{paginate}
3 of 12
{/paginate}
The Roslyn Hoax
Posted: 05 May 2008 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-05-01

There may be some confusion with the Garde Ecossaise, formed c. 1420 and another William Sinclair but alanpeters.tripod.com/knightstemplar….  says a William Sinclair, probably a nephew of the William Sinclair who build the chapel, was the first to join the Scots Guard and there were four Sinclairs in the regiment in the 16th Century.

David B. - 04 May 2008 06:09 PM

Howard Brown [...] is a direct descendant of William the Conqueror

*pfeeep!* Unsupported assertion, that’s a five yard penalty and loss of down!

You obviously haven’t read Howard Brown’s genealogy thread. www.jtrforums.com/shothread.php?t=1352&page=3
However they still call him Howard the Bastard over there.
Touchdown? Converted?

Posted: 06 May 2008 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

Genealogy is all unsupported assertion.

Posted: 06 May 2008 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Agreed. Granted, with advances in DNA, we can trace family lines with some freakish accuracy. Determining exactly who is related to which notable historical figure is largely done purely on the say-so of whoever wrote the history of the family tree. One great-grandmother who felt it more fashionable to tell people she was related to the princess than the scullery maid, and your data goes out of whack on an epic scale.

Also, being able to trace lineage to a given ancestor becomes increasingly unimportant, the further back you go. The number of people ‘related’ to Genghis Khan is staggering, but that’s mostly because he lived so long ago.

Scientists *have* determined that all humans share a common female genetic ancestor. Does this mean that at one time there was only one female? Nope. It means that her progeny spread far enough that there are no isolated human tribes that they didn’t interbreed with, eventually.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 06 May 2008 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2006-07-26

Can anyone join in this game?

Why should the mystical Milk Marketing Board be sought overseas? No: parsimony suggests we should look closer to home

Posted: 06 May 2008 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

*takes Outeast’s temperature, tsks a bit*

It’s ok, you’ll be better in a week or two.. Here, have some soup.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 06 May 2008 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

If my family is any indicatation, I may be related to the prince through the scullery maid.

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 10 May 2008 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-05-01

This is the earliest source I’ve found online to this Ripper Davinci Code Hoax. It’s from a Jack the Ripper thread on the Oak Island forums, second last entry, by someone using the username Harry Oakes. It won’t link up so I’ll quote some of it here. Dated June 2007:

Did Mary Jane Kelly, last victim of Jack the Ripper, have a child with Sir Arthur Sullivan of Gilbert and Sullivan or is this the latest version of the infamous Royal Conspiracy theory made famous by Stephen Knight?...
Mary? Prostitute? A secret baby?... Where have we all heard that before?... For the last few years, Dan Brown’s Davinci Code has rocked the world. Coincidentally, tracing this latest rumour takes us right to another man named brown. This time it’s Howard Brown of jtrforums.com, the place for all things Ripper…..

“This is just like Dan Brown, Pierre Plantard, and Holy Blood Holy Grail!” said a source from jtrforums.com. “I think it’s a hoax!”
“Certainly not our Arthur!” said a shocked source from Sullivan Archives online.
The verdict from Ripperologists and Sullivanites alike seems to be unanimous. It’s a hoax.

H. Oakes

I wouldn’t doubt Arthur shagged Mary if she was within 100 miles of the Savoy. She is said to have had a gentleman friend who took her to France in 1884. Arthur went to France in 1884. She also said she had a relative on the stage and lived in Knightsbridge. It’s hard to dismiss offhand.

Posted: 11 May 2008 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Fou Cault - 11 May 2008 03:51 AM

This is the earliest source I’ve found online to this Ripper Davinci Code Hoax. It’s from a Jack the Ripper thread on the Oak Island forums, second last entry, by someone using the username Harry Oakes. It won’t link up so I’ll quote some of it here. Dated June 2007:

Did Mary Jane Kelly, last victim of Jack the Ripper, have a child with Sir Arthur Sullivan of Gilbert and Sullivan or is this the latest version of the infamous Royal Conspiracy theory made famous by Stephen Knight?...
Mary? Prostitute? A secret baby?... Where have we all heard that before?... For the last few years, Dan Brown’s Davinci Code has rocked the world. Coincidentally, tracing this latest rumour takes us right to another man named brown. This time it’s Howard Brown of jtrforums.com, the place for all things Ripper…..

“This is just like Dan Brown, Pierre Plantard, and Holy Blood Holy Grail!” said a source from jtrforums.com. “I think it’s a hoax!”
“Certainly not our Arthur!” said a shocked source from Sullivan Archives online.
The verdict from Ripperologists and Sullivanites alike seems to be unanimous. It’s a hoax.

H. Oakes

I wouldn’t doubt Arthur shagged Mary if she was within 100 miles of the Savoy. She is said to have had a gentleman friend who took her to France in 1884. Arthur went to France in 1884. She also said she had a relative on the stage and lived in Knightsbridge. It’s hard to dismiss offhand.

If she’s recorded as going to France in 1884 and he can be proved to have been in France in 1884 at the same time then yes, that is perhaps something.

But it still has nothing whatsoever to do with Dan Brown. Like I said:

1. Mary is a common name because it’s used in the Bible. Especially popular amongst poor Irish Catholic girls, who comprised most of the protitutes in Whitechapel. There would have been literally thousands of prostitutes called ‘Mary’.

2. A secret baby is a very, very, very common cliche in fiction. And in real life, thousands of girls of good families got knocked up, had the child in secret which was sent to an orphanage and the mother usually to a convent. Conversely the amount of royals who’ve sired bastards is beyond measure. Nil points.

3. Two people called ‘Brown’. One of the most common names possible. There must be hundreds of thousands of people called ‘Brown’ in the world right now.

Coincidences are only important if they’re not ridiculously likely. You can’t connect the dots because two people share a very, very common name or one book has a common plot element of another, especially if that plot elemtn is in countless other books. I bet someone could connect Winnie the Pooh to Jack the Ripper if we had to.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 11 May 2008 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23
Renquist - 11 May 2008 04:15 PM

I bet someone could connect Winnie the Pooh to Jack the Ripper if we had to.

They both have the same middle name for a start!

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 11 May 2008 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21
Sharruma - 11 May 2008 07:00 PM

“Oh bother,” said Jack, “That foul painted jezebel’s blood has stained my new trousers.”

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2008 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Robin Bobcat - 11 May 2008 09:24 PM
Sharruma - 11 May 2008 07:00 PM

“Oh bother,” said Jack, “That foul painted jezebel’s blood has stained my new trousers.”

Never read the story where the Ripper dresses up as a raincloud to make the prostitute take cover in a alleyway where he slices her up?

Althogh my favourite was the one where the fat prostitute tried to climb out the window in Jack’s house only to get stuck and he uses her legs as a coatstand.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

{paginate}
3 of 12
{/paginate}