2 of 2
Yale fetus hoax
Posted: 21 April 2008 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
outeast - 21 April 2008 08:57 AM

I seriously doubt that it *is* true, but if it is, then…

First off, I seriously challenge the claim that this is indicative of mental illness. Why should it be? Her explanation sounds pretentious, but pretention is hardly an indicator for mental illness.

Second, why should she *not* do this if she wants? Self-medicating with ‘abortifacient herbs’ (ie unregulated treatments in naturally variable doses with no assuranced of safety or efficacy and a real risk of unassessed side-effects) is risky and stupid, but people do as much all the time (alt med is big business). But it’s worth bearing in mind how soon after insemination she ‘aborted’: 13-19 days, meaning 4-11 days after implantation of the conceptus. That’s a pretty damn immature embryo - think 3mm at most, looking something like this. It’s also at a stage when many women miscarry without even knowing about it (this study, for example, suggests that as much as 25% of pregnancies miscarry before the 6th week, mostly without the woman even knowing she’s been pregnant).

So before we get into the abuse, how about keeping a sense of perspective on what would be being ‘aborted’ - even if she *was* actually trying this, and even if she *was* getting pregnant. For neither of which, as she says, there is no evidence whatever…

If being a pretentious wanker is indicative of a mental illness I could have almost all of the Glasgow School of Art sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 22 April 2008 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10
Renquist - 21 April 2008 11:10 PM

If being a pretentious wanker is indicative of a mental illness I could have almost all of the Glasgow School of Art sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

LOL
And the Edinburgh College of Art…

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 22 April 2008 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Boo - 22 April 2008 10:22 AM
Renquist - 21 April 2008 11:10 PM

LOL
And the Edinburgh College of Art…

Darn those Scottish artists. . .  wink

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 23 April 2008 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5509
Joined  2007-03-14

I keep wondering when that dragon is going to bite off one of the appendages in your avatar Acci.  tongue wink

Back on topic.  Personally I can’t imagine that this sort of thing can be good for her physical condition.  She must have some sort of total detachment from her emotions and common to think that this was some kind of art that would be generally accepted.  I never understood performance art to start out with but this strikes me as an extreme case that wasn’t very well thought thru.  I would imagine almost every womans group on campus is on her ass right now.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 23 April 2008 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2006-07-26
gray - 23 April 2008 02:30 PM

some kind of art that would be generally accepted

What artist wants ‘general acceptance’? i’m sure she’s lauded among her clique. (And remember, the spunk was donated - so there seem to have been at least some chaps who went along with the plan.)

Actually, that makes me wonder: how did she keep the old swimmers viable?

Posted: 23 April 2008 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Doesn’t repeated miscarriage cause scarring in the uterus?  Or maybe that’s just with a repeated DNC.  I’m not sure.  Anywho…scarring the uterus is bad.  It can cause miscarriage or rupture in wanted pregnancies.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 23 April 2008 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2006-07-31
Maegan - 23 April 2008 10:05 PM

Doesn’t repeated miscarriage cause scarring in the uterus?  Or maybe that’s just with a repeated DNC.  I’m not sure.  Anywho…scarring the uterus is bad.  It can cause miscarriage or rupture in wanted pregnancies.

Repeated abortions can cause scarring, though I would think that it would be with D&C;abortions.

Signature 

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste very good with ketchup.

Do not enter a battle of wits unarmed.

NEVER play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Posted: 24 April 2008 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

Meh, from the sound of things, she was (in theory) getting rid of things possibly before they’d even had a chance to implant, unlike ‘traditional’ abortions/miscarriages, so scarring would’t have been an issue any more than the usual visits from Aunt Flo.

If we assume a normal human ovulation cycle of once every four weeks, with no hormanal imbalances disturbing the cycle, with next-day ‘rejection’, you’re not going to get anything visibly more than would show up regularly every four weeks. Even a one or two month fetus is going to be hard to discern from the rest of the material involved.

Of course, it’s all about the *cough* ‘artistic’ *cough* value of the piece, so saying you’re putting up a bunch of blastocysts will get you a lot more press than saying ‘Here’s a bunch of used pads’.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

2 of 2