1 of 1
{/paginate}
Michelangelo ‘hid secret code in Sistine Chapel’
Posted: 23 June 2008 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

The ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, which the renaissance artist worked on for four years in the early 16th century, is actually a “bridge” between the Roman Catholic Church and the Jewish faith, according to The Sistine Secrets: Unlocking the Codes in Michelangelo’s Defiant Masterpiece.

The book, which is already on the New York Times bestseller list, is the work of Rabbi Benjamin Blech, an associate professor of Talmud at Yeshiva University in New York, and Roy Doliner, a tour guide at the Vatican.

Scanning through the arrangement of figures on the vast 14,000 square foot ceiling, the authors have found shapes that correspond to Hebrew letters.
Article continues
advertisement

For example, the book states, the figures of David and Goliath form the shape of the letter gimel, which symbolises g’vurah, or strength, in the mystical Kabbalah tradition.

Kabbalah is a set of ancient esoteric teachings which are meant to decode the inner meaning of the Tanakh, or Hebrew Bible, and to explain the reasons for Jewish religious observances.

On the opposite wall, the scene showing Judith and her handmaiden carrying the head of the Assyrian general Holofernes is in the shape of the Hebrew letter chet, which represents chesed, or the characteristics of “loving kindness”.

“There are so many layers of meaning on meaning, and most of it is from the Jewish tradition,” said Mr Doliner on an American television programme.

Rabbi Blech added that all the figures in the nine scenes on the ceiling are Jews.

“He emphasises only Old Testament figures in the entire ceiling, and what he was trying to say was: Why have we ignored our true roots?” he said.

The book adds that the tree of life in the fresco is not, as usually thought, an apple tree, but instead a fig tree according to ancient Jewish tradition.

The authors believe the entire Sistine Chapel, which they say is built to the same proportions as the Holy Temple in Jerusalem, is a “lost mystical message of universal love” which was intended to be decoded.

The authors believe Michelangelo picked up his knowledge of Judaism while at the court of Lorenzo de Medici in Florence.

In addition, they say there are several attacks on Pope Julius II, who commissioned the work, embedded in the painting.

Full Story

Image Attachments
sistine-chapel-404_680767c.jpg
 Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 23 June 2008 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26039
Joined  2004-11-08

This isn’t the first Michelangelo Code* to surface.  What with all the secrets and codes he incorporated into his work it’s amazing any of it makes any kind of sense at all.  wink

*which they mention in the article, but my link has pictures. raspberry

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 23 June 2008 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Gosh, on a 14,000-square-foot ceiling Blech managed to discover some basic linear shapes.  I am impressed.

Of course, I found images on the ceiling that are clearly Morse code, proving once and for all that Michelangelo was a time-traveling alien.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 23 June 2008 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

What a leap, but after the success of past “hidden code” books, videos, we had to know it was coming.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 23 June 2008 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26039
Joined  2004-11-08

Bah.  I’ll be impressed when they uncover the Fraggle code in the Last Supper.  Then I truly will believe.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 23 June 2008 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5527
Joined  2007-03-14

I’m sure someone is working on it.  You may get your wish yet.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 24 June 2008 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

http://www.duelinganalogs.com/comics/2006-05-17.png

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 31 October 2008 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-10-31

Don’t you want to scream “Stop thinking so much! Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar!”  My observation on Michelangelo’s plan is that the faith spans from the Creation to the Day of Judgment.  He focuses on the foundational events and voices of Genesis on the ceiling, the forerunners of Jesus (Old Testament) on the south wall, the life of Christ on the north wall, the Last Judgment on the facing wall, and as the people exit, a contrast of the resurrection of Jesus and the burial of Moses.  Rather than hide a secret code, he was illustrating the Bible, as was the point behind all church murals.  M’s choices reflected the Renaissance acknowlegement of the value of ancient culture, which explains the sybils and other classical figures looking on.

Signature 

“I ain’t no student of ancient cultures.  Before I talk, I should read a book.”—The B52s

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}