

Most good parents do take their child into public arenas, home, to the store, movies, restaurants.  While visiting these places many strangers are also about and can be exposed to something a small child is only just ‘coming’ down with that a parent has not yet realized.  It’s during that time that such illnesses can be released upon unsuspecting folks who may become far more ill than the child who has infected them. 

Maegan, I do get flu shots now, even though I know it only protects from certain strains (which continue to mutate).  Several years ago the teen daughter of a very good friend seemed to have a mild cold when we visited.  It was not a cold but a flu and while she was only mildly affected, both Erik and I were severally debilitated and were VERY fearful that we were going to have to go to the hospital.  It was a two-week event and I NEVER, EVER, want to go through it again…I have not been that sick and delirious with fever in many years.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 07 November 2008 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Right…there are plenty of “typhoid Marys” running around that don’t even realize it.  I have a friend that is a TB carrier.  He would never get the disease himself, but he can pass it to people.  So those who come from places where the diseases may still be prevalent may be immune themselves, they can still pass it on to those who have not been vaccinated.  And that was the main reason I thought vaccines were a good idea.  My kids might not spend a lot of time in foreign countries…but people (and animals, and food…and clothes) from foreign countries (and thus not protected against common contagions) are everywhere.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 07 November 2008 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2501
Joined  2008-03-23

I had mumps for 2 weeks then suddenly on the night before i was allowed to go back to school i was sick again and another week in bed.

Signature 

Why does spellcheck hate me?
GO HERE
Those who wish to fight, must now about eternal might. The blue skies turn red, Maybe it’s time you fled? Why wait for the army to strike when you know you don’t need to fight? Aren’t I right? The flower will bloom, and after the blue skies turn red, out comes your doom.
GO HERE….or else…My pets wont grow

Posted: 07 November 2008 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

I have had neices and nephews who have had menigitis.  I am a big advocate of vaccinations because I have seen things that could have been prevented.  I will ask anyone to please protect your and your familys health as much as you can because the alternitive is misery

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 08 November 2008 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
Maegan - 07 November 2008 06:27 PM

Bebe, those diseases can also kill an infant, or small child.  Why?  B/c their immune system is so new, it has no protection against the disease.

Rarely are they fatal.  I’m not sure where you got your info.  Link to it, please, as I’d like to educate myself.  My understanding was that mother’s milk offers most of the immunity a child needs while developing their own immune systems.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 08 November 2008 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
I am an ex associate - 08 November 2008 03:58 AM

I have had neices and nephews who have had menigitis.  I am a big advocate of vaccinations because I have seen things that could have been prevented.  I will ask anyone to please protect your and your familys health as much as you can because the alternitive is misery

A coworkers who sits in front of me got taken away by EMS three weeks ago.  When they diagnosed meningitis, hazmat came in one night and…. well hazmatted our area.  Nice. 

I don’t have a problem so much with vaccinations, but too many at once can be a strain on the body.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 08 November 2008 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Bebelicious - 08 November 2008 12:00 PM
Maegan - 07 November 2008 06:27 PM

Bebe, those diseases can also kill an infant, or small child.  Why?  B/c their immune system is so new, it has no protection against the disease.

Rarely are they fatal.  I’m not sure where you got your info.  Link to it, please, as I’d like to educate myself.  My understanding was that mother’s milk offers most of the immunity a child needs while developing their own immune systems.

Breast-feeding babies does let them build up their internal supply of friendly bacteria in their intestines, which do help in a small way to keep them from being infected by other bacteria.  But as far as antibodies, I believe that the milk only lends the baby the mother’s antibodies, rather than allowing the baby to produce such antibodies on its own.  So for as long as you’re giving your baby your milk it will have your antibodies in its system, but once you stop feeding it on your milk then the antibodies will soon all degrade or be flushed out of the baby’s system, leaving it without any defence against those diseases.  There is some evidence that suggests breast-feeding helps the baby’s immune system develop antibodies faster when the need arises, but that still depends on the baby producing antibodies rather than borrowing them from the mother.

If the baby does contract a disease while you are providing it with your own antibodies against the disease, then that should both keep the disease from harming your baby and let the baby’s immune system learn about the disease and start producing its own antibodies.  But since you don’t know which antibodies you may have or which ones are successfully circulating through your kids, you still don’t really want to be exposing your baby to anything nasty even while it’s all filled up with you milk.

So while milk lends the child the mother’s antibodies for as long as the child drinks the milk, a vaccine (or exposure to the disease itself) gives the child the ability to produce its own antibodies and thus provides long-term self-sufficient protection against the disease.  The vaccine has an advantage over contracting the disease naturally, though, in that the child has much less chance of coming to harm while acquiring the ability to produce antibodies.  Unless you plan to breast-feed your children for their entire lives, vaccinations are going to be your best option.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 08 November 2008 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

http://www.breastfeeding.com/kh_articles/article_58517_1.html

Infants are generally protected from measles for 6 to 8 months after birth due to immunity passed on from their mothers. Older kids are usually immunized against measles according to state and school health regulations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measels#Prevention_and_Public_health

Unvaccinated populations are at risk for the disease. After vaccination rates dropped in northern Nigeria in the early 2000s due to religious and political objections, the number of cases rose significantly, and hundreds of children died.[6] A 2005 measles outbreak in Indiana was attributed to children whose parents refused vaccination.[7] In the early 2000s the MMR vaccine controversy in the United Kingdom regarding a potential link between the combined MMR vaccine (vaccinating children from mumps, measles and rubella) and autism prompted a comeback in the measles party, where parents deliberately infect the child with measles to build up the child’s immunity without an injection. This practice poses many health risks to the child, and has been discouraged by the public health authorities.[8] Scientific evidence provides no support for the hypothesis that MMR plays a role in causing autism.[9] However, the MMR scare in Britain caused uptake of the vaccine to plunge, and measles cases came back: 2007 saw 971 cases in England and Wales, the biggest rise in occurrence in measles cases since records began in 1995.[10]

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), measles is a leading cause of vaccine preventable childhood mortality.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 08 November 2008 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

prior to smallpox vaccinations, millions died or were very disfigured by the disease.  For all you males out there, if mumps were not contracted as a child, do you really want to bet you cojones(sp) on getting it as an adult?

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 08 November 2008 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21
I am an ex associate - 08 November 2008 06:48 PM

prior to smallpox vaccinations, millions died or were very disfigured by the disease.  For all you males out there, if mumps were not contracted as a child, do you really want to bet you cojones(sp) on getting it as an adult?

“Mumps is a funny thing.. If you have it as a kid, you don’t get it as an adult. But if you get it as an adult, you don’t have kids. Take *that* you little home-wreckers!” (proceeds to spray the room with more disinfectant) - Col. Maxwell Klinger.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

{paginate}
2 of 4
{/paginate}