Dog Eat Doug:

Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2008 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-17

Hah!  That’s pretty good.

(And if you would, please provide a link back to the official site/source.  That would be appropriate since you’re posting copyrighted material.  Thanks.)

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 30 August 2008 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2368
Joined  2007-02-06

Link will only be good for 2 weeks. And even then, I gotta wait a day to provide a link seeing as how Newspaper websites work for comic strips. If I left you a link, it would end up being the link to that days comic, and not this one.

Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2008 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-17

But you can still link to the official site for that comic, right?  (Which is what I asked for, not a link to that specific comic.)

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 30 August 2008 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-06

D’uh me. smile

Signature 

Posted: 01 September 2008 02:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-06

On a side note, I did provide the name of the Comic.
Not sure how that sits with ‘copy write’ lawyers.
I still provided the name of the comic regardless. wink

And I see Tah (or someone else) changed my original text to link to the official website.

I still mentioned the Author (so to speak) of the comic. Not sure, by legal standards, that I even crossed the legal law. I did not show it off as my own, nor did I not mention the artist.

Can’t be too careful, I reckon. Then again, I always drive 10kmph over the speed limit on the roads. Seems that slight disobedience is working out fine for me. =)

Signature 

Posted: 01 September 2008 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-06
Tah - 31 August 2008 12:47 AM

Hah!  That’s pretty good.

(And if you would, please provide a link back to the official site/source.  That would be appropriate since you’re posting copyrighted material.  Thanks.)

And just a FYI, the Official site does not have the newest comics up even. So I stand by my original comment.
(It doesn’t help that when I came across the site, I didn’t think it was the official site of said artist/author, because of delayed material.)

Signature 

Posted: 01 September 2008 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-06

*Considers being a lawyer… but then decides, I could end up making myself look REALLY bad during one case.*

Signature 

Posted: 01 September 2008 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2501
Joined  2008-03-23

Dj be a lawyer and everyones gonna kill you…
Hey maybe i can post lawyer jokes here….......

Signature 

Why does spellcheck hate me?
GO HERE
Those who wish to fight, must now about eternal might. The blue skies turn red, Maybe it’s time you fled? Why wait for the army to strike when you know you don’t need to fight? Aren’t I right? The flower will bloom, and after the blue skies turn red, out comes your doom.
GO HERE….or else…My pets wont grow

Posted: 01 September 2008 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-17
DJ_Canada - 01 September 2008 06:10 AM

I still mentioned the Author (so to speak) of the comic. Not sure, by legal standards, that I even crossed the legal law. I did not show it off as my own, nor did I not mention the artist.

If you consider mentioning “the Author (so to speak)” as scanning the comic and hosting it yourself, mentioning the name of the comic and the author’s name being a scribble on the comic itself then, yes, you did mention him (so to speak).

If you really want to know, this could fall under rules #8 (you named the comic but did not provide the link to the site - you didn’t even cite where you got the comic from originally which was obviously a non-web source) and potentially under rule #3.

Yes, this is a copyright violation if the comic’s author and/or syndicate wanted to push it.  There is a reason this recent comic is not on the official site and will not be until two weeks after its publication.  The syndicate gets “first dibs” on the work they are paying for and part of that agreement is that the comic is not to be shown through another source (print or web) until two weeks after it is published by the syndicate.

What you have done is illegally scan a comic and post it online.  One thing that can be used to offset this is to provide a link back to the official site for that comic.  It doesn’t matter that the comic you (illegally) posted is on the site or not.  The other thing is that it is not being used to make money.  (Well, it is kind of since Alex has ads on the site.)

In short, if you’re going to post something - especially someone else’s work - please provide a link to where you got it from.  If you remember and were around, this exact kind of thing is why we now have the forum rules written out and posted.

And I asked politely originally and politely gave a reason why I was asking.  There was no reason to get defensive (and post and post and post and ramble on about it).  All that needed to be done was to provide the link that I asked for (and had to provide - and edit in - myself).  If I ask you to do something in an official capacity I’m usually doing it for a specific reason and will happily share that reason.  Please understand that there is a valid reason I’m asking it and do it.  Thank you.

Signature 

Posted: 02 September 2008 03:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-06

I wrote a very long speech, but decided not to post it.
Logic and morality go beyond technicality.

I am sure author is proud that his or hers comic is mentioned without someone taking personal credit.
(By ‘Personal Credit’, I mean I did not claim it as my own or someone else’s.)

Signature 

‹‹ A Dog’s List      MY LIVING WILL ››