2 of 12
The Roslyn Hoax
Posted: 03 May 2008 01:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-05-01

1. Mary Jane Kelly said she had a brother named Henry in the Scots Guard. Henry Sinclair, grandfather of the builder of Rosslyn Chapel,  came from a family of Scots Guard. Sinclair promoted the association of Rosslyn with many Arthurian legends and Arthur Sullivan, named Arthur of course, wrote incidental music for a King Arthur opera.

You want to give me 3 similarities for a random example? Are you sure? I happen to actually believe in the Rule of Three, as expressed by Goldfinger. One is happenstance, Two is coinicidence and Three is enemy action!

I tend to think these types of Grail legend/stories/hoaxes are a vestige of the 60s. I have 2 examples starting in the 70s. A third, if you could come up with one, would at least prove to me it’s more than mere coincidence.

Posted: 03 May 2008 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
Fou Cault - 03 May 2008 05:47 AM

1. Mary Jane Kelly said she had a brother named Henry in the Scots Guard. Henry Sinclair, grandfather of the builder of Rosslyn Chapel,  came from a family of Scots Guard. Sinclair promoted the association of Rosslyn with many Arthurian legends and Arthur Sullivan, named Arthur of course, wrote incidental music for a King Arthur opera.

You want to give me 3 similarities for a random example? Are you sure? I happen to actually believe in the Rule of Three, as expressed by Goldfinger. One is happenstance, Two is coinicidence and Three is enemy action!

I tend to think these types of Grail legend/stories/hoaxes are a vestige of the 60s. I have 2 examples starting in the 70s. A third, if you could come up with one, would at least prove to me it’s more than mere coincidence.

I forget you are new here.  I’m saying give a couple of random events, say the May 2005 eruption of Mt. St. Helens and the death of Princess Diana.  Nothing to do with each other.  I’m willing to bet that David could come up with a plausible connection to show you how many people are taken in by the kind of logic you describe in the first post of the thread.  If you picked out two similar events (or even three) there wouldn’t be much of a challenge.  I picked on David and Acci because I’ve seen the two genius’ do it with quite some flair in the past.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 03 May 2008 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

WaveOfMutilation has just asked for similarities between the Norman conquest and the formation of the Milk Marketing Board.
Well, David? Acci?
wink

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 03 May 2008 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-01

I have 2 [“holy grail/bloodline”] examples starting in the 70s. A third, if you could come up with one, would at least prove to me it’s more than mere coincidence.

How could I forget? Joseph Sickert who recounted the Royal Conspiracy for the BBC in 1973 was said to be the son of the artist Walter and Elizabeth Crook, the secret daughter of Prince Eddy and Alice Crook. I believe some of that to be fact-based. Who’s to say Prince Eddy didn’t have a kid? I don’t think this one had anything to do with the Ripper case though.
Mary’s alleged child has to be a different story if he is real. I know the newspapers reported Mary had a child and never retracted it. An error? Leading to a hoax? How can you prove it’s all a mistake or a hoax if it’s unsolved?

Posted: 03 May 2008 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Boo - 03 May 2008 11:58 AM

WaveOfMutilation has just asked for similarities between the Norman conquest and the formation of the Milk Marketing Board.
Well, David? Acci?
wink

Any particular Milk Marketing Board?

Let’s see. . .well, the Pennsylvania MMB website has a picture of a Holstein cow on it.  The state of Holstein was, of course, the territory of the Duke of Holstein-Gottorp, who later became czar Peter III of Russia.  As everyone knows, Peter III was overthrown by his wife, Catherine (the Great), who then set out on a program to modernise Russia. . .in large part by taking the example of France.  This involved the settlement of lots of people from France in Russia.  And of course, the Norman Conquest involved a lot of people from what is now France settling in Britain.

Furthermore, looking around at the history of the formation of the PMMB, I see lots of words written in Modern English.  The last of the major influences on the English language was, of course, the melding of the Anglo-Saxon language with the Norman langauge after the Norman Conquest.

And finally, remember that Harold Godwinson’s sons raided the Norman invaders in Devon around 1068.  And of course Devon cattle are related to the same original wild cattle that were domesticated long ago and led to the eventual rise of the commercial milk industry. . .and thus to the formation of milk marketing boards.

That’s the best I can do right now, as I’m a bit rushed for time.  grin

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 03 May 2008 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

*applauds*

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 03 May 2008 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-01

Normans and Milk?

Howard Brown of jtrforums and Roslyn Hoax fame is a direct descendant of William the Conqueror. AND he likes to eat Philly cheesesteaks, cheese being a dairy product!

Posted: 04 May 2008 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

Howard Brown [...] is a direct descendant of William the Conqueror

*pfeeep!* Unsupported assertion, that’s a five yard penalty and loss of down!

Posted: 04 May 2008 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Not at all bad for a rushed job, Acci.
wink

Sorry, Fou, those are not the events I listed…

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 04 May 2008 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

I am so missing the connections here.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 05 May 2008 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

Henry Sinclair, a member of the Royal Scots Guards, a regiment founded in 1642, built Rosslyn Chapel?

Which was built in the 15th century?

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

2 of 12