The Cooking Thread
Posted: 17 October 2009 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Awww, now I feel bad.
downer wink

But that other recipe does sound good! And I think I have nearly all the ingredients for it, too.
Nom nom nom.
Thanks, Bebe!

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 17 October 2009 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
Boo - 17 October 2009 05:43 PM

Awww, now I feel bad.
downer wink

But that other recipe does sound good! And I think I have nearly all the ingredients for it, too.
Nom nom nom.
Thanks, Bebe!

I’m just glad that you are too far away to hit me over the head with said finished product after I posted the first one!!!!!  cheese

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 17 October 2009 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I used to cook up heart rather often when I was younger; usually it was either from small game or from buffalo, but sometimes it was goat or sheep.  It’s meat, not organ, being mainly muscle with very little fat unless you leave on the protective layer of fat that surrounds the heart.  So you can cook it up like you would most other meats, really.

Generally what I’d do is either roast it whole, or else mince it really fine and make it into a sort of mash with flour or some such.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 17 October 2009 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 147 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05
Accipiter - 17 October 2009 06:26 PM

It’s meat, not organ, being mainly muscle with very little fat unless you leave on the protective layer of fat that surrounds the heart.  So you can cook it up like you would most other meats, really.

I don’t know about that, but if you are looking for recipes googling “organ meat recipes” will bring you better results than just “heart recipes” or “meat recipes”.  Now if you google “organ recipes” you’ll probably get something weird involving a calliope.  tongue wink

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 17 October 2009 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 148 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Bebelicious - 17 October 2009 11:14 PM

Now if you google “organ recipes” you’ll probably get something weird involving a calliope.  tongue wink

“First, be sure to remove all buckshot from the pipes.  Clean the organ well, removing the stops and any excess veneer.  In a large saucepan, melt eight cups of butter.  Add three onions and a quart of furniture polish. . .”

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 17 October 2009 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 149 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-10

I was googling ‘lamb heart recipes’ but, as I said, they were all stuffed hearts, casseroles, or both.

Signature 

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 14 November 2009 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 150 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9079
Joined  2008-03-02
Tah - 03 December 2008 07:38 AM
Crafty Dragon - 03 December 2008 07:25 AM

I have a recipe floating around here somewhere (but I think I just packed it yesterday…dammit) for pumpkin-chocolate chip muffins.  They’re really good, I never would have thought they had pumpkin in them.  The recipe was from a “gift in a jar” book, so I may be able to find it online, otherwise you’ll just have to wait a month or so for me to unpack it. wink

I would like that recipe, please. smile

I found a recipe!  It uses cinnamon chips, but chocolate could be substituted…Pumpkin chip muffins

ETA: And here are pumpkin chocolate chip muffins! grin

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 15 November 2009 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 151 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

I was reading something at the doctors office the day (probably a 16 year old magazine), and Cloris Leachman was talking about becoming a vegetarian and said that she really enjoys baked potatoes with OLIVE OIL and yogurt.  Well, I know all about yogurt, but I tried the olive oil instead of butter (yeah, I know the calories are the same) and it was very good.  I had some artificial butter flavor flakes and put those on there and that took the place of the salt. 

A very good way to incorporate olive oil into your diet.

Signature 

Posted: 15 November 2009 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 152 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-10

Ooh, which reminds me of the opposite:

Best ever tomato pasta sauce:
70g unsalted butter
Two cans of chopped tomatoes (our cans are about 440g)
A scritch of salt
One onion.

Melt the butter in a pan, then throw in the tomatoes, salt, and onion.
The onion is to be cut in half, not chopped, and should be discarded (or kept for other food) once the sauce is done.

Simmer on low for about 45 minutes, stirring sometimes.

I was dubious, but this is delicious - far better than jar tomato sauces.

Signature 

Posted: 17 November 2009 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 153 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16
Crafty Dragon - 14 November 2009 11:12 PM

I found a recipe!  It uses cinnamon chips, but chocolate could be substituted…Pumpkin chip muffins

ETA: And here are pumpkin chocolate chip muffins! grin

Yay! Yummy!!!  Thanks. grin

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 22 November 2009 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 154 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9079
Joined  2008-03-02

For anyone who wants to try the orange cheesecake recipe I use: enjoy! smile

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

14 of 15