{paginate}
1 of 19
{/paginate}
Strange headache medicine
Posted: 17 December 2005 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2004-11-08

There’s a new headache medicine called “Head-On.”  Apparently, it’s roll-on deoderant style headache-reliever.  (It’s not actually deoderant, but you apply it in the same way…only to your forehead.)

How could this stuff possibly work?  It doesn’t seem logical at all.  Here’s a quote from their website ( http://www.headrelief.com/about_headon.html ):

HeadOn

Posted: 17 December 2005 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  620
Joined  2005-06-30

Sounds like a load of snake oil to me, Sakano. However, it may work for people who aren’t a bunch of skeptics like us: It has been proven that if you belive something will cure you, then it will, and vice versa. In one test, they smeared a cream over subject’s arms and applied heat, telling the subjects that the cream would not protect them. then, they used the same stuff, this time telling subjects that the cream would stop the pain. It worked because the subjects belived it did. Cool, eh?

Posted: 17 December 2005 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  310
Joined  2005-12-17

I’m not sure how you guys define “hoaxes” here.  If something is a real product that’s actually for sale, but that’s based on the placebo effect, is it a hoax?

Anyway, this is basically homeopathy:

http://skepdic.com/homeo.html
http://www.homeowatch.org/

If you don’t want to follow the links here’s some quoted text:

Proponents call homeopathy’s defining principle the “Law of Similars.” (“Like cures like.”) This holds that substances that cause healthy people to get symptoms can cure diseases that have these symptoms.

If the allegedly medicinal substance is soluble, 1 part is diluted in either 9 or 99 parts of distilled water and/or alcohol and “succussed” (shaken) vigorously; if insoluble, it is finely ground and “triturated” (pulverized) in similar proportions with powdered lactose (milk sugar). One part of the diluted medicine is diluted, and the process is repeated to reach the desired concentration, after which it may be bottled or used to impregnate sugar granules.

Advocates claim that the lower the concentration of a substance, the more potent it becomes. This concept, often referred to as the “Law of Infinitestimals,” is the equivalent of saying that the less sugar you put into a cup of coffee, the sweeter it will become. This is just the opposite of the dose-response relationship that pharmacologists have demonstrated.

Signature 

My sole intention is learning to fly

Posted: 17 December 2005 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2005-09-04

It’s a real product, probably, but it is just homeopathy. Homeopathy is a fraud, so it’s a real product, but it works (if at all) by the placebo effect.

Posted: 17 December 2005 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I don’t really see how this would actually stop headaches itself, although it’s true that I’m not really an expert on the stuff.  But as has been mentioned, it would certainly be effective sometimes in curing afflictions such as tension headaches, if the person who was under tension believed that it would work:  they might calm down and become less tense, and the headache would go away. 

Such a placebo effect would probably be a lot less helpful, though, when the headache is caused by ailments such as brain tumours and migraines.  If such people want to take it because they find it reassuring, then I’m all in favour of that, but they’d also best take some measures to deal with the cause of the headache.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 17 December 2005 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

I

Posted: 17 December 2005 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2005-12-17

Seems funny that some idiot would put deoderant on their head.

Signature 

Auxilium meum a Domino

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures
He leadeth me beside the still waters
He restoreth my soul

He leadeth me
in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake
Yea, though I wal through the valley of the shadow of death
I will fear no evil, for thou art with me
Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me

Thou preparest a table before me
in the presence of mine enemies

Posted: 18 December 2005 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26366
Joined  2004-11-29

While it’s not the same as this stuff, I have a little tube of essential oils which was manufactured and sold as headache relief.  Migrastick...Personally, I think I’d prefer to use something like this rather than this Head-On which doesn’t seem to want to list its ingredients on their website…(unless I’ve just been looking in the wrong place?)

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 18 December 2005 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-17

Basically, what does this thing do? It leaks into your pores and . . . ? Maybe they are like little cells which seek out and destroy the migraine cells! I THINK NOT!!!!!

Signature 

Auxilium meum a Domino

He restoreth my soul

He leadeth me

Posted: 18 December 2005 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

That’s what I was confused about too, Euro.  It just doesn’t seem like the type of thing that would work. (By the way, cute icon!)

Does yours work for you, Smerk?

Posted: 18 December 2005 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-17

L’elephant

Signature 

Auxilium meum a Domino

He restoreth my soul

He leadeth me

Posted: 18 December 2005 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26366
Joined  2004-11-29

I find that it does.  It’s probably more due to the aromatherapy of the oils (lavender & peppermint) than the action of rolling it on you temples.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

{paginate}
1 of 19
{/paginate}