{/paginate}
Lamppost ‘cushions’ for idiots
Posted: 04 March 2008 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

Link

Lampposts on East London’s Brick Lane have today been wrapped up in padding to protect Britain’s clumsy texters.

The renowned capital curry haunt has been highlighted as the most dangerous place for mobile phone users to be texting with Londoners frequently picking up injuries ranging from bruises to fractured bones.

Whether it be the perils of walking into a lamppost while not keeping your eyes on the road or careering into a bin after a couple of drinks at a local drinking establishment, the street apparently poses many menaces to dozy phone users.

And in order to stem the flow of ailments anything potentially harmful is being wrapped in cotton wool, or at least brightly coloured padding.

Brick Lane has now become the first ‘Safe Text’ street in the UK, with rugby post-like cushioning put around the 10 of the road’s higher-than-average number of lampposts.

If the trial proves a success then other capital danger-zones, including Charing Cross Road, Old Bond Street, Oxford Street and Church Street, Stoke Newington, will also be set for some extra padding.

According to a survey of 1055 Britons by text information service 118118, which is overseeing the pilot scheme alongside public space charity Living Streets, one in ten Britons has injured themselves while walking and texting in the last 12 months.

Nearly half (44%) of those asked said they would be happy to see protective pads put on lampposts, and one in four Britons (27%) would support a ‘Mobile Motorway’

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 04 March 2008 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

For scientific testing in the future, I reckon…

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 04 March 2008 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9094
Joined  2008-03-02

Oh. My. Gawd.  Who is supposed to *pay* for that crap?!?  Not to mention, if they’re too stupid to watch where they’re walking, then they deserve to walk into crap!  Maybe they’ll eventually learn their lesson, and, um, STOP TEXTING WHILE THEY’RE WALKING!!!  Ugh, I am so fed up with people wanting other people to take care of them!  Erk.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 04 March 2008 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5530
Joined  2007-03-14

I would much prefer to just leave things as they were.  If someone is stupid enough to walk into a lamppost while texting they obviously aren’t paying attention to where they are going and deserve to get a cracked skull.  Any injuries they get should serve as a wake up call.  Any of them looking for sympathy can look in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis. 

However being human nature to blame anyone or anything but themselves, they seem to have raised enough of a stink that the lampposts are now being padded.  No wonder my hopes for the future of humanity are growing dimmer by the day.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 04 March 2008 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

I don’t walk into stuff whilst texting (I don’t text much, for one), but I do sometimes when I’m reading a really engrossing book.
And do you know what?
It’s my own damn fault. It’s no-one else’s job to protect me from it.
wink

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 04 March 2008 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1318
Joined  2007-05-06

Oh my God. I made a joke about this a few years ago when I was making fun of nanny-state politics.

Signature 

So I can just type anything and it will show up here?

Posted: 04 March 2008 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

If I text as I walk down the street, I make sure there’s a clean avenue of passage for me so I don’t walk into a person, animal or lamp-post.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 04 March 2008 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16
Crafty Dragon - 04 March 2008 06:34 PM

Oh. My. Gawd.  Who is supposed to *pay* for that crap?!?

The same people who pay for the medical bills for the injuries since they have socialized health care?

But I agree, this is really stupid and going beyond sensible.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 04 March 2008 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17
Boo - 04 March 2008 07:27 PM

I don’t walk into stuff whilst texting (I don’t text much, for one), but I do sometimes when I’m reading a really engrossing book.
And do you know what?
It’s my own damn fault. It’s no-one else’s job to protect me from it.
wink

I did that a few years ago while walking to college. I was completely engrossed, and walked straight into a bike that was chained to a lamppost. red face

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 04 March 2008 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

If these people are so routinely oblivious to what’s going on around them when they’re walking along, then getting the occasional wake-up call from walking into a lamppost is probably a good thing.  Maybe it will get the message across to them before they do something more drastic such as wander out into traffic or into an open drain.  By telling them that they don’t need to take any sort of personal responsibility in such a basic thing as looking where they walk, they could get into the habit of thinking that everybody else is simply going to look out for them all the time.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 04 March 2008 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

I’m known around my town (village?) as one who walks and reads at the same time.  I haven’t suffered more than surprise when someone honks at me.  Surely if you know the route you’re walking you can be concious enough the know your surrondings?  This for me is a been there done that

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 04 March 2008 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

*pounds*

*head*

*against*

*desk*

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

{paginate}
1 of 3
{/paginate}