Can anyone suggest reasonably priced anti-spam software?
Posted: 16 May 2008 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

I don’t want to change my email address, but my inbox stays full of emails trying to sell me watches and male enhancement products.  That’s not even counting the junk email folder!  At this point, I’m willing to pay a little something every month.

I knows there’s something out there that sends some sort of email to the sender requiring them to manually OK the email they sent which drastically cuts down on the spam.  Does anybody know what it’s called and if it’s good?

Any ideas are appreciated.  I’m getting about 120 a day directly into the junk folder and about 40 in my regular inbox.  I almost deleted something very important the other day.

thanks

Bebe

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 16 May 2008 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

I get about the same number of spams/day, but as very few people actually send me mail, I can get by with Bayesian filtering and a whitelist. If I could be bothered to set it up, I’d use SpamAssassin myself.

You could either run it as a local mail proxy, in which case it will get your messages, wash them and pass them on to your e-mail client.

Or you could use a commercial service that does the same, only remotely. This costs, but saves you the hassle of setting up and maintaining SpamAssassin for yourself.

Posted: 17 May 2008 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26363
Joined  2004-11-29

We use Mailwasher at home.  There’s a free basic version and a full works version for about $30.  We have the freebie version and haven’t had any trouble with it.  You still have to review the emails before you download them, though.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!