Act repeal could make Franz Herzog von Bayern new King of England and Scotland
Posted: 08 April 2008 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Posted here, because it could be a conspiracy…

Gordon Brown is considering repealing the 1701 Act of Settlement as a way of healing a historic injustice by ending the prohibition against Catholics taking the throne.

But doing so would have the unforeseen consequence of making a 74-year-old German aristocrat the new King of England and Scotland.

Without the Act, Franz Herzog von Bayern, the current Duke of Bavaria, would be the rightful heir to the British Crown under the Stuart line.

The bachelor, who lives alone in the vast Nymphenberg Palace in Munich, is the blood descendant of the 17th-century King Charles I.

“If it [the Act] goes then the whole Catholic line is reinstated,” said Prof Daniel Szechi, a lecturer in early modern history at the University of Manchester.

“Franz becomes the rightful claimant to the throne. We would just exchange one German family for another one.”

The Act was introduced as part of the power struggle between Parliament, the Christian churches and the monarchy, then dominated by the House of Stuart.

It prohibits any Roman Catholic from having access to the throne, even through marriage. Once a person marries a “Papist” they shall be “for ever incapable to inherit, possess or enjoy the Crown”, it asserts.

The legislation effectively severed the Stuart line of succession, a family who favoured Catholicism, and switched it to their distant relatives the Hanoverians, from which our current Queen descends. James II, the son of King Charles, fled into exile.

The Stuarts stopped making claims to the Crown after the death of Henry Benedict Stuart (known to the Jacobites as Henry IX) in 1807, but there remains bitter feeling among many Catholics at their treatment.

The Royal Stuart Society still holds annual vigils at the bronze statue of Charles I in Trafalgar Square.

The Act of Settlement’s reach continues today. Prince Michael of Kent renounced his claim to the throne when he married Marie-Christine von Reibnitz, a Catholic divorcee, in 1978.

Next month Peter Phillips, 30, the eldest grandson of the Queen and 11th in line to the throne, will automatically lose his birthright by marrying Autumn Kelly, a Canadian Catholic.
advertisement

The Act has recently come under attack from Church leaders and MPs, in particular Scottish MPs, as an unjustifiable discrimination.

In the face of this new pressure, the Prime Minister indicated he would consider abolishing the legislation as it was “antiquated” and discriminatory.

Full Story

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 08 April 2008 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

Hmm.. I may have to pay attention to this.. I’ve got a pretty much straight shot to the Stuart nobility through my grandmother. I may qualify as a Duke or some such..

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 08 April 2008 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

I don’t understand.  Repealing the act simply means Catholics can now assume the throne.  I’m missing the part where it automatically reinstates Charles’ line.  Sure they would have the right to make a claim for the crown (and assuredly be denied), but how do they figure to oust the current royal family?  That usually involves bloodshed, and I don’t see that enjoying too terribly much popular support.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 08 April 2008 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27
Charybdis - 08 April 2008 02:37 PM

I don’t understand.  Repealing the act simply means Catholics can now assume the throne.  I’m missing the part where it automatically reinstates Charles’ line.  Sure they would have the right to make a claim for the crown (and assuredly be denied), but how do they figure to oust the current royal family?  That usually involves bloodshed, and I don’t see that enjoying too terribly much popular support.

Interesting you mention bloodshed, [dejavu] since there are two princes… [/dejavu]

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 09 April 2008 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5510
Joined  2007-03-14

Yeah, but they can arm wrestle for it.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 13 April 2008 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Charybdis - 08 April 2008 02:37 PM

You’re correct.

The act only prevents Catholics from inheriting the joint throne of England and Scotland (and by extension Wales and later Northern Ireland and the Commonwealth). All it would mean is that future monarchs could be Catholics and Catholic claimants wouldn’t be disqualified due to their faith. It would not remove the current line.

But as usual, the media jumps on a small footnote in the political agenda and just makes things up.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 14 April 2008 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Yeah. . .if removing the ban would retroactively make this guy potentially king, then the same could be said for literally thousands of other people.  If the House of Stuart could simply be reinstated and the incumbents kicked out, then why not one of the pre-Norman lines?  Think of how many people there probably are out there today who are related in some way to Edward the Confessor.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 15 April 2008 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Accipiter - 14 April 2008 06:13 AM

Yeah. . .if removing the ban would retroactively make this guy potentially king, then the same could be said for literally thousands of other people.  If the House of Stuart could simply be reinstated and the incumbents kicked out, then why not one of the pre-Norman lines?  Think of how many people there probably are out there today who are related in some way to Edward the Confessor.

Not many. I hear he fought for the other army nudge-nudge…

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 15 April 2008 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

Maybe we Dutch should take over again.

Signature 

Trust me.