{/paginate}
Run your car on water
Posted: 20 May 2008 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2005-10-26

While looking at a legit weather site, there was a google add for this:

http://www.runyourscarwithwater.com/

Basically, run your car on water. I only scanned it, but it’s uses your car battery to convert water to ‘HHO’(whatever that actually is)... blah blah blah. I didnt honestly get past that it uses your car battery as the source of power.

Now, joke sites are fine, but this site is offering a guarantee and has a real paypal link.
Surely that is the kind of thing that gets you fined, and/or arrested for fraud?

Posted: 20 May 2008 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Translation:

Use the car’s battery to break the water into two Hydrogen and one Oxygen (aka HHO), via electolysis. This can be burned, converting back to water vapor.

The trick is, it’s a *wasteful* method. You’re better off running the car directly off the battery. You will notice their method provides no means by which the battery is charged… However, they get to advertise it as ‘running your car off water’, in a method that *does* work, and so can offer all kinds of claims without any fear of legal issues.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 20 May 2008 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2005-10-26
Robin Bobcat - 20 May 2008 02:00 PM

However, they get to advertise it as ‘running your car off water’, in a method that *does* work, and so can offer all kinds of claims without any fear of legal issues.

I dunno, they use these phrases
“Your car will become at least 40% more fuel efficient and produce cleaner emissions”
and the guarantee graphic
“If, after 56 days, you still arent getting better fuel economy….”

Given the work I’ve done on alternate power vehicles, I can feel fairly safe in saying that over the long term, it has no chance of meeting 40% more fuel efficient. Short term battery drain, for a few KM, maybe. But then the battery has to be charged, so the equation balances out.

Anyway, it smacks so much of scam that only those that believe Nigerian Banker scams would believe this, so that should limit them to only a few hundred thousand people.

Posted: 20 May 2008 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

I ran my car on water once, but it sank.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 20 May 2008 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26039
Joined  2004-11-08

Topic on main site, complete with much defending/debunking.

Basically it boils down to ‘yes you can run a car on hydrogen, but it’s far more expensive than running it on gasoline’.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 20 May 2008 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-05-20

Even Click and Clack got dragged into this controversy on Car Talk: http://www.cartalk.com/Radio/Show/09.smil

Posted: 20 May 2008 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Well, if they made the electrolysis and burning of resultant gases a closed system, you could have a theoretically infinate fuel efficiency, as the fuel is continually changing state..But you’d basically be running the thing off the battery in a very inefficient manner.

Far better to buy an electric car.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 21 May 2008 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2008-04-11

Didn’t they use to run cars off water?
It was called steam engines…

Signature 

“My chief task has been to conquer fear” - Houdini

Posted: 21 May 2008 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

I think that was trains, but they used coal to make the steam, so…...

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 21 May 2008 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20
Robin Bobcat - 20 May 2008 02:00 PM

Translation:

Use the car’s battery to break the water into two Hydrogen and one Oxygen (aka HHO), via electolysis. This can be burned, converting back to water vapor.

I think the ones you see all over the web don’t actually run on the hydrogen produced this way, but rather just mix more of the air with hydrogen so that the engine runs extremely lean.  (The claims AussieBruce quoted make me think this is what they’re about.)

Trouble is, typical engines weren’t designed to run that lean (they get really hot) and there isn’t much evidence that doing this hydrogen “boost” does anything like what they claim anyway. 

I saw one of these where the guy filled the gas tank on his hydrogen boosted car, drove it some 50 miles, then topped it off and used THAT to calculate his fuel efficiency.  (If these things are making money, I’ve simply got to make a few more copies of that deed to the Brooklyn Bridge. . . .)

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 21 May 2008 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Hmm.. That would make more sense, and actually provide a fuel efficiency boost without sacrificing a battery to the gods. A few modifications and you’d have the equivalent of running a hydrogen tank line into your engine, which as Joe mentioned, would probably heat it up hideously.

Signature 

Posted: 21 May 2008 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

And it’s not a great deal of hydrogen these things claim to use.  The one I read about said you add less than 1 quart of water per full tank of gasoline.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

{paginate}
1 of 6
{/paginate}