{paginate}
1 of 2
{/paginate}
Yale fetus hoax
Posted: 18 April 2008 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-03-25

The internationally reported art project of a Yale University art major who said she would document a nine-month process during which she artificially inseminated herself “as often as possible” while periodically taking abortifacient drugs, has been revealed as a hoax.

Yale released a statement today indicating that senior student Aliza Shvarts “stated to three senior Yale University officials today, including two deans, that she did not impregnate herself and that she did not induce any miscarriages.” The statement added, “The entire project is an art piece, a creative fiction designed to draw attention to the ambiguity surrounding form and function of a woman

Posted: 18 April 2008 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2006-07-26

Did anyone actually see this reported *before* this outing as a hoax?

Posted: 18 April 2008 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2008-04-11

Sacre merde! That’s art? I think I’d prefer a velvet painting of kittens!
confused

Signature 

“My chief task has been to conquer fear” - Houdini

Posted: 18 April 2008 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2007-06-27

I never really did get performance art.  raspberry

Sounds more like a publicity stunt to me, though.

Signature 

And of course, with the birth of the artist came the inevitable afterbirth—the critic.

Posted: 18 April 2008 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

This lassie was obviously trying to make a name for herself but it doesn’t seem like anyone much gave a shit.

Now it she’d have thought of Bonsai Kittens…

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 19 April 2008 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17
Perception Manager - 19 April 2008 03:58 AM

Here’s a photo of the vile creature.  Sort of looks like Amy Winehouse, no?

Ummm…
Not really, other than having dark hair and being female.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 19 April 2008 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

Well this isn’t exactly a news site, but:

She says it’s not a hoax

“For the past year, I performed repeated self-induced miscarriages. I created a group of fabricators from volunteers who submitted to periodic STD screenings and agreed to their complete and permanent anonymity. From the 9th to the 15th day of my menstrual cycle, the fabricators would provide me with sperm samples, which I used to privately self-inseminate. Using a needleless syringe, I would inject the sperm near my cervix within 30 minutes of its collection, so as to insure the possibility of fertilization. On the 28th day of my cycle, I would ingest an abortifacient, after which I would experience cramps and heavy bleeding.

To protect myself and others, only I know the number of fabricators who participated, the frequency and accuracy with which I inseminated and the specific abortifacient I used. Because of these measures of privacy, the piece exists only in its telling. This telling can take textual, visual, spatial, temporal and performative forms

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 19 April 2008 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

Even in someone who believes in abortion (I don’t) this would have to illicit digust.  Surely no one meant such a difficult choice/decision was never intended to be so casual.

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 19 April 2008 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

That’s a tremendous slap in the face to any of the many, many women who have suffered the trauma of a miscarriage. If it’s true.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 20 April 2008 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Perception Manager,

I don’t stand behind what she has done at all, but please refrain from calling her or anyone else names like that on this forum.

It’s in poor form, especially when you concede that she is also probably mentally ill, and it only reflects poorly on your own character.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 21 April 2008 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2006-07-26

I seriously doubt that it *is* true, but if it is, then…

First off, I seriously challenge the claim that this is indicative of mental illness. Why should it be? Her explanation sounds pretentious, but pretention is hardly an indicator for mental illness.

Second, why should she *not* do this if she wants? Self-medicating with ‘abortifacient herbs’ (ie unregulated treatments in naturally variable doses with no assuranced of safety or efficacy and a real risk of unassessed side-effects) is risky and stupid, but people do as much all the time (alt med is big business). But it’s worth bearing in mind how soon after insemination she ‘aborted’: 13-19 days, meaning 4-11 days after implantation of the conceptus. That’s a pretty damn immature embryo - think 3mm at most, looking something like this. It’s also at a stage when many women miscarry without even knowing about it (this study, for example, suggests that as much as 25% of pregnancies miscarry before the 6th week, mostly without the woman even knowing she’s been pregnant).

So before we get into the abuse, how about keeping a sense of perspective on what would be being ‘aborted’ - even if she *was* actually trying this, and even if she *was* getting pregnant. For neither of which, as she says, there is no evidence whatever…

Posted: 21 April 2008 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Like I said on the main blog page: Shock Value. Publicity Stunt. Attention Whore.

True or not, she’s mashing a hot button good and hard while screaming ‘Lookit me! Lookit mee! Loook at meeeee!!!’.

No, it’s not art. Art requires talent and skill. If I defecate onto a photograph, it is not art, no matter how much pretentious crap I spout from my other end claiming otherwise.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

{paginate}
1 of 2
{/paginate}