Fish Jumping Into Boat?
Posted: 17 January 2006 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2004-11-08

I got this in an e-mail….  I don’t guess it’s a hoax, but I would sure like an explanation!

http://www.fazed.org/video/view/?id=138

Posted: 18 January 2006 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

Lew Zealand and his Boomerang Fish….  wink

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 18 January 2006 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

You can easily see there are many large flying insects as the video begins so this is an area where the insect population is high enough to keep fish in shallower areas along the shoreline waiting to jump up and pluck juicy snacks. 

Midsummer evening and early morning are the best fishing anyway because new light brings the insects out and close to surface water….if you put a spotlight anywhere you’ll attract the insects to it as most of us know, but if you add a spotlight at night, bouncing it over the surface of water carrying many hungry fish (like bass that love to leap ar large low flying insects) just beneath the surface and THEN rat-a-tat-tat on the side of your boat to further enhance a feeding frenzy (waking otherwise dozing fish) AND excite insects as well…..the fish will really dance for you; and yes, literally leap into your boat.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 18 January 2006 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2006-01-13

In the spring and summer warm nights the fish jump to get the bugs to eat.  This man was shining a light to attract the bugs and the fish will jump in the direction of the boat.  Hince they land in the boat.

Posted: 19 January 2006 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

(http://www.fazed.org/video/view/?id=138
submitted by coit a new member:

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 19 January 2006 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2005-04-22

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/fishfly.asp

Several species of Asian carp native to China have escaped from U.S. fish farms and are now commonly found in the Mississippi-Missouri River basin. Asian carp typically grow to a length of about four feet or more and weigh around 70 lbs., and the silver carp in particular have become notorious for jumping into power boats as those craft ply the river, according to Duane Chapman, a fish biologist with the U.S. Geological Survey
The silver carp is the real jumper of the four Asian carp species now found in the Mississippi-Missouri River basin. These fish seem to hate boats and they’ll jump completely out of the water when a boat is going by, apparently in response to the engine noise. If you crank up a big two-stroke outboard, that really makes ‘em mad.

There have been numerous reports of boaters injured by flying carp and we’ve even had some of our own guys hurt. It’s getting dangerous to be out on the water around here.

If you’ve got a pretty boat and one lands inside, it can be a real mess. I had one over 10 lbs. that hit a stanchion on my boat so hard the head went one way, the body went the other and the blood went everywhere else.
So prevalent are the silver carp in certain rivers